Which 06' 250F?

Which 06' 250F should my brother purchase for his wife to race? She is 5'8", 140 lbs. My brother will also be racing it as well in the 125 C class, but it is mainly for the wife. So what 250F do you all think she should get?

Note; she has been riding bikes ever since she was tiny but has never raced, and she is planning on doing the entire season.

Give me a reason too, not just because you have a specific bike either. I would prefer only people who have ridden multiple 06' 250F's to reply my question for me,

Thanks.

I have an 05 yamaha 250f and an 04 kawi 250f. To be honest, the kawi is fast but not reliable. The yamaha doesn't have the motor but the suspension is way better, especially the forks. I don't own any 06s. Right now I'd sway toward a two stroke 125 machine. But then I just dumped almost two grand into my kawi motor with stainless valves and such. A bike for the wife if you really want to stick with the 4 strokes, probably the honda. Don't get me wrong, I am green green green loyal for many years. But I've got to say the reliability of the kawi right now isn't too spectacular, even the 06s are maintenance heavy. About 4-5 times as maintenance heavy as a two stroke. But this has been my experience. With the extra bills of another racer on a full season, you might want to check the budget. Just my experience and take it for what you will.

Good luck with it and the new season. ?

I have an 05 yamaha 250f and an 04 kawi 250f. To be honest, the kawi is fast but not reliable. The yamaha doesn't have the motor but the suspension is way better, especially the forks. I don't own any 06s. Right now I'd sway toward a two stroke 125 machine. But then I just dumped almost two grand into my kawi motor with stainless valves and such. A bike for the wife if you really want to stick with the 4 strokes, probably the honda. Don't get me wrong, I am green green green loyal for many years. But I've got to say the reliability of the kawi right now isn't too spectacular, even the 06s are maintenance heavy. About 4-5 times as maintenance heavy as a two stroke. But this has been my experience. With the extra bills of another racer on a full season, you might want to check the budget. Just my experience and take it for what you will.

Good luck with it and the new season. ?

a honda reliable?...where are you getting info??..the hondas are matiaince heavy too!..even worse then a kawi..i personally have the 2006 and all ive done is change the oil and cleaned the filter..and the valves have yet to move with 59 hours..i have a few friends that have hondas..they have already had vavle problems..i dont care if ya dont belive me..but the hondas are no matience free bike..and there valves suck..but about the 2 stroker..i would ride both to see what she likes..totaly different machines..

but good luck anyways

When I use the word reliable in a sentence with ANY 250f, you have to put it in context. Reliable and 250f is a conflict in terms. These little thumpers are ALL problematic in my experience. Plus they zap your wallet. I could run a garage full of two strokes for the price of 1 250f four stroke.

The 04 kxf and rmz where the most problematic bikes they made, it was the first year produced so...... your never supposed to buy a first year produced car/bike/ whatever because your their personal free test engineer/technician.

125- 2stroke would be the lightest best turning bike, less maintenance but taller then teh 4-strokes. Only bad issue is that they have very peaky power and demand to be rev'ed to run them fast. Im not saying anything about your wife or you personally just saying that it should be considered. The 125s dont have a ton of power but they come on hard when you rev them thats for sure.

250f its heavier, VERY SMOOTH MANAGEABLE power, more mainenance (meaning you ahve like 2 times more things to adjust/worry about breaking) they are about 1-2 inch shorter I believe. They are alot more easy to ride, they hook up well and dont loop out in corners as easy as a 2-stroke.

I can only comment on riding cr125-rm125-yz125-kx125 (ive ridden them all but different years)

for 4-strokes ive only ridden yzf and kxf. I would say that the yzf250 would be the most reliable since htey have had the most time at it. but since they took their oil in frame feature out we will see how the hotter oil will effect their engine wearing. (the frame acted of a sort of oil cooler not a ton of cooling but a few degrees is very helpful) now they have it in a tank on bike, hopefully its in a hidden spot away from being hit by debris.

I would say the KXF or YZF would be your best pics tho. Im a long time honda fan (8 year member to hondas rider club of america!) too, im mad i had to switch but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Im sure as hell not gonna be checking my valves every race, its too much work for me.

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that she can get the 2005 YZ 125 for 4,300. I heard the 05' and 06' YZ 125's are the best 125's ever produced. I have heard a lot about Honda's valve problems, probably want to steer clear of that. I hate to say it but Yamaha probably does have the most reliable 250F right now from what everyone says.

About the 2-Stroke vs. 4-stroke deal, she has rode the 2 strokes all her life, she used to have a RM 80 and a YZ 125 in the past, but has never had track time, so I don't know if she is able to ride a 125 hard enough to keep it in the meat of the power.

Hmmm......... she still has not decided.

Any more feedback is appreciated.

you could always get a 125 bore it to 144 and get it ported/piped up for better low and mid. Just a thought tho. Hell even with getting a pipe, porting and new piston your still going to spend less then a 250f. *shakes head, maybe thats what i should have done*

if you are looking for performance buy a kawi, if you are looking for reliability buy a YZ250F, i you are looking for a very responsive ride get the KTM, even though i am a honda follower i wouldnt reccommend the honda because of the reliabilty, i have an 06 KXF and my mate has a 06YZF and he doesnt like his bike, he is always buggin me for a ride of mine cause he loves it so much.

well the kx250f is the shortest which is a plus..also pretty damn slim fealing

i dont think it is the shortest in seat hight the KTM 250SX-F is the shortest with a seat hight of 36.42 inches and 216 pounds inches and the kawasaki KX250F is a seat hight of 37.8 inches and 204 pounds

HAHAHAHAHA! Good I am glad to see that they are blowin' up, stupid yamaha's. Well she got the bike last saturday. And it is a........ 2005 YZ 125 left-over from dealer for $4,300. She is really happy about it. Unfortunately she hasn't gotten to ride it, due to their being a bunch of white stuff on the ground! Well looks like we got another pinger in the family.

We set up the suspension on it allready, now we just have to jet it, put a pipe on it, and some v3 reeds.

Thanks for all the help guy's, she just decided to go with the 125 though.

i owned 2 smokes my wholelife, and my 04 crf250 was the most reliable bike i had. same with my friends. valve adjusments were done twice in about 55 hours of riding. and and a rear tire and chain as soon as the stockers wore out...so i don't why people have these problems...apparently people must neglect or be realy stupid. my .02