Sign in to follow this  

06 KXF 250 engine troubles

After reading on here about 06 engine troubles I said "screw it" and bought a 06 KXF anyway. I ain't scared.....well maybe a tiny bit. Anyway I decided that, for my own peace of mind, the reason a couple have had engine troubles is because the lame manual tells you to put the oil filter in backwards. Since I know the right way to install it my bike will live happily ever after which is good because it's the best 250F I've ever ridden. Do you guys think my theory is weak?

I got mine back in Dec, I think it fit me the best and I like the way it handles as far as the past ,its just that the past. :thumbsup:

I always had honda's and was going to buy one, but i heard of the engine problems and was like hmmm, i need to reconsider. So what did i do you ask? I bought the next closest thing (aka shootout winner) showa suspension, aluminum frame, good brakes, and cr high bend renthals on the 06! Its pretty much a honda without the motor troubles lol. I sat on both they are very similiar. and I still own a 2000 cr250 also.

been reads stuff on the yamaha thread and thur is a ppl saying that they have had sparks coming out of thur pipes and aluminum in thur air box!!

After reading on here about 06 engine troubles I said "screw it" and bought a 06 KXF anyway. I ain't scared.....well maybe a tiny bit. Anyway I decided that, for my own peace of mind, the reason a couple have had engine troubles is because the lame manual tells you to put the oil filter in backwards. Since I know the right way to install it my bike will live happily ever after which is good because it's the best 250F I've ever ridden. Do you guys think my theory is weak?

did you get the warranty?

Go check the "ultra reliable" yami forum. Apparently they are have some motor issues potentially relates to the cam tensioner.

I went with the kawi too. i heard more about the Hondas having motor problems.

hahahahahha yeah man, I heard some of them blew up hahahaha, but I say the ones that blew up were not taken care of in the first few hours

:thumbsup:

Go check the "ultra reliable" yami forum. Apparently they are have some motor issues potentially relates to the cam tensioner.

I don't understand why the yamaha's would have any trouble if they didn't change the engine at all. I'm not loyal to any brand in particular... which ever bike is the best; it is what it is. However the yamaha's do seem to be reliable. I think it was probably rider error.

I put my oil filter in backwards, and caused the top end to seize but I still trust the bike. I think it's a solid machine.

I came off a yz450---extremely reliable. I was a little worried about the 06 KX250f's reliability because of the 04 and 05 troubles, and what I had read on the internet about the 06s "blowing up." I personally have never seen a bike blow-up. I discussed with my buddies that ride and one local pro/mechanic (who switched from Yam, too). The stories of bikes blowing up seemed like sensationalist fables, and were never backed up---with any information at all.

Now there have been stories of bikes with trouble due to things that were understandable: sight glass window breaking and oil leaking out unknowingly, or putting the "cough, cough" oil filter in backward. I haven't researched the valve problems lately, but I don't believe that the valves have been a problem on the 06. One side apparently tends to tighten down fairly quickly on some of the bikes, but you just shim and go on.

Just beware of the manual regarding oil filter placement and valve clearance mm-inch conversion. Better yet, just get your wrenching information off ThumperTalk.