Walker Valley Report 1-29-06

I went up to Walker the other day. Went through my usual route. CaptainJ and I went up a darn jeep trail ?. It had 3 foot mud for crying out loud! I think it was there that my chain decided to get loose and have about 4 inches of slack hanging off :bonk:! Ever time I went through a puddle, I'd stall right in the middle of it! All considered, it was a good ride ?.

Ride on :eek:

Check out my garage. That's him on the TTR90. He does real good for his age and he's starting to go up the harder trails. Meanderings is one of his usual routes. The only problem he encounters is getting his bike high-centered on the roots!

Nice report Pal!

• 2 weeks later...

The family and I went up there on sat 11th trails were OK, some downed trees we had to get around were fun on meanderings ? I was trying to lead everyone up to split rock but there was atleast 5 inches of snow up toward the top it was too slick for the little ones so we went back and ate lunch at the upper gravel pit. we watched some dudes on quads rip around (thanks for the dust on the sandwiches) then some 4wheelers came along and gave us a show, they looked like little r/c cars from were we were sitting the roll over was pretty funny, no one was hurt thanks for the show :thumbsup:next time I'm bringing my cam corder, there was some guys on wr's that were doing really cool hill climbs also, it didn't look that hard until I was right at the base and my vag started to hurt so :bonk: those guys rock, we all had a blast 37 mile day sun, snow, wind and a show priceless ? peace

Walker was killer on Saturday.

We had some carburation issues on one of the bikes early, But got it figured out pretty quick and had a good ride after the fix.

The staging area was packed but the upper trails were vacant ?

We ran into one other rider up in the snow and he road with us back down.

The only group we saw on the trails was at the downed tree on meanderings trail. They were all stuggling to get around the big blowdown and we just rode over ?

Had to leave to soon 1:30 as someone had to go to work.

Later

Eric

CaptainJ,

Good to meet you and your son on the trail and back at the lot Friday up there at Walker.

That boy is a trooper!

Very muddy bike when I got it home, but much fun..

Leroy. (Blue Dodge & KTM 525 that was next to you.)

Hey nice to meet you too. Nice looking bike you had there too. I think my next bike is going to be a KTM. I'll hang on to my CRF250X, but I sure like the KTM's. I rode a friend of mine's 250 KTM last year out at Manastash. Great bike. I had to ride his because I nearly dropped mine over a cliff the previous day. Goat trails and me don't mix! ?

Thanks for the compliment on my son. I just ordered a new pipe/exhaust for his bike today. It's the White Brothers Mini R4 . I'm not really getting it for the power. I just need to be able to hear him coming up the mountain and make sure the bike is still going. I'm almost deaf in one ear. It should help ... plus ... Make it really cool looking/sounding.

Thanks again,

• 4 months later...

This weekend, I made it up Coyote Trail, and only dumped it 1 or 2 times. I also noticed how great it is on Meanderings Trail how somebody made a opening in a root that was kind of a pain to get over... for me at least, it is right where the trail forks and the right side goes to the road. It was a great ride!

:excuseme:

two yellow poles on the left is that a start of a trail?

There are now dozens of them at Walker.

They are to keep the 4x4 off the bike trails.

Not foolproof, but they have stopped most of that kind of trail damage. :ride:

The Skagit motorcycle Club and the Northern Toys 4x4 did most of the work. :ride:

I just ordered a new pipe/exhaust for his bike today. It's the White Brothers Mini R4 . I'm not really getting it for the power. I just need to be able to hear him coming up the mountain and make sure the bike is still going. I'm almost deaf in one ear. It should help ... plus ... Make it really cool looking/sounding.

Maybe a helmet-to-helmet communicator would be a good addition to keep tabs on the Rooster while keeping a nice quiet bike a nice quiet bike. :ride:

Maybe a helmet-to-helmet communicator would be a good addition to keep tabs on the Rooster while keeping a nice quiet bike a nice quiet bike. :ride:

Now that we got the pipe I like the sound too. Not too loud, but I like your suggestion anyway. It won't be too long and he'll be waiting for me anyway :ride:

Last night I spoke with Kim, the Education and Enforcement lady for the DNR NW region. We discussed that the most important time for her to be present at the Walker trailhead is weekend afternoons, because that is primetime for moron activity in the parking lot. I think she is on the same page as us on that.

Also, last night the Walker Advisory Committee discussed the new map and the final (hopefully) draft should be in our hands next week. As soon as we approve it, I will have a pdf to share. Soon after that the DNR should be posting it on their website.