Sign in to follow this  

Bike runs for about 15 minutes, then will not start

Hey guys, I am new to this posting BB and am really hoping that you all can help.

I have DRZ-400 and it has been running great till about 2 months ago. I can run it for about 15 minutes, or as long as I have the gas engaged and a high RPM, but the minute I let down on that, it will die, and I cannot start it for another 10-15 minutes, but even then it will die almost immediately.

When I do first start it, it runs fine at lower RPM's.

I am not sure where to start looking so wanted to see what some experts out there thought.

If it's an S model check the vacuum line to the fuel petcock (try it in the "prime" position).

Ya if you have an S model pull the cap off the tank and see if the problem vanishes. The CA model canister can cause issues and keep fuel from flowing constantly.

Also check the radiators are getting hot and coolant level is topped off.

hi dustyk,your prob sounds like what i suffered with my drz.The prob with mine was a burnt out connection in the wiring harness,theres a small connector wire that cannot carry the voltage it needs to hence the battery loses power and needs to rest to gain enough voltage to start again but until you change this connection things wont change.I have a friend who works for TAS Suzuki and he fixed mine by simply finding the burnt connection and changing it to a bigger bullet connector.Hope this helps,my drz has been fantastic since.

I have a desert tank on there now, so it is not hte standard tank, do you think this will make a difference in the solution you proposed here

The tank will still need to vent, the first thing I'd do is check and see that the vent is still open.