Sign in to follow this  

Why go so small?

I'm trying to understand why people like 100s and 125s and such. I read all the time on here about folks in their late teens and 20s "upgrading" to a 125 from a 100, And i'm trying to figure out why they don't go bigger. I rode a 125 for an afternoon recently and couldn't wait to jump back on my 250, i'm 5'10 and weigh about 160. Did i miss something? I'm not talking down to anyone or being a dick here i'm just curious. Obviously there must be something to them since their so popular. Maybe i'm just to big for em. :thumbsup:

i think the 125s are so popular because of the weight. they are super light, easily maintained, and have a racing class too..i think sometimes people want something they can just throw around, and they have a high power to weight ratio.

I'm about the same size as you, plus a few pounds and I really like 125 two strokes. The light weight is a big bonus, and riding a slow bike fast is more fun than riding a fast bike slow.

My cousin is an AA rider in local harescrambles and enduros, and rides a rm144. He overalled the enduro this year and got 10th in harescrambles. :thumbsup:

He rode a rm250 2 years ago, and couldnt get used to it. He got a new 125 and bored and stroked it to a 144. :thumbsup: Hes getting a 250 for the harescrambles this year, though. In some of the harescrambles, he was stuggling on the 125. So hes gonna ride the 250 in the open races :bonk: Hes 25? and about 6'2" 170lbs.

A lot of people are just learning how to ride and while I agree with you I sure as hell wouldn't want a 250cc 2-stroke to be my first bike.

A lot of people are just learning how to ride and while I agree with you I sure as hell wouldn't want a 250cc 2-stroke to be my first bike.

Amen! The RM250 is my ninth bike, and the first time I rode it, it scared the sh** out of me.

As a first bike no, but if youv'e been riding a while why not make a bigger jump and grow into it.

I have ridden my uncles CR250 and I didn't think it was that impressed yes it was fun but I have definately ridden faster things out there I don't know why people would want a 125 if they know how to ride.

125's are super fun... You can just ride them pinned the whole time and at least feel like your going really fast. They arent intimidating and are easy to throw around....

125's are the work to ride but can jump anything. It wasn't all that long ago that there was a 125 class and guys like James Stewart could lay down faster lap times than most 250 riders. Bikes light and around 38 hp are not too slow. Hey why not complain about the little kids on 80's that probably ride circles past half the people on this forum. what ever sometimes you guys just complain about things like it is some major ordeal to even pull a bike motor. Where I come from fixing a tranny or blown head gasket between drag racing runs on a turbo stang is just every day

125's are the work to ride but can jump anything. It wasn't all that long ago that there was a 125 class and guys like James Stewart could lay down faster lap times than most 250 riders. Bikes light and around 38 hp are not too slow. Hey why not complain about the little kids on 80's that probably ride circles past half the people on this forum. what ever sometimes you guys just complain about things like it is some major ordeal to even pull a bike motor. Where I come from fixing a tranny or blown head gasket between drag racing runs on a turbo stang is just every day

Um excuse me, where was i complaining? I'm asking for opinions from other people. Oh and yes i can pull my bikes motor with no problem, and i didn't ask nor do i care about your Stang.

125's are super fun... You can just ride them pinned the whole time and at least feel like your going really fast. They arent intimidating and are easy to throw around....

Well thats true i did keep it pinned most of the time, and it was very light. Just personel preference i guess.

Well thats true i did keep it pinned most of the time, and it was very light. Just personel preference i guess.

Personal preference is it for a lot of people I'll bet. Just like street bikes, I would rather ride a 600cc sport bike than a 1000cc. They are both a lot of fun, but I'd rather use more of the bikes capability. If that means that I'm just an average rider......I can live with that. A slow rider on a fast bike, is still a slow rider.

We'll my opinion on this is, I don't see a big gain going to a 250 from a 125. I rode a YZ250 2 stroke and it was just heavy feeling and I weigh 190lbs 5-10" ( I'm no fat :thumbsup: either) and I hated it. It was fast, but didn't settle right for me anyway, could of been the bike also...who knows?? But now I RACE a 2001 RM125 all modded out(pipe,reeds,silencer,jetting,alot of setup tweaks,gearing you name it) with some suspension tweaks for my extra weight and I kick the :bonk: out of 250s 80% of the time. Also when it comes to the bikes actual frame and components they are the same size,same parts alot of times. Nothing like OH My GOD that's big compared to the 125!! :bonk: !(seat height,suspension travel,tires...)it's really in the engine weight .Plus a 125 is cheaper on the pocket. A 125 can run any day against 250s, it's the rider that makes the win. With 1k in the pocket average (between the two)saved is 1k spent on mods to kick the crap out of alot of riders that JUMPED A BAND WAGON AND BOUGHT A 4 POKE and suck! I'm not saying I can keep with Heavy modded 250s or 450s but the average 250 is a walk over.Modding out a 250 2 stroke is just not worth it due to the 4 stroke 250, no one runs them if they decide to race. If they do it's usually replaced soon after with a 4 stroke. 250 2 strokes are now becoming a thing of the past..(Mcgrath tried it on his totally modded 250 2 stroke but now has to ride 4 stroke 250-450s to keep up with his class) .Pastrana never had a problem on his rm125 in x games while all the other riders sat on their 250s and watched a RM 125 2 stroke and a awesome rider take gold and he rode against 250s all day.

Depends on what you want to do and your goals.If you want to drag race with people on a weekend on dirt that's one thing, but FS and Racing is different. It's the riders choice on the next step up and that well could be a 125. Your gonna suck longer on the track if you have to grow into a bike . Ride a bike that's all around the best choice, that usually is the next one on the product line.. :thumbsup:

RM_519

District 11

sponsors : Bo's Radical Racers partnered W/

Moose racing,OH

Harry's Electric Co., NC

We'll my opinion on this is, I don't see a big gain going to a 250 from a 125. I rode a YZ250 2 stroke and it was just heavy feeling and I weigh 190lbs 5-10" ( I'm no fat :thumbsup: either) and I hated it. It was fast, but didn't settle right for me anyway, could of been the bike also...who knows?? But now I RACE a 2001 RM125 all modded out(pipe,reeds,silencer,jetting,alot of setup tweaks,gearing you name it) with some suspension tweaks for my extra weight and I kick the :bonk: out of 250s 80% of the time. Also when it comes to the bikes actual frame and components they are the same size,same parts alot of times. Nothing like OH My GOD that's big compared to the 125!! :bonk: !(seat height,suspension travel,tires...)it's really in the engine weight .Plus a 125 is cheaper on the pocket. A 125 can run any day against 250s, it's the rider that makes the win. With 1k in the pocket average (between the two)saved is 1k spent on mods to kick the crap out of alot of riders that JUMPED A BAND WAGON AND BOUGHT A 4 POKE and suck! I'm not saying I can keep with Heavy modded 250s or 450s but the average 250 is a walk over.Modding out a 250 2 stroke is just not worth it due to the 4 stroke 250, no one runs them if they decide to race. If they do it's usually replaced soon after with a 4 stroke. 250 2 strokes are now becoming a thing of the past..(Mcgrath tried it on his totally modded 250 2 stroke but now has to ride 4 stroke 250-450s to keep up with his class) .Pastrana never had a problem on his rm125 in x games while all the other riders sat on their 250s and watched a RM 125 2 stroke and a awesome rider take gold and he rode against 250s all day.

Depends on what you want to do and your goals.If you want to drag race with people on a weekend on dirt that's one thing, but FS and Racing is different. It's the riders choice on the next step up and that well could be a 125. Your gonna suck longer on the track if you have to grow into a bike . Ride a bike that's all around the best choice, that usually is the next one on the product line.. :thumbsup:

Dude... what rock have you been living under!

I had a 2001 RM125 and traded it in for an 06 RM250. The difference in power is NOT EVEN FUNNY. Your 125 would be left in the mud if you tried to go against a half decent rider on a 250 2 stroke. The torque of a new 250 2 stroke destroys your old 125, you need to rev the tits off the thing just to get a puny 32 hp out of it, I can thump up a hill with full power in the low end in 3rd gear or I can scream down a straight flat stick in 4th on the top end. Moral of the story = 250 has more power everywhere = faster.

What are you talking about a 250 4 stroke is better than a 250 2 stroke?? What bikes have you been riding man? There is a reason they race them in the 125 class. The only place where I will conceed that a 250 4 stroke is better is for a new rider on a VERY tight windy track where the 2 stroke cant stretch its legs and the newbie cant control the power of the faster 2 stroke 250.

At the end of the day, you can mod your 125 to the moon (mods are expensive) but a run of the mill stock 250 will still be MUCH faster. And there are so dont even try to argue. I feel sorry that you rode a really shitty YZ250, I would PAY MONEY for you to ride my 250 back to back with your 125. You would be left grinning, until you had to get off and go back to your pos.

You suffer from a problem I see a lot these days, people who have only ever ridden bike x and think its god. There is a saying "The best you know is the best you've ridden".

Modding out a 250 2 stroke is just not worth it due to the 4 stroke 250

What kind of drugs are you on. There is NO COMPARRISON.

You may try to say 250 2 strokes are dead, but 125's died a long time ago my friend. I feel sorry for your 125, Ill look for you on the track.

EDIT: Also, the price difference is 1k between a 125 and a 250, that 1k buys you about 16 horse power. Not to mention everything else. You're crazy.

FYI I SOLD MY RMZ250 04' and kept my 01 125. you assume on your behalf to much! And just because you have a 06 MAKES YOU BETTER THAN ME??? AND ONLY "NEWBIES RIDE 250 4 STROKES"????? UM heard of supercross lately? YOU ASSUME MY BIKE RATES AT 32HP?? GOD IS THAT YOU????

"I can thump up a hill with full power in the low end in 3rd gear or I can scream down a straight flat stick in 4th on the top end"

AND THE HILL WAS HOW BIG???AND YOU ASSUME MY BIKE CAN'T?

"You would be left grinning, until you had to get off and go back to your pos."

ASSUMING AGAIN.....I wouldn't be grinning and MY POS IS SPONSORED AND YOURS?? OH I FORGOT 2006 was the year for NEW POSs. DUDE GET OFF YOUR HIGH F$#!ing HORSE! MY OPINION GET IT!

I DIDN'T CALL YOU OR YOUR STUFF POS in PRIOR posts!

AND I WOULD GLADLY RIDE WITH YOU( BUT WE KNOW THAT WON'T HAPPEN)

"You may try to say 250 2 strokes are dead, but 125's died a long time ago my friend. I feel sorry for your 125, Ill look for you on the track"

MAN THAT TRAVIS PASTRANA GUY MUST BE STUPID AND OLD!!!especially to be riding 125s still... and WINNING.

DUDE , JEREMY McGRATH TRIED YOUR ROUTE AND FAILED AGAINST 4 STROKES.He just changed up a few races ago on LIVE TV from 2 to 4 because he was LOSING>>>>>.....

REREAD this CAREFULLY:

"I'm not saying I can keep with Heavy modded 250s or 450s but the average 250 is a walk over" AVERAGE NOT MODDED, READ!

DID I SAY YOUR BIKE??? :thumbsup: OR stroke? OH those 450 2 strokes are outdated.ASSUMING ON MY PART... SORRY, GOD OF ALL 2006 2 STROKES AND MINE BIKE IS THE FASTEST!

AND HERE'S YOUR TIME SLIP DRAGSTER!

"EDIT: Also, the price difference is 1k between a 125 and a 250, that 1k buys you about 16 horse power. Not to mention everything else. You're crazy"

Did I say THAT???????? I MEANT 17 HP

"You suffer from a problem I see a lot these days, people who have only ever ridden bike x and think its god. There is a saying "The best you know is the best you've ridden"."

UM ,I THINK NOT YOU'RE THE 2006 2 STROKE ,BEST YOU HAVE EVER RIDDEN AND THINKS ITS GOD MR. NO PIC. MY BIKES A 06 AND Its BETTER THAN EVERYTHING!

Hey I'll be looking for your bike on race day ! :thumbsup:

SMOKING CRACK IS ILLEGAL AND YOU SHOULD STOP USING IT WHILE ON TT.

I would like to add, never did I say my bike was better than a 250 2 stroke or can beat 100 Percent of 250s with my bike.I was referring to the 250 4 stroke through the majority of my prior post.I even stated I rode a yz250 2 stroke and it was fast but it wasn't for me.AND it could of been the particular bike also.And the rider is the winning key if your good then there is No reason a 125cc bike couldn't win in the same conditions as a 250 2 stroke it depends on the rider and setup of the bike.I can't remember the last time I did 50-???MPH in the woods or on a track.A 125cc can be matched HP to gear ratio + approx. torq closeness to equal as of a 2 stroke 250 but ultimately the 250 would clearly out run the 125.There are a ton of examples of what I mean. Even in the car world a Honda can beat a High HP car off the line possibly through a couple of gears due to its gearing the other car may spin out alot more losing time while the Honda is already hooked up but at a certain speed it will get crushed. So if you can out race me fine but I never claimed to be able to beat every bike that was out there on a 125cc.I stated the average 250 I can beat 80% of the time( with my modded bike) is a walk.SO just step off a little bit.Or you can show at any District 11 races look for 519 and I will ride .But being rude isn't gonna solve anything. :thumbsup:

Maybe I am wrong but the last time I saw pastrana on a 125 was when he was racing in the 125 class a few years back. I havent seen him recently on a 125 (funny he seems to ride 250s all the time now). And I never saw him beat a 250 on a 125, he had trouble beating 250s on a 250. Dont get me wrong I love the guy!

Jeremy Mcgrath, he changed from a 2 stroke 250 to... a 4 stroke 450 - whats your point? I didnt see him changing to a 125? Or a 250f?

In fact 125s have been dead in supercross for years, kawi dont even make them anymore lol.

When I said, "the best you know is the best youve ridden", I say this because I have ridden 125s, I have ridden new 250s and I have ridden new 250f's and an 03 CRF450. Im not saying my bike is the best because I have seen and ridden better! I say this because I know your bike sucks balls for anything other than 125 class mx or "beginner" single track - unless you want to struggle on the nastier hill climbs but we'd all be waiting up for ya. (trust me Ive done enduro on a 125: Stall, start, stall, start, rev rev rev, stall, stack).

Havn't you ever watched supercross? The 125s (sorry, 250f's) cant even clear the triples. When the (real) 250s come out thats when the show starts!

I think you need to grow up to with all the swearing and CAPS and accusations. I never said my bike was better than anything. I said you were insane for thinking a 125 is better than a 250. Its just plain stupid. Your bike might be great for the class you race in, but thats it. You wouldnt keep up plain and simple.

When you are ready to graduate, sell that pos and get a real bike.

pro_circuit_rear.JPG

Pastrana hasn't ridden a 125 since 2002. Even when he enters Xgames, he is on a 250 now. He understands that it is a lot of work to do the newer tricks(backflips and such) on a 125 just because there is no low end grunt. For backflips you need that bottom end..if you ever watch FMX you will see this.

McGrath moving from a 2smoke to a 4stroke isn't a good example. MC can ride WHATEVER he wants. At PHX this year he showed that a 2 stroke is still competitve by getting the holeshot AND placing 4th. I'd say that is good. Yea...you have to work twice as hard to get the same as a 4stroke, but at that level it's all about confidence. If everyone else is on 4strokes and you are not...in your mind you are already at a disadvantage.

This whole 125 vs 250 debate is rediculious. There are people that ride 125s really well and can ride circles around 250 riders. But thats not what we're talking about. We are talking about 125cc vs 250cc. In that case...the 250 will always win. More displacement. The 125 is a screamer...you have to rev the shit out of them to make them work, which is why they are so fun. They have the "Illusion" that they are faster because you are screaming the hell out of them. The 250s you can lug and still keep pace with a 125 that is screaming at the top of it's lungs. BUT...that 250 rider(if he is the same caliber as the 125 rider) will and can walk away from that 125 anyday of the week.

I don't care if you have ridden a 250 or a 125...it's how good a rider you are and if you know how to ride that particular bike. 125s are ridden alot differently than a 250 is.