2005 XR650L - comment on jet size

Hey guys & gals, what's your opinion? Remember that the stock jets for a XR650L are 50/152.

I removed the airbox snorkel, installed a K&N filter, and put on a Supertrapp IDS2 Quiet with 10 disks. Rejetted to 55/158. Bike runs better, but seems to not be reaching its peak. Only reaches about 80 MPH on the highway and doesn't do roll-on wheelies in 2nd. Do you think I should bump up the jet size? ?

Thanks for your opinion.

Installed the dynojet kit and don't know what to think. The snorkel is removed and so is smog junk, I am running a UNI filter and stock pipe. I have the air screw out 2.5 turns (tab is ground off) did not drill the slide (dynojet said not to) I installed the 160 main jet and the dynojet needle, and e clip in the 3rd groove with the washer on top of the e clip as stated in the instructions. (seems odd to me - unless it is only there as a retainer over the e-clip, I would of thought it went UNDER the e-clip to raise the needle? Bike starts and runs okay - maybe I was expecting too much. I can loft the front end in 2nd IF I can get it to hook up, lotsa rain here lately (Washingotn state, Whidbey Island) Do I need to install an aftermarket pipe to realiuze the full potrential of the rejetting?

• 1 month later...

Chicago,

Instead of rejetting, if you also trail ride at slower speeds, try new sprockets. Stock is 15/45 and I'm running 13/48. With that I still run a stock chain size and I don't have to continuously change between 1st & 2nd. I've (off road of couse) lifted the front all the way through 3rd. You will trade top end speed for the gear switch though. Hope this helps.

Ed

Chicago,

Instead of rejetting, if you also trail ride at slower speeds, try new sprockets. Stock is 15/45 and I'm running 13/48. With that I still run a stock chain size and I don't have to continuously change between 1st & 2nd. I've (off road of couse) lifted the front in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. You will trade top end speed for the gear switch though. Hope this helps.

Ed

• 2 months later...

i dont know why people mess with dyno jet i just bought a 55 pilot and 158 main keh. from a local bike shop for less than 10 drilled the slide for nothing, shimmed the needle with a washer for nothing, removed the smog crap for free and made block off plates in about 5 min. drilled the snorkle off in no time, plugged the approp. hoses with roofing screws that have a rubber washer. pullled the core out of the pipe and man what a difference. i could'nt figure a cheap way out for the filter i forked out the fitty for a k and n. Oh and i removed the rear fender support and tilted the fender up then drilled holed in it so that the seat bolts go through it it looks awsome after throwing away that nasty taillight assy and putting on a modified 20 dol. mair old xr style taillight for d.kirk. It look as good and any mx fender and drop led setup

because the clip postion changes the fueling when the needle is on the taper.initially at small throttle openings the needle is down.that portion fo the needle is straight.the stock needle straight diameter is too big/lean.

i dont work for dynojet or baja designs.there are many dynojet kits i wont use.

i also make no money from any jetting product being sold.