Sign in to follow this  

How to get the wife riding??

Just trying to get my wife more involved in my hobby. Anyone have any suggestions?? She is kinda interested but not showing a great enthusiasm or anything. What have you done to get your wife more involved? :thumbsup:

Good luck! That is the question of the century! If you get her out there, just don't let her hit the ground. :thumbsup:

I got my mom to ride occasionally just by finding an old bike (the XT thats in my sig) and inviting her to come with my brother and I to wherever we are riding. She doesnt go out on the track much, but rides the bike around on the pit roads and the easy trails (she doesnt do it for the challenge, just likes cruising around).

Easy,

Tell her she gets ta go buy new clothes for riding in! :p

Start her with a real small bike, easy to handle, get her confidence up. Lavish her with compliments everytime she rides. Make her tell her girl friends; "every time we go riding he can't keep his hands off of me...." :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Find other couples that ride and go in groups, but DO NOT leave the girls behind! :worthy::eek: Big NO NO.

Riding days are days off for her, you take care of the grub and stuff! :bonk:

Keep up the encouragement of building riding skills, positive encouragement.

To be able to have this much fun with your wife will be well worth it, for both of you.

Take her to a big field and let her try a bike that she can touch the ground on with both of her feet. My wifes bike was a XR100 it was perfect for her. We did that a couple of times so she would be comfortable when we went to the trail for the first time. We worked a lot on her stopping, and riding circles around trees in both directions. That way when we went to the trails the first time she was feeling pretty good on the bike. Plus it was just her and me the first time we went riding.

Good Luck

Leave her at home. If she really wants to ride, she'll make the effort, not you.

Camping/riding with other friends and family did it for me. Once she saw the other wives riding that was all she wrote. Since then, she's gone from a TTR125 to CR85 Expert to CRF150. More friggen bikes than me in the last couple years!

I see riding as a family sport so I purchased a toy hauler and made it a point to take the family camping as much as possible. Now my wife wouldn't trade bonfires with friends and family in the desert for anything. Don't leave her at home though, that's the worst thing to do if you want her involved.

Easy,

Tell her she gets ta go buy new clothes for riding in! :worthy:

Start her with a real small bike, easy to handle, get her confidence up. Lavish her with compliments everytime she rides. Make her tell her girl friends; "every time we go riding he can't keep his hands off of me...." :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Find other couples that ride and go in groups, but DO NOT leave the girls behind! :prof::p Big NO NO.

Riding days are days off for her, you take care of the grub and stuff! :bonk:

Keep up the encouragement of building riding skills, positive encouragement.

To be able to have this much fun with your wife will be well worth it, for both of you.

I guess I never thought about these things. :cool::eek:

I drug mine to races for years with only slight interest. Now she's in charge of sign-up, scoring, and awards. She bought her own bike, I restored it, and am not allowed to ride it. She tapes all the SX/AX/MX on TV for my son and has our summer race schedule all planned out and has already told me where we are going.

For Christmas she wanted a new jersey and gloves and bought me a new drill press. She also surprised me with a new above-ground tank and 150 gallons of 93 octane fuel for the bikes. (With no alcohol!)

The only bad thing is we never get to go to her mother's anymore. :thumbsup:

I guess I could be one of the lucky ones with this. My wife never had an interest in Dirt BIkes before she met me. Then after going to races, camping, etc. and also my other buddies wife's getting bikes she became interested and wanted one. So I bought her a bike for her B-Day (which is also my play bike :thumbsup: ) and she's learning how to ride. She's pregnant now so it looks like now's the time to put some "extra" stuff on it. But seriously, if you know other's whom have wifes that like to ride that's the best way. She use to like to just watch me race, but after seeing her friends ride she became interested in riding

Also, be very patient with her if she does get one. Teaching, especially with me, was very hard because I wanted her to be an instant learner, just like she wanted to as well. But now she rides well and has a great time. GOOD LUCK :bonk:

withhold Sex.... No really, remind her that it would be great for the family if she rode with you and the kids. Then find out what would make her comfortable, motorcycle or quad. Mine started on a quad but is now riding a TTR125. Also keep the initial rides shorter, only a few hours at a time till she gets hooked, and also keep the initial rides easy, fireroads.

did you mention do her that 95% of the sports participants are Males!!!! It may backfire on ya but it would probably get her to the track lol!!!

just kidding. take her out once on your bike just have her sit on the back and tool around SLOW, maybe it will spark her interest, or out on some trails in the woods or something. Bring a backpack with some food and drink and park the bikes by a creek or cliff or waterfall or w/e. She will like it. then you both get something out of it. She gets a little romance you get her to come riding with ya!

My wife rode as a kid. So it wasn't that hard getting her motivated to get a bike. After being left at home for 2 years while I went to ride, she decided that she needed another bike. 2 years later she is still loving every minute of it. Just remind your other half how much more time she will get to spend with you.

I guess I could be one of the lucky ones with this. My wife never had an interest in Dirt BIkes before she met me. Then after going to races, camping, etc. and also my other buddies wife's getting bikes she became interested and wanted one. So I bought her a bike for her B-Day (which is also my play bike :thumbsup: ) and she's learning how to ride. She's pregnant now so it looks like now's the time to put some "extra" stuff on it. But seriously, if you know other's whom have wifes that like to ride that's the best way. She use to like to just watch me race, but after seeing her friends ride she became interested in riding

Also, be very patient with her if she does get one. Teaching, especially with me, was very hard because I wanted her to be an instant learner, just like she wanted to as well. But now she rides well and has a great time. GOOD LUCK :bonk:

First I have to say GO COUGS!!! (sorry had to)

Now I have to agree with Jeff here. Mine started out on the street after seeing me gone on the weekends. She and a friend both wanted to learn to ride so they took the MSF course and got their license (I had 2 bikes at the time so it was easy for her to get into, this may be a good idea too.. :eek: ) Once you get her out there then make sure to praise and reassure her. They think they are slowing you down, just let them know they are doing good and you are having fun.

Now that my step son is old enough to ride we are getting rid of the street bikes and turning to off-road. It is a great family activity and you can definately push that aspect too! Not to mention as someone else has said she will love to go shopping for a whole outfit of off-road gear... :thumbsup:

My wife on her way to collage.

1684509Hottie.jpg

Following are 8 year old around the house on her TTR90, wife has an xr100. (At 5' and 1/2" it fits her great!) Although she's been eye'n the TTR125 with the button. :thumbsup:

1378734Stunt-woman.jpg

Hmmm... Just realized I don't have very many pics of her on my web page.

Anyway, I'm a lucky SOB! I have four daughters who all ride, my wife rides and we have an absolute blast together! We use a 24 foot enclosed trailer to camp in and just love it.