bbr damping rods

how do you install bbr sp-5 damping rods on a 2002 xr70

zach357

I just installed a set on a 03 xr70.

1 )Remove the handle bars and the front wheel.

2) Leave the forks in the triple clamps until you loosen the allen bolt at the bottom of the forks

3)I had to use an impact driver with a allen headed socket to loosen these bolt. They use loctite to install these. If you do not use the impact driver then you will strip out the allen heads. (Do not remove the allen bolts until you drain the oil from the forks or you will have a mess to clean up)

4) Remove the top triple clamp, but do not loosen the lower triple clamp. You then loosen the forks cap and then you loosen the lower triple clamp.

5)Remove the forks from the lower triple clamps, remove the fork caps, remove the springs, then you drain the oil. Pump the forks several times to remove all the oil.

6)Remove the allen head bolt from the bottom of the forks, carefully pull the fork tube from the sliders.

7)Disassemble the forks pieces and reassemble in reverse order using the new bbr damping rods. I had to use my old damping rod seals because the bbr one were larger in diameter the the stock ones.

Go to Ronnie's http://216.37.204.202/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp?Type=13&A=137&B=26 site for an assembly drawing of the forks and all other parts of the bike.

What do they do?

I have been wanting to do this mod to my bike and was wondering if they add any travel to fork and if so do they raise the bike up any. Is this something you like did you notice a difference with them THANKS

i heard that sp5's are hopped up 70 forks. wil the damping rod upgrade make them sp5's besides the springs

Yes it did raise the front of the bike up a little, I put in heavy duty springs in at the same time and added 30wt non detergent oil set at 100mm from the top of the fork tubes with them fully compressed. I have not reallly had a good chance to test the setup as I am adding a sano swing arm and an Elka shock for a xr50. I have to make a upper shock mount mod (reposition the mount further back and a little lower on the frame. This will allow me to set the bike level with a little increase to the steer tube rake so that it will turn quicker. The Elka shock will not work with the stock swing arm, it hit the sub frame cross member and it will also not with the sano swing arm with out re-positioning the upper shock mount as it interfers with the swing arm shock mount, but by moving the upper shock mount back it adds ride heigth and clears the swing arm shock mount. It will be a little while before I get this mod done as I am also reinforcing the frame to handle my weight and size (6ft and 225lbs).

do u know if those bbr dampening rods that u guys have for ur xr 70 forks will fit on my forks. I have this bike http://www.outlawpowersports.com/SSR110_C3_p/ssr110-c3.htm

I have that same bike just that mine is not from outlaw powersports. Anyways I want a slower rebound and i was wondering if this upgrade will do it? Do u think it would fit on my forks ?

sorry zach357 that i posted this in ur thread, but i thought that while everyone is on the topic i might as well ask.

Fiddys rule

I don't know if the damping rods would work with your forks without you disassembly your forks and then measuring your damping rods, (if your forks have damping rods). I know that the crf/xr70, crf/xr80 and crf/xr100 use a similar damping rod just different lengths i believe, you might look at the 2 other bike for a possible donor for parts. The crf/xr70, crf/xr80 and crf/xr100 also use the same hubs with different size axle spacers and also use some of the same parts that bolt the damping rods to the sliders i.e. oil lock and allen bolt with the copper seal at the bottom of the forks. All 3 bikes have the same size diameter forks (27mm) there for you can use (crf/xr70, crf/xr80 and crf/xr100) forks in any of the triple clamps. All 3 use the same brakes shoes also. Go look at the web site that I posted earlier in this thread to see a parts diagram of the forks. I hope this info helps.

Fiddys rule

I don't know if the damping rods would work with your forks without you disassembly your forks and then measuring your damping rods, (if your forks have damping rods). I know that the crf/xr70, crf/xr80 and crf/xr100 use a similar damping rod just different lengths i believe, you might look at the 2 other bike for a possible donor for parts. The crf/xr70, crf/xr80 and crf/xr100 also use the same hubs with different size axle spacers and also use some of the same parts that bolt the damping rods to the sliders i.e. oil lock and allen bolt with the copper seal at the bottom of the forks. All 3 bikes have the same size diameter forks (27mm) there for you can use (crf/xr70, crf/xr80 and crf/xr100) forks in any of the triple clamps. All 3 use the same brakes shoes also. Go look at the web site that I posted earlier in this thread to see a parts diagram of the forks. I hope this info helps.

Thanks for the advice it does help to some extent. At least i know that if i c a good pair of forks from any of those bikes then i will grab them.

From just plane old fork oil changes i know that my forks have the big spring that drops in and then alittle spacer that goes right on top that sits against the spring and the top cap. I also know that these forks don't have oil dampening. The bolts at the bottom are just for oil drainage. I haven't gotten to c the inside of the bottom portion of the forks but i can't c how a dampening rod would fit, or do anything sitting inbetween the spring on the top portion of the fork. I thought that those dampening rods could just be put into any fork that is the same style as the xr/crf 70 but i guess not. I still don't completly know how they work. Because the pictures on that site u sent arn't very detailed. But i asked bbr if they could make a tech vid that has to do with installing their dampening rods into an xr 70 fork. So hopefully by watching that vid i will get an idea of how it all works. Thanks for all your help and knoledge

By the way i just remembered that my forks are 33mm oil filled so i guess that means the xr/crf 70 forks will not fit into my triple clamp, will it ?

And also i will post a thread in the pit bike section to c if anyone with forks like mine have put those dampening rods in them. That should solve all my problems. thanks again

I'm about to do the same install on my son's bike. I was about to post a question on what seals to use or even if the BBR damping rods come with new seals.

CRIBABY...

You mentioned trouble w/size/fit with what the BBR guys sent you. Did they pork the parts list? Would you recommend picking up a set of stock Honda seals before starting the install?

Thanks for any info...respectfully, E.

Ok...so I answered my own question about installing the SP-5 damping rods.

Sounds like BBR’s white nylon piston rings....someone else in another thread referred to them as seals....may be slightly oversized for some reason. Not sure if older XR’s require the larger piston rings or what. Either way, you see this in other threads, lot of guys wind up having to swap out their old piston rings onto the new BBR rods. This worked well.

Here’s a pic of the offending rings...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=23522

This link was everything I needed for directions. Thanks to crybaby for helping out the fellow TT’ers.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332284

This link is what I found when trying to decide how to best set the oil level in the forks.

http://bbrmotorsports.com/Products/Install_Instructions/630-HXR-5203.pdf

We’ll see if BBR’s directions for oil quantity work. Instead of setting an oil height I wound up setting a quantity. I’ll let everyone know how this goes. I set the bike up w/stock springs, and 10W oil w/about 3.8oz per fork. This fork setup, plus the longer swing arm fit my 70lb rider perfectly.

Here’s a pict of the fork components after they come apart. From right to left....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=23519

The fork bolt (top plug w/o-ring) underneath the chrome fork pipe, next is the stock damping rod w/rebound spring installed, (see the larger BBR damping rod below it), then finally the lower fork case. The gold allen bolt (8mm) is the bolt at the bottom of the lower fork case that you loosen but don’t remove prior to taking the entire fork out of the triple.

Here’s a pic of the completed bike.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=23516

SP-5 forks, 3.8 oz of spectro per tube, new fast mini’s top triple, and new +1.5” swing arm w/stock shock.

Son and I hit the local motocross track today. This new setup was great for him. Now that we have his suspension dialed for about the next 1.5yrs (they grow fast... ugh says the wallet), we attack the horsepower shortage next. Cheers all , E.