Sign in to follow this  

? for Recluse owners

Put a Z-Start on my new 06 YZ250, it works great but it has just enough drag that it creeps just a little when stopped, and I can't start it in gear. I was told by Recluse its the Yamaha clutch plates, he said if I changed over to Honda plates it would eliminate the dragging, He said Yamaha is the only bike that has that problem. What worries me is if I put a Honda part on my Yamaha will it start becoming unreliable? and maybe even start turning Red? yuk, just kidding, that was a joke you Honda guys. I'm actually willing to do that but I remember someone saying they used the Tusk plates from Rocky Mountain and they also eliminated the drag, thay are about one third the cost of the Honda plates, so it sounds better price wise. Has anyone tried other brands of plates, and have others had the drag problem with the Yammies?.

From what I hear, Tusk plates are crap, and wear down fast. Everyone I know uses OEM Honda plates, and have had good lifespan with them.

Go OEM, you won't regret it.

I have tusk ones in my CR250R, but I plan on going with the Honda ones when installing the Rekluse next week. Personally I would try and adjust the perch adjuster first, if not I would live with it until the plates are shot, they will probably start to slp as they wear a bit.

No offense but i had the previous owner of my KTM try to put in a rekluse(he was by no means a bike mechanic.) I went and checked all of his work, and still could not get my rekluse to work so it is now in a coffe can taped shut in the top of my little shop. Just my opion on Rekluse, or maybe some one could show me where i went wrong.

You can also use Barnett's carbon fiber plates with good results too. When I put the clutch in our bikes last year the instructions actually specified the barnett plates so thats what I went with. That and I couldnt find honda plates anywhere without waiting to pay too much for them.

Wait until you pony up for the rear brake lever to replace the clutch lever. Man does it ever change the way you ride.

No offense but i had the previous owner of my KTM try to put in a rekluse(he was by no means a bike mechanic.) I went and checked all of his work, and still could not get my rekluse to work so it is now in a coffe can taped shut in the top of my little shop. Just my opion on Rekluse, or maybe some one could show me where i went wrong.

A little more info would be helpful. What bike and what seemed to be wrong with the clutch.

I've put three of them in and the only one I had problems with was caused by an error on my part.

try stretching the wave spring a little and fine tuning the perch adjuster. i would start with the heavier spring in the perch adjuster.

All the Yamaha's creep a little until the clutch breaks in. Mine did it for the first few rides and now is fine.

Tusk plates are as tough as EBC. (Same plates)

Vanilla Gorrilla, installing rekluses are a breeze, download the instructions from there site and just ask if you have any questions.

You need to tell us a bit more.

What was it doing or not doing?

The guys at Rekluse are top notch. Call them with your problem (if you don't find the answer here) Rekluse customer service is top notch.

My CR250 also woorked grat, a bit of a hassle getting the clutch freeplay but once achieved I would not have the bike without it. Amazing. As for Mr. Gorrilla, try it again after reading the instructions, installing as per them them ply with the adjustment them if that fails call Rekluse and talk to Charles he really knows his stuff, he is at EXT 104

It seemed like the the stall speed was never set up correctly or i was missing some parts. If i only had 1 of the wave springs in the clutch would not engage, if i put 2 springs in it would act just like a normal clutch. I went through all of the trouble shooting tips from rekluse, and i got no where. Any body have a problem Like that? The chances of it not being assembeled correctly is very likely, the last owner couldn't install a skid plate.

While I am here i have to ask some of you guys how to check the valves on my bike(2000 KTM 520 SX) how do i check them, what is involed, and do i need any speacilty tools?

Thanks alot any help would be geat!

The-Vanilla-Gorrilla,

I went to the Recluse website and downloaded the instructions for your bike.

The first thing I would do is to check if the studs were filed down properly. I would also check if the 7 mounting shims were installed. Make sure that the mounting shims were used and not the M6 X .06 washers. I knew a guy who installed the washers instead of the shims.

Then set the clutch up exactly as Recluse suggests. You can always fine tune it later.

You mentioned putting two wave springs in it. That wont work.

If I were you I'd download the instructions and start over. There is no good reason why that clutch wont work.

Hope this helps.

While I am here i have to ask some of you guys how to check the valves on my bike(2000 KTM 520 SX) how do i check them, what is involed, and do i need any speacilty tools?

Thanks alot any help would be geat!

Step 1. Jump on over to KTMTalk.com, there is a whole forum for valve checks.

No special tools per se, but having the motion pro feeler guage sure makes it easier (they are about $5 at your dealer)

IF that fails, look around the KTM forum here and there is a company selling "how to" videos including KTM valve checks that are very, very good.