oops....no oil! Any advice?

The damage is done, put oil in it and just start it to assess the extent. 1 or 2 minutes my guess would be minimal, may have shortened the engine life alittle but probably not noticably. I would recomend running the engine with new oil for 5-10 min. then changing to get rid of any metal particles floating around the engine.

I cant believe i did such a stupid a-- thing. I started it to warm it up to check the oil thinking i filled it...then noticed the filler cap loose and immediately shut it off. Put in 1 quart ran it for 5 min as directed in manual and rechecked, topped it off and ran it for a while. No odd noises or problems. hard to believe it would have seriously hurt it but just posted this to remind all KEEP YOUR MIND ON THE TASK AT HAND...FOCUS. I was interupted by a phone call...thats all it took.

I cant believe i did such a stupid a-- thing. KEEP YOUR MIND ON THE TASK AT HAND...FOCUS. I was interupted by a phone call...thats all it took.

darrenw, :bonk: Glad you caught it before any extensive riding. Hope nothing is wrong with the bike, because something tells me you won't make that mistake again. I know I've made plenty by NOT doing what you said, "FOCUS..." ?

I would recomend running the engine with new oil for 5-10 min. then changing to get rid of any metal particles floating around the engine.

Good idea. And it should be done. You can BET that you did a little damage. How much is open for conjecture, but you'll not know until you ride teh bike for a while. Watch for telltale signs like smoke from the exhaust that wasn't there before. You didn't mention any noises. Did it rattle any at all? If not, you MIGHT be the luckiest bike owner on this forum. ?

Guys will lose their oil out on the trail and run for 30 minutes covering many miles without any oil! 1-2 minutes without oil? I wouldn't think twice about it. Wouldn't even bother flushing the engine. The parts were still lubricated from the oil you had in there before. You didn't cause any damage.

Yea there was definately damage done just be glad you didnt get on the bike and ride it you would have messed up alot more if you did that but as long as it was just sitting there idleing there prbly is very small damage just put oil in it run that for 20min drain that and put new oil in again and you should be good to go again just keep an eye on your engine in case you damaged something really bad but i dont think so

Guys will lose their oil out on the trail and run for 30 minutes covering many miles without any oil! 1-2 minutes without oil? I wouldn't think twice about it. Wouldn't even bother flushing the engine. The parts were still lubricated from the oil you had in there before. You didn't cause any damage.

Come on Harry! :bonk: I was developing an opinion that you were a pretty informed and sensible guy. ?:eek:

A quart of oil costs almost nothing. Why not flush it and maybe avoid more damage? ?

i was out riding my 450f and the frame plug fell out and i rode it till it stalled. ? took it home cleaned up the oil mess, got new plug filled it with oil. and good luck so far ? i would not worrie about 1-2mins of idling.next time pull the filler cap and stick it next to the oil jug so you will notice i didnt put the oil in yet :bonk: goodluck

If you ran full synthetic, it should be fine maybe a little wear but you will never know, my rockets oil pump failed and I made a 1/4 mile pass before I realized it and there was really no apparent damage, I still click off 9.70's. It made me a synthetic believer.