Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal WR250/450

Can WR's be mad street legal for use in NY? If so what is required, how do you go about it, and are there any cons to riding a WR on the road other than NY drivers.

Thanks!

Hey there... I just got hubby a WR250F for christmas.... The dealer kinda "forgot" to send the paper that said it was an off road vehicle and the state sent the plates... this is in Vermont though... also here if the bike is under a certain cc's you can register it... BUT you will not get it inspected... so you kinda have to be careful! Why do you want to ride on the road anyway??? He does it for dual sport purposes... thats about it!

Hey there... I just got hubby a WR250F for christmas.... The dealer kinda "forgot" to send the paper that said it was an off road vehicle and the state sent the plates... this is in Vermont though... also here if the bike is under a certain cc's you can register it... BUT you will not get it inspected... so you kinda have to be careful! Why do you want to ride on the road anyway??? He does it for dual sport purposes... thats about it!

You bought Hubby his bike? Very cool! :thumbsup: My wife lets me buy bikes but has no interest in them. I've seen enduro type bikes outfitted with directional lights in Maryland. I have plates for my 04 250F, but it is not insured. They're not on the bike! You are supposed get dirt bikes registered and insured in NY; which is required by law if you ride the bike anywhere other than your own property. NY has rules for minimum liability insurance requirements for motorized vehicles including dirt bikes. Currently I'm sure many pay no attention to it unless of course you are riding on NYS owned land where it is mandatory or face fines. I just want to be able to get more time on the bike.

I'm interested in this as well for NY ...... as I've got a place in upstate that I visit several times a year .....

You bought Hubby his bike? Very cool! :thumbsup:

Yes.. now I can ride more often and not listen to him complain that he doesn't want to ride his big old dr350 (1997)!

He has his bike on our insurance too! It is all "legal" but like i said not inspected. He has been to a few dual sports in NY... can't think of the name! something w/an H.... ANYWAY. That was with his DR and had no problems.

So we are guessing the same will happen with his WR. Good luck to you!!! :bonk:

BTW... did you change the trottle stop? if not... get a yz250 trottle stop and put it on the wr250.... the power change is UNBELIEVABLE!

Your wife "lets" you buy bikes?

Whadda you 6 years old?

I am also a "street legal" :thumbsup: 05 WR 250 VT. rider. I am always looking for new trails. One would think they are everywhere here. I am finding it is very open to those in the know. If you know of any good rides drop me a line in the spring. i also ride with my 8 and 11 year olds. :bonk:

Oh Yea, I have the plate and you should insure the bike as well. If you are stopped with out insurance your license will be suspended. :thumbsup: Insurance is cheap. Inspection is only an $80.00 ticket with no points. Don't ask how i know this stuff I'll have to kill you, just kidding. :eek:

OutThumped

Outthumped... State or local cop?!!! lol and if you don't mind me asking where are you located in VT? We have a 3 yo daughter who will start riding this spring... santa was very generous and brought her a 2005 crf50! lol ANYWAY.... PM me and keep in touch!

Dear Butterfly,

Local, The Burlington area, Did you buy the crf 50 from me? I sold my son's bike to a couple from Milton.

I just picked up my wr and the track is nice and muddy. I would normally be snowmobiling on it, but you see the lame winter we are having it has been warm enough to ride.

later Out Thumped :thumbsup:

Dear Out Thumped.. .AKA COP! lol No we got the crf50 brand new. We are not from Milton... we are in Jeffersonville. You went to milton this past weekend? We rode around the yard... it was really fun!

Hey there jetbluejoe, did you ever find out about ny dp conversions? I just saw a write up on the SDM (Six Days of Mich.) and that sure looked like some fun. I think something along the same lines but a NY version would be a great thing to have happen ...... if we ever got approval from the Adirondack Park Agency and the State on NY .....

Here are the steps to legalize and "offraod" titled moto in VT..

1st bring it to someone who will make it legal and then certify that it is to the state.

2nd go to the state and show (I think there is paperwork) to the state they then will register the bike.

3rd bring it back to the person who made it legal with the new reggy and proof of insurance then he/she will inpsect it ..

This is good for any cc.

There is tons of trail riding for those in the know!! The secret is to keep the ones in the know to a minimum or else it gets shut down!

Butterfly

I just did the final mods to my WR 250 and went riding yesterday in my ever improving yard/track. I got 20 truck loads of dirt from the town when they were improving the ditches we drive into on the side road.

It was a mud fest. It started out about 36 degrees. The ruts started to grow much to my liking. I rode until my hands and face froze.

I managed to hose off the bike and put it away. It was 17 degrees when I came in. I think that will be it until it snows. I like to ride in the right snow conditions. It is like an EVOC course. :thumbsup:

I have met a guy who owns "Dirt Bike Stuff" in Bolton. He has told me of a lot of riding in the area and he has an enduro club.

What are you riding? Has hubby made any changes on his bike yet. I let mine break in first. Talk to you soon. I am an E-Mail virgin. Please forgive my lack of savvy on the net. :bonk::thumbsup:

Any way pray for snow

Out Thumped