wr400 vs wr426

Jake

I run a UK 2001 WR426, standard except for FMF Q pipe and airbox lid removed, my brother has a UK 2000 WR400 with E series pipe and airbox lid removed. I have to say that the power is like night and day, the 426 is much, much faster all the way through the range, I ran a 2000 WR400 last year and would certainly not go back

scooby

On the trial you will not notice any substantial differences as long as your 400 has the forks raised in the clamps. This clearly makes the bike turn more quickly. Both have mucho power for the trail and rarely can it all be used. I personally didn't buy the bike for 1/4 mile drag racing. If this is what you want, I believe that the 426 is a tick faster. I am speaking from experience. My weekly riding partner rides one and we have very similar riding skills.

------------------

1999 WR400, IMS Seat/Tank, Pro-Tapers, Enduro Engineering Hand Guards, FMF MegaMax II Exhaust, Panoram Computer, MSR Skid Plate, Dunlop 756 front/back, Throttle Stop Cut, Air Box Lid Removed, Forks Raised 3/4 Inch

Not long ago a loud mouth aquaintence of mine was spouting off at the mouth about how much faster the YZ426 was than the WR400...Well not being one to sit and listen to a whole lot of trash talkin....and havin a friend that is a county speed cop I setup a mile long run next to a riding area behind the Atlanta Motor Speedway. The following results were taken by a certified Radar Gun

1st Run...

YZ426 : 89.9 Mph

WR400 : 95.6 Mph

2nd Run...

YZ426 : 90.2 Mph

WR400 : 95.4 Mph

Both bikes were stock and were ridden by a neutral party that weighed 175 lbs. No special fuel or other tricks to enhance performance except Gray wire removal.

The WR400's advantage is acheived with taller stock gearing.

Bonzai... ?

Jake, Good question! I've had both at the same time riding them back to back. The power is better on the 426 no doubt! For me the biggest difference is that my 426's suspension is sooo much better than my 98 WR400's. My 426 also wheelies alot eaiser. (if that means anything).

Originally posted by Dan Lorenze:

Jake, Good question! I've had both at the same time riding them back to back. The power is better on the 426 no doubt! For me the biggest difference is that my 426's suspension is sooo much better than my 98 WR400's. My 426 also wheelies alot eaiser. (if that means anything).

Thanks for your help guys.jake