Fork spring spacer question

I know a lot of you have replaced your fork springs. Jesse says to use an 1/8 inch pvc spacer. I personally dropped in the new springs and used a 2 1/2 inch pvc spacer because I figured more preload would stiffen the front a bit more. Am I correct in thinking this or should I recut new spacers at 1/8?

Thanks guys.

Just did the straight rate springs myself. I used the short springs as well as the main and I had a good inch of preload measured from the bottom of the cap. I may pull the short springs and cut new spacers for the main springs only, although I can tell a big improvement already.

Don't know what the length is supposed to be but if it is too stiff it will be harsh on small bumps as well as skating out on the front end on gravel roads or hard packed dirt. But that is a hard call to make unless you are used to the bike before and notice these differences. If you have new springs call the manufacturer for their recommendations.

I know a lot of you have replaced your fork springs. Jesse says to use an 1/8 inch pvc spacer. I personally dropped in the new springs and used a 2 1/2 inch pvc spacer because I figured more preload would stiffen the front a bit more. Am I correct in thinking this or should I recut new spacers at 1/8?

Thanks guys.

Re cut new spacers at 1/8, with the fork fully extend springs in measure the distance between the top inside fork to the spring then minus the amount of fork cap and that is zero preload then add 1/8 or 1/4 inch i ran 1/4 inch and adjusted on the road with large cut washers. then adjusted dampening with oil and level I ended up with a combination of 15&7wt oil at about 6 inches from the top.

Thanks guys.

How did you get the cap on with that much preload? Is the 2 1/2" spacer in place of the stock 2" spacer or is that on the bottom (for lowering). I lowered mine and put .6" spacer on top of the spring (stock spiring). I would guess my cap needs to compress the spring about 1/2 inch before it touches the threads. With the stock spring and the .6" spacer it feels good to me (I weigh 175#)

It wasn't hard to get the cap on at all. There was only about a 1/2 inch of spacer sticking out of the top of the fork before we put the caps back on. We did not use the stock spacer. Just dropped in the new springs, washer, and then spacer and cap.

Sounds like you ended up with roughly the same amount of preload as most of us. I am not familiar with how long the aftermarket springs are, but it sounds like you should be in the ballpark. Seems to me if you did shorten the spacer it would result in zero preload or even slop. If you got the spring from Jesse he should be able to tell you a good point to start from.

PS - I could watch your avitar all day ? in fact I often do

Yes, preload is the amount the spring is compressed when the fork is fully extended. With more preload will take more force to start to compress the spring, so it will be stiffer. If the spring was just toughing the cap and not compressed at all that would be zero preload and that would be more plush than if you put spacers in. I think 1.5" of sag is where you want to start. More preload will also mean less sag