where to ride? Reno-Carson area

I live in Lake Tahoe and like to go down to the desert and ride. I like Moon Rocks the best and also go south of Carson to the Pine Nut range. I would like to learn about some other good spots. Can anyone tell me of some other good areas. Thanks. Paul.

I grew up in a place called Johnson Lane, in Carson Valley, south of carson city. If you drive down to the Carson Valley area and start heading north(from Minden) on 395 and make a right onto Johnson Lane(heading east now) and drive about 4-5 miles straight up Johnson Lane until the pavement ends and your driving on dirt. Shortly after that you will come up to a fork in the road. You can pick either one, but the right road will get you and your truck a little bit closer to some trails in the pinenuts, but not much.

All around you, even if you go left at the fork there will be open riding area and some beat up old tracks, this is called "the sand pits". There are endless trails that lead back into the pinenut mountains, or all around the pit area, anything you want. Try to look up Mt. Segal or Segal mountain in a local area map. You can ride to it from the pits and it is pretty big hill to climb, make sure you have plenty of gas though.

You live in a great riding area, and there are good areas scattered about, shouldn't be to hard to find some them.

Good luck, Dave

There's a nice area to ride on the east side of Washoe Valley called Jumbo Grade.It has a nice gravel staging area with maps and a pit toilet.I hav'nt rode that much of the area,but it looks to be more family orientated.Lots of trails and a few good mx tracks.Did find one nasty hill climb that had me puckerd up coming back down in the mud

The North Valleys including Peavine is pretty good riding. You'll have the stead track within range, if you are into that sort of thing. There are alot of trails north of lemon valley towards Pyramid lake also there is some good wooded singletrack down the backside of peavine and into Dog Valley. Peavine is under snow towards the top this time of year though.