05 vs06

has anyone rode both the 05 and 06 yz250? if so have you noticed much difference if any. From what i can see there is very little difference and all. I am looking to buy another bike and if the 05 is the same and cheaper i will take it.

thanks

I havent rode a 05 but I own a 06 and I let someone ride it that owns a 05.

He said my 06 was crisper and the forks felt firmer.

Just from watching people on the track... it seems like the 05's suspension is too soft. I see them blow through thier stroke too easy (especially the forks).

I personally think the 06 is better, and I'm sure others will agree.

2006>

Front forks are much improved, although my 05 forks are WAY better than the 04 earlier forks.

Nice new adjustable top t clamp/bar mounts.

Rear sock has a larger shaft

Rear caliper is new...feels the same

New front #plate and front fender.

Then engine is identical.

If someones 06 is crisper than your 05, you prolly are coming due for a rebuild on the top end.

I have ridden both bikes. The 06 suspension is way superior. My 05 had Race Tech Gold Valve kits on it. I thought it was the best suspension ever, until I started riding my 06. The forks are the biggest improvement.

Motor wise no difference.

If you can get a 05 for a good price buy it put the Race Tech kits on if you feel you need it and you will not be sorry. One thing to remember is you are buying a year old bike and re-sale value will take a hit.

Yes... Coop said it, the 06 has a different pipe than the early 05's had. Thats what makes the 06 Crisper.

The 05 and 06 have the identical pipe bro. I work on them all day long. Not sure where you got your info? Maybe the first couple off the line had a different pipe?

If you can get a 05 for a good price buy it put the Race Tech kits on if you feel you need it and you will not be sorry. One thing to remember is you are buying a year old bike and re-sale value will take a hit.

Unfortunately, it seems like you'll take a resale hit on any 2 stroke these days regardless of year. ?

Maybe it is just inexperience, but the only dif I can realy feel between my 03 and my buddies 06 is in the forks, mine are pretty harsh mid stroke... his feel pretty plush. Power output feels the same. One of the other guys we ride with has an 04... he has springs rated for his weight and a revalve... feels amazing, certainly as good as my pals 06... otherwise, the power and egros feel pretty much the same... I thought about getting an 06, just not sure if it would realy be worth it.

i have the 06 and ride 100% trails. i used to have the 05. If you can afford the 06 go for it. All me mates i ride with have yz250 ranging from the 1999-2006. I have riddemn each one for maore than an hour and they just keep getting better including the 05 to 06. I dont like bragging but we ride some serious shit out her in Aus in Canberra and i can tell you the 06 shreds all terrain. Me and my friends are all the same ridding level and my 06 gets everyone who has ridden it up this one hill called "death ridge" were as on there bikes none of us can make it.

Maybe coinsidence maybe luck. But me and my mates put it down to my bike.

CRISP, LIGHT, PLUSH SUSPENSION, AWESOME BIKE TRAIL OR MX.

Maybe it is just inexperience, but the only dif I can realy feel between my 03 and my buddies 06 is in the forks, mine are pretty harsh mid stroke... his feel pretty plush. Power output feels the same. One of the other guys we ride with has an 04... he has springs rated for his weight and a revalve... feels amazing, certainly as good as my pals 06... otherwise, the power and egros feel pretty much the same... I thought about getting an 06, just not sure if it would realy be worth it.

Most likely your buddies 06 still has the stock (extremely restrictive) air filter, where as most of the older YZ's already have a better flowing aftermarket filter.

Yamaha uses a really low flow heavy duty filter on the stock bike so it will meet its 30 day warranty even if the filter is never cleaned. Basicly, its junk!

Imagine this... If that 06 with the stock filter is just as good as the older YZ's then imagine how it runs with a Uni or twinair!

Yeah. Even though Twin Air does flow better than stock... it is the most restrictive aftermarket filter. The uni filter flows the best but I wouldnt recommend it for extremely dusty conditions.

The stocker is so thick, dence and small that I dont know how a 250 can even breath with that filter.