Poll: Red Sticker Commute

When it is "Red Sticker Season", do you have to drive much further to ride?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. When it is "Red Sticker Season", do you have to drive much further to ride?

• None, I can ride the same area.
    • None, I ride my Green Sticker bike.
    • 25 miles extra round trip, in vehicle with good gas mileage.
    • 50 miles extra round trip, in vehicle with good gas mileage.
    • 100 miles extra round trip, in vehicle with good gas mileage.
    • 100+ miles extra round trip, in vehicle with good gas mileage.
    • 25 miles extra round trip, in vehicle with bad gas mileage.
    • 50 miles extra round trip, in vehicle with bad gas mileage.
    • 100 miles extra round trip, in vehicle with bad gas mileage.
    • 100+ miles extra round trip, in vehicle with bad gas mileage.

Kev, there's another aspect to this that your poll doesn't cover. When riding my red sticker bike during the ban season I am often doing so at a private track or a location that doesn't require an entrance fee. That means I am not paying money to the state to ride my bike. This reduces fees collected by the state OHV parks and national forests that have OHV trails. That is money that is sorely missed as the budgets of these facilities are already strained to the breaking point. All for the negligible air quality benefits provided by the red sticker program. Benefits that are probably negated by the extra pollution I create by having to drive farther during the ban season to ride. This is why the ban season makes so little sense. It doesn't stop the operation of these OHVs, it simply shifts it from public to private riding areas. ?

Good point. I was just curious if people were driving a long ways due to the red sticker program, which would be counter productive.

Another mistake was the Green sticker option should have been.

"None, I ride my Green Sticker bike. I leave my Red Sticker bike at home."

Indicating a bike is left at home, which is an option for those who can afford extra motorcycles.

Gorman inforces the Red Sticker the other areas don't.

Link:http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/news/2002mar/caohvstickers/

Non-Resident Permit: As of January 1, 1998 you will need to purchase a special "Non-Resident OHV Permit" if you are not a California resident AND your off-highway vehicle or snowmobile is not registered in your home state. An Arizona “RV” plate is not registration and is not valid for OHV’s being used in California. For Arizona OHV information, visit the Arizona State Parks website at http://www.pr.state.az.us/partnerships/ohv/safety.html. To find out where these Non-Resident OHV Permits can be purchased and to get more information on the program, please contact a local Ranger or contact the OHMVR Division at:

Non-resident permit sales locations

Kev, there's another aspect to this that your poll doesn't cover. When riding my red sticker bike during the ban season I am often doing so at a private track or a location that doesn't require an entrance fee. That means I am not paying money to the state to ride my bike. This reduces fees collected by the state OHV parks and national forests that have OHV trails. That is money that is sorely missed as the budgets of these facilities are already strained to the breaking point. All for the negligible air quality benefits provided by the red sticker program. Benefits that are probably negated by the extra pollution I create by having to drive farther during the ban season to ride. This is why the ban season makes so little sense. It doesn't stop the operation of these OHVs, it simply shifts it from public to private riding areas. ?

ewww your such a rebel your new screen name should be james dean

Another scarier thought, I keep hearing the sounds of a rumour that 2007 will be the end of the Red sticker and from then on out Race bikes will be for Closed Course only. In other words we will be forced to either get green sticker bikes or older bikes. In my case I already ride only Green, my X is green and My 2 smoker is a 97 so it is also Green

Another scarier thought, I keep hearing the sounds of a rumour that 2007 will be the end of the Red sticker and from then on out Race bikes will be for Closed Course only. In other words we will be forced to either get green sticker bikes or older bikes. In my case I already ride only Green, my X is green and My 2 smoker is a 97 so it is also Green
You think that's scary try this. How about if you showed up at an SVRA or other riding area and were turned away with your green sticker bike because the ranger deemed it to be modified? Think it can't happen? There are already laws on the books, state and federal, that make it illegal to modify or tamper with the emission control devices on ANY motor vehicle. That means a change of mufflers, removing the AIS system, even taking the cap off the carb to gain access to the fuel screw are all actions deemed to be tampering. It's only a matter of time before enforcement begins. Imagine having to run your bike completely stock in order to maintain its green sticker status. Now that's scary!!! ?

Maybe by then the manufactures will do what the automotive industry had to do. Eventually produce off road motorcycles that meet emission limits AND produce decent power.
Car manufacturers were forced to do so because passenger vehicles make up a large portion of the emissions problem. OHVs are a miniscule fraction of that equation. Unlike hot rodders and car buffs, we often find ourselves in situations off-road that could be life threatening. Do we really want to face them riding over-regulated, under-powered, over-smogged motorcycles? I don't.