My new Baldwin racing xr650r!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are the shrouds also holding gas

Oh yeah! The whole thing is tank.

The tank is an IMS 7gallon Rally tank. I plan to run 3~4 gallons on the dirt plus enough gas to get me to the trailhead. That way the bike will feel lighter than stock because the gas weight will be very low.

Then on rides where gas is NOT available, I can fill her up and not have to carry jugs of gas tied to me or the bike.

Just picked it up today, fully done up by baldwin racing for baha. So far ive only got to ride up and down the street and its quite the beast :bonk:

bike650001.jpg

What do you guys think?

Sweet ride.... ?

Desert rides will be nice on that monster...... ?:eek:?

Nice XR.

He who has a little MX tank in a baja event will have a very relaxing ride with all of the gas breaks.

Which addons made it a baldwin bike? Stablizer? Pro Circut pipe? Etc?

They fully built the bike to prerun/race baja. Also did custom supension front and rear.

The big XR's Honda makes haven't had much change in style for the past 10-15 years. That's why it looks old.

HOWEVER, this model of XR was introduced as a new model in either 2000 or 2001. I hear they aren't planning on making an '07 model XR650. Something about having a CRF 550 or something like that. Anyone hear of that?

Great bikes, tons of power, and the weight will actually help in the stability smashing through the sand whoops.

• 1 month later...
No now THAT is the bigggest tank ive ever seen in my life. You can ride forever and a day with that thing.
Yeah, it’s big. I’m gonna try this graphic package to make it look a little more normal...

new_graphic.jpg

I love the black side covers, I picked up some black Krylon paint and I’m gonna do the side covers and the bottom of the tank below the graphic.

new_graphic02.jpg

Yeah, it’s big. I’m gonna try this graphic package to make it look a little more normal...

new_graphic.jpg

I love the black side covers, I picked up some black Krylon paint and I’m gonna do the side covers and the bottom of the tank below the graphic.

new_graphic02.jpg

Krylon works great. Just make sure you prep the area with actual rubbing alcohol before you paint. It says on the can that you need minimal prep and to use an alcohol "based" cleaner, but I found if you use rubbing alcohol you get better results.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/AnvilAir/Finished1.jpg

You will need to apply about 5 or 6 even, light coats and it will dry very flexible so bending the plastic will not crack it. I also found that if you lightly buff the plastic with a scotch brite pad it helps the paint adhere better as well.

It's gonna look awesome! ? Good luck... ?:confused:

I have had my buddys stock DRZ 400 indicate 104 MPH on the street. He has it geared up. I chugs clicking into 5th at 50 MPH. Also I had a 95 KX 500 run at 94MPH on packed stand according to a GPS. I bet his 650 will pull 115 to 120 on the street with some gearing. Dirtwheels said in a mag with piped 660 Raptor it would pull 90.

Krylon works great. Just make sure you prep the area with actual rubbing alcohol before you paint. It says on the can that you need minimal prep and to use an alcohol "based" cleaner, but I found if you use rubbing alcohol you get better results.

You will need to apply about 5 or 6 even, light coats and it will dry very flexible so bending the plastic will not crack it. I also found that if you lightly buff the plastic with a scotch brite pad it helps the paint adhere better as well.

It's gonna look awesome! ? Good luck... ?:confused:

Yeah, I always keep a gallon of denatured alcohol around for that kind of stuff. Just gotta remember to keep it separate from the non-denatured stuff…

Good tip on the Scotchbrite, I’ll do that. Thanks for the tips, cool!

BTW, I was worried that the gas vapor will come through the tank and bubble the paint like it bubbles the graphics, what do ya think? Also, the graphics come with a tank section that’s perforated and a shroud section that’s NOT perforated. I was thinking of perforating the shroud. If the Krylon stops the fumes, maybe I should paint the area under the graphics too?

Your ‘L’ looks great!

It's gonna look awesome! ? Good luck... ?:bonk:

Try the Krylon Fusion. Its has worked great on my plastic. :confused: