Sign in to follow this  

2006 TE 450 vs TE 510 for DS and woods...

The bike is awesome everywhere. I am giddy over this bike. :thumbsup::bonk::thumbsup::eek::p:bonk:

Me also. I did the same thing with the bars. Setting the sag carefully and putting an S12 outback (and JD kit) completed the package. I could not be happier.

paul how was that 16cs in the tight stuff? still good I guess? it must make it lurch a little more in first.?

Bob, it is great for the stuff we do. It might be necessary to raise the rear to a 48 or 46 for Baja for higher sustained speeds but, for the local stuff we do I have no complaints at all. In the single track with hills and so on, still no issues. I haven't really noticed any lurching or anything like that. But, remember, I am used to riding a 520 EXC in all conditions.

BTW, Ask Bret if the Polka Dots will pit for Josh and I if we come race VC this year. Also, I changed from member to FOC. Should I sport the colors or no?

:thumbsup:

Paul

I'll e mail brett ..............i dont do VC or msytery 250, seen pictures, all that is mind bending desert racers balls to the wall madness........I'm more a refined rider :thumbsup:

Hey Luke,

Where Do U Live In Md. Where Do U Ride ? Tower City ? Budds Creek ? Who Are U Getting Your Bike From ?

I live in Towson, north of Baltimore. I've go to TC mostly I guess. I've been to a few of the local hangouts. Camped at Greenridge last year and planning on doing that again soon. I'm getting the bike from Fast By Ferracci Incorporated.

Looking to ride a lot more this year with a DS and E start.

Lukejt

I Live In Stewartstown, First Exit Off 83 After Pa Line. I Was Riding Around Today Eye Balling All Of The Riding Opportunities For A Guy With A Dual Sport. I'm Gonna Order Mine From Harold At Ridersville Cycle In W. Va. But I Gotta Wait 3 Weeks. Does Ferrucci Have Any Bikes In Stock? How Much Did U Pay?

I'm The Ups Delivery Guy At The Towsontown Mall. If Your Every In, Say Hey. I'm Always There.

Has anyone tried these bikes on a motocross track ? I may be using one for motocross riding now and then. I am interested in a TE450 for riding to work and back but mostly for trail and some moto. I already own a Yamaha 2-stroke motocrosser which I intend to keep but my daughter will be using it when she has time to ride with me. I am 5' 10", 150 lbs vet intermediate mx'er. Will this bike work for this purpose? How are the AMA dual sport rides? This would be another use maybe.

I have had my TE-510 on an MX track. I am a beginner MXer, but the bike turns very well, and jumps good too. it is not light like a CRF or YZF and you have to adjust your clickers for MX jumps. The bike also feels like its needs a competition pipe to really wake it up more for MX, but like any trail bike you can run it on an MX track if you want to.

Towsontowm mall? No kidding. I've done service work there from time to time. Bet I've seen you at the loading dock by the elevator. Chick Fil A is one of my customers. I'm supposed to go there on Tuesday for a PMC.

Ferruci told me they are on the boat as we speak. Supposed to be here in February. Only got one because it was used in the media event in NY. Told me the factory mechanic is prepping my bike for me. I asked if they could help me dial in the clickers and they agreed.

Lukejt

I Live In Stewartstown, First Exit Off 83 After Pa Line. I Was Riding Around Today Eye Balling All Of The Riding Opportunities For A Guy With A Dual Sport. I'm Gonna Order Mine From Harold At Ridersville Cycle In W. Va. But I Gotta Wait 3 Weeks. Does Ferrucci Have Any Bikes In Stock? How Much Did U Pay?

I'm The Ups Delivery Guy At The Towsontown Mall. If Your Every In, Say Hey. I'm Always There.

Stop By On Tues. And Say Hey. There Are 2 Ups Guys There. Just Ask For Joe.

What Company Do You Work For?

Ahhhh.

Picked up the TE450 today. There was a guy at the shop trying to buy it from under me. I let him listen to it run then sent him on his way :thumbsup:

It had 16 miles on it. I put another half dozen or so just playing around at the dealer and then in my neighborhood. Unfortunately I can't take it to the woods this weekend. I can't wait to get this thing in the dirt.

The knobs on the rear tire were already a bit worn (before I even picked it up). They look like they are designed for very soft terrain. Michelin Enduro Comp III. The knobs are spaced pretty far apart. I have a feeling I'm going to need a new rear tire real soon. I need super tough tires for riding in the rocks.

I showed the bike to an Italian friend. We tore up the parking lot of his Pizza shop. He loves this bike. Brought back memories of Italy for both him and his sister and law.

The engine feels GREAT. Glad I got the 450 cause I'm usally banging bark and scraping boulders.

Lukejt

Ahhhh.

Picked up the TE450 today. There was a guy at the shop trying to buy it from under me. I let him listen to it run then sent him on his way :thumbsup:

It had 16 miles on it. I put another half dozen or so just playing around at the dealer and then in my neighborhood. Unfortunately I can't take it to the woods this weekend. I can't wait to get this thing in the dirt.

The knobs on the rear tire were already a bit worn (before I even picked it up). They look like they are designed for very soft terrain. Michelin Enduro Comp III. The knobs are spaced pretty far apart. I have a feeling I'm going to need a new rear tire real soon. I need super tough tires for riding in the rocks.

I showed the bike to an Italian friend. We tore up the parking lot of his Pizza shop. He loves this bike. Brought back memories of Italy for both him and his sister and law.

The engine feels GREAT. Glad I got the 450 cause I'm usally banging bark and scraping boulders.

Lukejt

Lukejt, I'm jealous! (Happy for you though.)

I've also got a YZ400F, and I'm ready for something I can ride on street to connect trails, etc. Do you think the TE450 or 510 would work for occasional MX track-duty? Which would be better?

from another post I read there is a motocross review out that says nice things about TC450 on a MX but it says it's powerband feels like a trail bike and that is very true of the TE's on an MX track I know.

the 450 would be more fun on a MX track. The TE-510 is the big power fun play bike. The 450 is more the racer

Hey Husky riders how durable/reliable are those te450's? In general and compared to a Honda xr400?

Thanks

Hey, I'm in the same situation.. I was wondering about a TE450 or TE 510. I currently have a KTM300 EXC 02, it's fun in the desert, but too difficult to control on tight rocky trails. The dealer, GP, recommended the 510 saying it was only $200.00 more, more power. After reading all your comments, I decided to also go for the 450. I also put my deposit. I can still change my mind, but I think I'l probably get the TE450. I'm 46, enjoy the adrenaline of the strong power, but don't have the skill to control at times. Will see how it goes. I'll keept the KTM300 EXC 02 for the desert fun! Thanks you all for your reports. This is an expensive bike, so I want to make the right decision. One complaint of my KTM is the super hard seat, which becomes really bad after a full day at the trail.

Hey, I'm in the same situation.. I was wondering about a TE450 or TE 510. I currently have a KTM300 EXC 02, it's fun in the desert, but too difficult to control on tight rocky trails. The dealer, GP, recommended the 510 saying it was only $200.00 more, more power. After reading all your comments, I decided to also go for the 450. I also put my deposit. I can still change my mind, but I think I'l probably get the TE450. I'm 46, enjoy the adrenaline of the strong power, but don't have the skill to control at times. Will see how it goes. I'll keept the KTM300 EXC 02 for the desert fun! Thanks you all for your reports. This is an expensive bike, so I want to make the right decision. One complaint of my KTM is the super hard seat, which becomes really bad after a full day at the trail.

The TE-510 is pretty mild mannered. Only on short solid rock face climbs have I found it hooks up more then needed. If you are in So Cal then the 510 is recommended as you have so much Desert there and even the LPNF woods above gorman is fine TE-510 country. Live in NorCal? well for the sierra single track woods Te-450 will be better, but the wide open Stonyford and Clear Creeks are good 510 country too. The nice difference between a 2 stroke and thumper is winter mud traction control you have with a thumper. Coming from a 300 exc I think you'll enjoy the 510 gear it taller then stock for open riding. I like 14/48 still has good woods gears but more open ended then the 14/50 stock gearing

Thanks Bigbob! Your comment is very helpful. I have been kind of confused making my decision. I originally picked the TE510 as GP recommended and also said it was well mannered. Then I saw an article from Trail Rider reviewing the TE 450 and TE510 05, and said "All I have to say about the 510 is that if you choose to own one, you'd better need it. Like maybe if you are six foot four and wight 280 lb and every other bike feels punny to you. The 510 is monster, more motor than anyone needs.." I'm 5-10, 177 lb, and I live in San Diego. I go sometimes to Corral Canyon which is mostly single trails, some jeep trails, very rocky, ups downs, turns.. I have manage to control the KTM using a lot of clutch, and I like the intensity, when I have to go through the mud, uphill on a twist, and I just acelarte and up I go. Lark Cayon is the other place. On the other hand Plaster City and Ocotillo have open spaces, and there is where I really enjoy the KTM 300 EXC. I have heard some conflicting comments re. this issue. My nephew raced on the TE450 ISDE last year, and is preparing to go to New Zeland, and he loves his TE450. He thinks I'm crazy if I want more power. I love motorcycles since being a child, and may end up getting a trial bike just for corral canyon. Oh. well, decisions, decision.. I need to call GP tomorrow regarding picking up my bike this week.. Let you know what I end up getting. I wonder if they will let me test drive both at least around the block. Thanks for your help. Any other comments are welcome..

I'm 6'5" 255lbs and a 51 yr old C rider. I loved my 510 in the woods, but now When in the woods and single track all day I take My Berg 450, when traveling to Nevada desert and California open spaces that still have plenty of single track I take my Husky 510. The 510 is very handy in technical stuff, if when the woods or single tack the riding gets real good and plentiful that you start to think hey I can ride a 250 here and be comfortable..when the riding is more like 250 stuff then the 510 feels too big not bad just lots or power, you tend to throttle coast thottle brake alot but on my fe450 and a TE-450 you can be more attack mode in the continous single track.

another guy explained the big bores 510, 525 etc are great play bikes and Desert racers but on tight course harescramble racing and enduros definitely the TE-450 would be better racer.......I kinda agree with that.

PS zekedawg has a 300 exc and rode my Te-510....he liked it and he is looking into the Te510 and ktm 525, I think he is buying a ktm 525..........the point is after having that 300 exc rush of available power.......zekedawg wants nothing to do with any 450. the 450s are not a 510, nope no way.......look at The blue One, he rode my Te-510 and went out and put in a 490 kit in his WR450............I rode that bike and now he has 500 power. Once you taste that 500+ cc power its' sweet to have.

I just picked up the TE450 from GP dealer. Just rode it around the block as I had to go back to work. Very nice feelilng. Actually I expected much more aggressive acelaration (being used to the KTM), mayby BigBob was right about the 510, but not it's too late. The tires slide in the asphalt when you push the throttle (not very safe on the asphalt). I took the limitter off, I'll just take it easy during the brake in period. I guess I'll keep the KTM 300 EXC for adrenaline, and the TE450 for more twisty trails... I noticed it's higher than my KTM. I still feel like I'm cheating when I drove it around the block (it's just a regular dirt bike). I can't wait to test it out in the dirt. I'll come back with my report.

I just picked up the TE450 from GP dealer. Just rode it around the block as I had to go back to work. Very nice feelilng. Actually I expected much more aggressive acelaration (being used to the KTM), mayby BigBob was right about the 510, but not it's too late. The tires slide in the asphalt when you push the throttle (not very safe on the asphalt). I took the limitter off, I'll just take it easy during the brake in period. I guess I'll keep the KTM 300 EXC for adrenaline, and the TE450 for more twisty trails... I noticed it's higher than my KTM. I still feel like I'm cheating when I drove it around the block (it's just a regular dirt bike). I can't wait to test it out in the dirt. I'll come back with my report.

Congrats and good luck with the bike. If you are a 300exc fan, then I suspect you'll like the 450 more than the 510. The shorter stroke motors rev faster and are a bit more responsive than the 510. You will need to rejet to get the bike's full potential. I am running stock TC450 jetting specs in my TE450 and the bike seems dialed in perfectly. The bike is pretty snappy and has a lot of power on tap if/when I twist harder. I have not ridden my 200exc since getting the TE. The TE performs much better in singletrack and technical stuff.

R