Answers for a torn bicep?

Hey guys...early sat morning, I tore part of my left bicep carrying a heavy cooler. (I heard the rip, have the pooled blood bruise at the elbow etc, cant use it or straighten it much). I have a snug but not tight ace bandage around it to give support till I can see a doctor, but wonder what the outcome will be. I have lifted weights all my life(I'm 36) stay in good physical condition, and have never torn anything, till now. Any body else had this happen, and would you think I would need surgery to get as near to normal as I can? Thanks

a biceps tendon torn from its insertion at the elbow NEEDS to be repaired. If it is a muscle tear, it can be treated with exercises.

Is pretty easy to determine which is wiich. Make a muscle with the good arm. Feel the tendon.

Do it on the other side. If you can feel the tendon you're ok. If not it needs to be fixed.

Ok, Ive curled up my good arm and flexed my bicep, and have pressed down into the flesh between the belly and the elbow pit, and I feel a very firm finger like connection, which I assume is the tendon, right?

When I do it on the left arm, nothing there....I need help dont I?

That tendon is history. Its repairable, but you can't wait a long time. We have had good results with repairs, although it is rare if a guy could curl as much as he used to do. Still, it is infinitely better that leaving it alone.

I was afraid you'd say that..... ? I have an appointment with my doctor next thursday, who has to give me a referral for any surgery for my insurance....how long of a recovery can I expect?

By the way, a simple thanks is never enough for peace of mind, but, from all of us on TT, we are really grateful to you for giving of your time and talents to put us on the right track to wellness. God Bless you and thank you.

Neal Cameron

It has to be repaired with through the bone sutures or suture anchors. This will not be strong enough to start moving for six weeks. Since it is an extraarticular issue, there shouldn't be much stiffness in the elbow.

After the cast is removed, it will take about six weeks to get all the motion and some strength back, and an other eight weeks to make it reasonably strong enough for sports.

Unfortunately, there is little I can think of to take a signifigant amount of time off this.

That sounds bad. I think I tore a bicep muscle almost a year ago. I have tried to favor it, taking it easy, but it still hurts. Just a dull ache, but I dare not do curls. It's better than it was, but it's taking too long to heal. I'm 50, so I don't quite have age on my side.

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I had a complete distal bicep tear a couple weeks ago. Surgery 2 days later with endobutton to re-attach. Arm brace with no lifting for 4-6 weeks with therapy, then I can work on strength.

Not a fun experience.

I realize this is an old thread, but I had a complete distal bicep tear a couple weeks ago. Surgery 2 days later with endobutton to re-attach. Arm brace with no lifting for 4-6 weeks with therapy, then I can work on strength.

Not a fun experience.

It is a long recovery................. Took me about a year to regain 100%. If you did it at work talk to a comp attorney. There are a few things to look into.:worthy:

Keep the faith. I did mine last year beginning of May and was back riding by end of July. I know that sounds insane, but I recovered very fast. My doc encouraged movement early on, so I was using it 3 weeks after surgery. Don't get me wrong, it sucked, but not near as bad as I thought it would. No problems at all since then, although it looks a bit different than before.

I feel your pain I just get the same diagnosis and still have not made a decision on surgery or not but I think after reading some of your stories and recovery times I will probably get it done. Becarful everyone.

• 1 month later...

The surgery and the first few weeks of recovery was worse than the tear, but I'm glad I had it done. Since the tendon ends up being shorter it takes patience and time to stretch things back out. I can now go full palm up, but the last few degrees take a little effort. Strength in the arm is way down, but coming along. It can be pretty stiff and painful by the end of the day depending on how much I use it.

At this point confidence my biggest issue.

Pay close attention to your Dr and therapists. You won't want to do it again.