Sign in to follow this  

do i need a 450

I've been thinking on getting a 450 (not sure of brand) i will never use all that power. I'm 5'10 170. i know i want a 4 stroke but i still want a strong bottom and mid range power and still good top.. will a 250f make me happy. with the prices only 500-800 difference between the 250 and 450 it makes it hard not to get a 450.

personally id go for the 450, you will end up using the power, on open trails and open bush sections the 250's are a great bike but they just don't pack the punch of acceleration and top end the 450's have, even torque right off the bottom youl have to wind up the 250's a bit more , 450's are hevier though.

what sort of riding do you do mostly?

what kind of bike do you ride now?

I agree, it depends on the riding that you will be doing. I am 5'8" and weight about 175 lbs and the 450 was the best choice for me, but I do a lot of trail riding. Lots of lug for the hill climbs sand and trails. However, if you get the 250 you will need to keep in mind two things: 1) you will need to keep the rpm's higher during your riding in order to have enough power for technical hill climbs, etc. 2) with a 450 you will always have enough power at the touch of the throttle, but not with the 250. The 250 will be lighter and more maneuverable in the air and such for MX but it just depends on the riding that you will be doing. Good luck with your choice.

Come on guys, get real, ask the right questions. first, what are you going to do with the bike, if it is for MX the answer is either, if it is for trailsm the 250 is more flickable and generally more manageable in the tight trails. How advanced of a rider are you, the 450 can get you in trouble if you do not really know how to ride it. As for power obviously the 450 has more, but do you really need it? Watch the supercross lites, they are all flying on 250s.....

I like my 250f more then my fathers 450f. The front end feels lighter, and likes to float over all better.

get a 250 2-stroke. its imbetween (more towards the 450). with less weight (or atleaast the same) as a 250f, and easier to work on. less parts to break too.

it depends on what he does. i would GLADLY pick my 250 over a 450 for trails, mx, or freestyle (when i say trails, i mean open desert trails). for east coast style trails with the tight trees, and mud and all, id pick a 250x (id pick the 450x but its too damn heavy) i love 450's for offroad and dunes, and on trails they arent bad, but my 250 is so light and nimble, and has a lot of acceleration, that for jumping, and mx its easier to ride. and on trails i just think its more fun because its a close ratio bike compared to the 450, and it revs WAY higher.

just my opinion though.

Come on guys, get real, ask the right questions. first, what are you going to do with the bike, if it is for MX the answer is either, if it is for trailsm the 250 is more flickable and generally more manageable in the tight trails. How advanced of a rider are you, the 450 can get you in trouble if you do not really know how to ride it. As for power obviously the 450 has more, but do you really need it? Watch the supercross lites, they are all flying on 250s.....

i thought i did in the past post:

what riding do you do mostly?

and what kind of bike are you on now?

"get real" :thumbsup: what are you on about?

All of 250F's I've rode at MX tracks in the past felt fantastic at cornering, however I didn't like the fact the throttle was pinned most of the time. Too much work, to go fast!

I've been thinking about doing a big bore 250, middle of road theory.

i ride pretty much 50/50 track and trails. i don't compete just ride the tracks. I've been riding for around 15 years. i pretty much going to get a 450 just want some feed back. thanks