Sign in to follow this  

New '04 WR250F versus used CRF250X

Went out to look at a used 2004 CRF250X. Great shape, dealer offered it to me at $3500. Then they showed me a new 2004 WR250F, for "around" $4900.

Thoughts on which is a better value? I'm an intermediate level trail rider.

Ed

RUN, don't walk away as quickly as possible, from the CRF!

Check out the CRF forum for all of the fun and games with the valve train on these bikes.

(This will stir the pot :thumbsup: )

Looks like the 2004 WR250F is a RED sticker bike here in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia... No thanks, that doesn't work for us. I can get valves fixed, but a red sticker bike is always a red sticker bike. Too bad, it seems like a really nice trail bike.

We've already got three 2005 CRF's and they've been flawless. No wrenching needed. :thumbsup:

Guess I'm not the sort of guy who is limited to one brand. I like most of them...

My mates got a 04 CRF-X & he's never had problems with valve train etc, He's put more than a 100hrs on it, I've got an 04 WR250F & both bikes are great, The Honda has plusher suspension than the Yamaha, The Yamaha has more torque down low, In a drag they are about the same, Buy whatever suits you & your wallet :thumbsup:

Go for the honda. I rode my CRF250X on average three to four hours a day all spring, summer and into fall and it has never had a problem. And plus, the suspension, handling and engine are all great. I don't know why everyone is complaining about honda's valves. If you clean your air filter and do the suggested maintenance you'll be fine.

Go for the honda. I rode my CRF250X on average three to four hours a day all spring, summer and into fall and it has never had a problem. And plus, the suspension, handling and engine are all great. I don't know why everyone is complaining about honda's valves. If you clean your air filter and do the suggested maintenance you'll be fine.

Typical quote from some one who does not have the valve problem. They think they do something special to keep the bikes vales in specifications.

They are both great bikes. I ride my friends WR all the time and it is great (except your bent up brake lever, you know who your are :thumbsup: ). My CRF is great also and has been bullet proof except the valves (and I do the maintenance). The CRF is great but the valve train is a issue. It is not a deal stopper but it is something to consider. I have 4.3 hours on my 06 r head and I hope it is a true fix.

I like Honda's but I would pass on the 250X and go with the extremely reliable WR250F.

Well, some good comments... As of tonite, I think I'll go make a deal on a CRF250X tomorrow. Found a guy with a beautiful CRF, and he needs cash NOW. We really don't want a red sticker bike, and the good deal '04 WR250F is definitely red sticker. So, to get into a green sticker WR, you have to go 2005 or newer. Don't think I can get a 2005 WR for $3200~. At least not immediately. I'll keep my eyes open, and when I find someone who needs cash, I'll make a deal on a WR then. There's always someone who gets themself in a financial bind, so I bet a red hot deal on a WR will come along. I would like to own both for a while and really see which we like better.

Happy riding... :thumbsup:

You'll probaby enjoy the CRFX. They handle very well. Check your valves early and often.

Found a 2005 WR for $4000. Sounded good until we learned it too is red sticker. Can't imagine why such a neat bike is red sticker, would have been nice to get.

just take his into consideration all of the topics in the crf forum are about VALVES!!!! just rebuilt my 2001 with alot of hours on it had the head ported and the guy said all my valves looked GREAT only had to replace valve seals and i actually could of used the old seals just replaced them as a preventive measure so take that into consideration. i would buy the 04 over the used crf why buy somone elses headache???

Typical quote from some one who does not have the valve problem. They think they do something special to keep the bikes vales in specifications.

Jvann13 I totally agree!

I would listen to the people that have CRF's WITH the valve problems, rather than the people without. I highly doubt that every owner experiencing the the valve problem is not taking care of their bike properly. There are plenty of people on TT that do the required maintenance, and take great care of their bikes and still experience problems. IMO it's a poor design that needs to be corrected, time will tell if the '06 CRF's will be reliable. That brings up another point if this problem doesn't exist why has Honda claimed to update the design/material of the valves in '05 and now again in '06?

To be green sticker legal on the WR250 you will have to go to the '06 model. In '05 only the WR 450 was green sticker legal