Sign in to follow this  

What oil are you guys running? -TE450

Hey Guys,

I am new to this site. This is my first post..........I can't beleive how much information there is on this site. Congratulations on the wealth of Knowledge!

I own a Husky TE450 2005 model and I would like to know what oil you guys are using. The Service book states AGIP 10-60 Racing 4T. This is a synthetic oil.

Do you use Synthetic oil? or Mineral based and change it more often?

If you do use Synthetic at what intervals (in distance) do you change?

Thanks for your help

I am using Motorex 10w50 Fully Synthetic,I did the first 2 changes at 1/2hour and 2 hours,probably do the next after a couple of rides,500ks,make sure you clean all the screens,there are 2 separate screens on the left side of the bike,I missed the lower front one at the first oil change,it was bloody tight when I eventually found it.I am also using Motorex Valve Guard,lead replacement in the fuel,the more protection for the Ti valves the better,this is on a 05 TE 250,this is the recommended stuff from Rand D,I bought it there.I also use 98 octane,high compression motor.

I am using Motorex 10w50 Fully Synthetic,I did the first 2 changes at 1/2hour and 2 hours,probably do the next after a couple of rides,500ks,make sure you clean all the screens,there are 2 separate screens on the left side of the bike,I missed the lower front one at the first oil change,it was bloody tight when I eventually found it.I am also using Motorex Valve Guard,lead replacement in the fuel,the more protection for the Ti valves the better,this is on a 05 TE 250,this is the recommended stuff from Rand D,I bought it there.I also use 98 octane,high compression motor.

I'm curious, how many miles do you have on that and have the valves moved?

Thanks.

RedLine 20w-50 full synthetic after break in. I might use 10w-60 if we had it in the states. I change it and the filter and clean the screens about every 300 miles. I think change intervals really depend on how and what terrain you ride. :thumbsup:

Castrol Syntec here. Weight depending on temperature. I change the oil and clean the screens every 8-10 hours after breakin. I change the filter every third oil change. The 8-10 hours is all off road Norcal type terrain which usually includes a little bit of fire road blasting, but mostly tight stuff and hills.

I think any good synthetic oil without friction modifiers should work quite well. At the end of the day oil is cheap, and it is soooo.... important.

On my street bikes and car/truck I change oil and filters every 2000 and 3000 miles respectively.

My bike has only done 270km,I have not checked the valves,with the 2 year warranty

and the required servicing at 800 kms I have not bothered,I bought it as a run out before the 06 bikes arrived,its a 05 TE250,BTW its the ducks guts,translation,I am VERY happy with it.If I ride every second weekend thats a service every 3 months,I do

the oil changes and air fuilter so the cost is minamal and well worth the warenty.

Thanks for the help guys. Full Synth it will be then. :thumbsup:

Barrobuild, I am in love with my TE450 also. My previous bike was a Yamaha WR450.

Spectro ONLY!

Call me set in my ways but it has always worked well for me.

I dumped the "Break In" Oil at about 200 Miles and am using Spectro now, change it about every 100 Miles or so and I change Filters EVERY TIME!

C'Mon, it's a $6000 Motorcycle, Filters are $5...why would you put Fresh Oil in it and NOT change the Filter?

No reason not to change the filter other than if you change the oil as often as you and I do the filter does not have much of a chance to get dirty. It sure does not hurt anything to change the filter.

I have been using Bel -Ray EXP 10W-40 dino oil because it is the winter. It seems to shift fine with this oil. The first oil filter on the left side was REALLY tight. I thought I was going to strip the screw. After removing it I found it had blue Loctite on the threads. Since i plan on cleaning the filters after each oil change, I am not going to put anything on the threads.

No reason not to change the filter other than if you change the oil as often as you and I do the filter does not have much of a chance to get dirty. It sure does not hurt anything to change the filter.

I think your reasoning might be a little off here. Regardless of how much you change your oil your filter gets dirty at about the same rate as it is trapping anything heading its way. Your oil will look cleaner but the clutch and gears etc. that contaminate the oil are still doing this at basically the same rate. the fresh clean oil will help slow the process a bit but you still need to do your filter.

As for oil, they are all good these days. TT is full of oil posts and as not many of us are chemists pick a good oil with NO friction modifiers, easy to find and reasonable priced and run it.

I personally use Redline, Rotella or Amsoil.

I'm a fan of Shell Rotella T synth 5w-40, but since Husky recommends 10w-60 Full synthetic...the high temp viscosity of the 5w-40 concerned me.

So, for ~$7.50/qt (actually 1 liter, 1.06 quart) shipped (USA), I bought the Agip 10w-60 from

http://www.performatek.com/general/...IPpriceList.htm

The price isn't so bad, especially when compared to gas!

$180 for 24 quarts, 1.5 qts. per change with filter every 300 miles = $11.25/change. I ride about 3000 miles a year, 10 oil changes = $112/year for oil the engineers at Husky recommend doesn't seem too bad.

For the same miles I'll use about 100 gallons of gas (figuring 30mpg) at what $2.80+/gallon...food for thought. I'm not going to skimp on the oil.