Suzuki LT-R 450 vs. HONDA TRX450R

Alright guys,

I'm in the market for a new quad, and I really like my current Z400, but love how the new Honda 450R runs. Whitch bike would you go with. A HONDA 450R with the HRC kit, or a LT-R 450 with Cherrybomb mods. I primarily ride on the sand with paddles, what would you choose? I can get the LT-R for only a couple hundred more than a TRX450R, so price really isn't an issue.

First off, the new Suzuki is an absolute unknown! I can't find any posts in here or anywhere else from anyone who has actually ridden one period, much less anyone who has put a couple of hundred hours of hard a$$ riding on one. Suzuki has a reputation for having problems with their first year machines, like the 03 Z 400's bending axles and shock mounts, and the new Kind Quads "sucking" dust. So, its BUYER BEWARE WITH ANY FIRST YEAR SUZUKI!

It is clear to me that Suzuki built this machine purely for the track, not the trail. That may work well for a pure duner, but if you are riding any of the trails at Oregon Dunes, you may find that the Suzuki is a little wide for trail riding.

Tha 06 R has the CRF450X engine in it, and is reputed to make ~50 hp with the HRC kit, so it should have all the power you need even at the dunes. The R has great trail handling (although the powerband is pipey like a 2-stroke), so it isn't a pure track machine like the Suzuki.

Nine out of the top ten finishers at the recent Baja 1000 were 450R's! That's all I need to know..........

.....That may work well for a pure duner, but if you are riding any of the trails at Oregon Dunes, you may find that the Suzuki is a little wide for trail riding....

I rode the 2000 Bombardier DS650 (50" width, about the same as the Suzuki Z450) through just about every trail at the Florence and Coos Bay/North Bend dunes, as well as Sand Lake, without any width issues. No issues at all. The Suzuki should not have a problem out at the Oregon dunes.

Yes, there may be some concerns with the Suzuki, in general, since it's a first year, but, with the the Z400 biting them in the a$$ as it did, with it's frame weakpoints, I would think that they would have made sure that this was not an issue. The reviews I have read have stated that they have paid special attention to frame development for the 450, because of this, as well.

The Honda has a lot of power, but, it has troubles using it, being a bit more tippy and harder to control, compared to the Yamaha 450. Now, with wider a-arms and axle, it may be less of an issue.

I would think that between the Suzuki, Honda, or Yamaha, it's a win, win, or win situation. =)

Good luck and have fun with whatever your choice is.

I think the Suzuki is going to be untouchabel stock 4 stock on the track, which is great for racers since they can save a lot of money unless maybe they are at the pro level. But the fact is, only a small portion of sales go to racers, so it will be intersting to see what the sales figures are in the next few years.

I really only ride for fun. Some drag races now and then at Winchester Bay Dunes, but mostly just ride and clime. The real reason I asked is because I currently have a DVX 400, and love it. I know that it is pretty much Suzuki, now my Bro-in-law, he has a TRX450 with the HRC kit in it, and the bike is mean. Its a great bike, and the HRC kit only made it that much better. Alas, I am not a big fan of Honda. I know the TRX450 is a lot different the the 400EX, but my 03 400EX was a piece, it really turned me off on Honda, my DVX has way more power, and didn't even cost as much! After the warranty was up on it, I had nothing but problem, after problem with it. So thats why I'm having the problem going back to Honda. So basically go back to Honda for the TRX450R? or go for the LT-R450 from Suzuki?

Price really isn't an issue either, a TRX450R with HRC kit = 6700 out the door, or a LT-R 450 = 6999 out the door, so price is a hard thing to compare the two bikes on.