KX450F setup ?

I just got it in the crate. You guys who have been riding, do you have any specifics other than the normal grease everything, tighten everything, and change the fluids (and put some oil on the air filter)?

I read about a rattling from some on the decompression lever or cable, whats that about? Any other things to address to save some heartache?

I'm a 190lb VetX, been riding KX250's since the days of Jeff Ward, so I understand most of the basic setup issues, I'm just wondering if anyone's 4 stroke related components needed to be tightened or if there is anything I can catch before it does damage. I have had a YZ426 and have a KX250F, both have been very reliable.

Thanks

plastic washer in the hot start lever (rattles in the perch)

wd-40 the pegs or the Ti pegs on Ti mounts squeek

loc-tite the shroud bolts once in order to keep the bolts in place (mostly the ones in the tank)

as mentioned, the fuel screw

You probably have everything else covered.

Congrats, great bike.

in regards to the fuel screw, is that something that you find yourself adjusting a lot? The 05 250F I have seems to need very little once I found the right spot and changed the pilot. just woindering if the 450 needs more. I ride at about sea level to 500 feet, and usually in the 60-80F range. Is the stock jetting good for that altitude and temp? Have someof you ended up changing jets? Moving clips? I plan to leave stock exhaust until i break it..

Thanks for the input, this is a great board.

Congrats on your new ride, your going to love it. Throw away the stk chain and front tire, 756RR work real well up front. Ive been playing with sag and fork height and found 103 with the forks slid up 3mm from stock. It gives it a nice planted feel. The stk syspension will be real stiff initially but don't make many changes until a few tanks of gas, they loosen up and should feel real good. I like to add a couple clicks of rebound front and rear (Stiffer from SK position) then adj comp accordingly for the conditions. For your weight the springs will be real close, If your super fast you might need a stiffer shock spring but the front will probably be right on. Stk gearing is real close for most tracks, but if you have long straights ect don't be afraid to drop a few in the rear, it will pull it no problem. Have fun & Enjoy.

Hey thanks to everyone!

You all should come to Alaska and ride!

I grew up riding in Norcal (Dixon, Marysville, Hangtown etc) then went east and raced in Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Have to say, Alaska is the best, although the tracks are pretty easy usually. Just so much land to choose from.

Can't wait to ride this bad boy. Everybody else has ice tires on and are ripping on the lakes. I'm not breaking my baby in at -20 though...

Thanks Again.

Hey thanks to everyone!

I grew up riding in Norcal (Dixon, Marysville, Hangtown etc) then went east and raced in Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Have to say, Alaska is the best, although the tracks are pretty easy usually. Just so much land to choose from.

Can't wait to ride this bad boy. Everybody else has ice tires on and are ripping on the lakes. I'm not breaking my baby in at -20 though...

Thanks Again.

I raced distric 36 from 80' to 85'. Lived in Grass Valley and rode/raced norcal and nevada.

?

Hey thanks to everyone!

Congrats on the new ride! Do pretty much as suggested by everyone here, and you should be fine. I spent 4 years in Anchorage in my younger years. I miss the scenery and the summer weather there. Never hotter than 85 degrees, and day light seems to last forever, that is till winter hits.