Sign in to follow this  

Do you warm up your engine?

i warm it up until the cylinder wall is warm and the rads are warm-to-hot. i go by the temperature of the cylinder more, idk why, i just do. then i take it easy for 5-10 min, then do whatever.

ive never hit my rev limiter lol, hopefully my top end will last a while then.

Yep.

My 250 smoker idles while I'm getting geared up, like some others have posted.

For my 450 stroker, I start it and let it idle for just a minute or two (otherwise, it will start spewing coolant).

My truck idles for at least a minute, then I hold the throttle steady (no up & down with the rev's) at 750-800 rpm until the water temp guage has begun moving up into the normal operating range.

I warm my motor with my girlfriends blowdryer,for like 10 min.Then i start it,and hold it pinned for 5min.It blows up all the time,so i'm not queer!!!

In the winter I push the auto start button on my truck at least 15 minutes before I want to go anywhere... Of course I'm in Fairbanks Alaska and a -30 deg. day in the winter is not concidered a "COLD" day. I do warm up everything I ride or drive for at least a couple minutes regardless of weather too.

my bikes idle is all the way up and neither of them idle right till theyre warmed up. my ttr is espeically a problem. but everyone else i know with a 90 has that problem too. i usually rev my TTR hard, ever blown a TTR90 top end? hahahaha, hmm i wonder if i can do that...

my bikes idle is all the way up and neither of them idle right till theyre warmed up. my ttr is espeically a problem. but everyone else i know with a 90 has that problem too. i usually rev my TTR hard, ever blown a TTR90 top end? hahahaha, hmm i wonder if i can do that...

You're 16, aren't you?! You could break a damn anvil if you really wanted to!:ride:

I start up my bike, then put on most of my gear. That takes about 2 minutes. then I stretch, but on my helmet and go, the bike's warm.

I usually start my bike, then put on my helmet and gloves and such, close the garage door, then take off. Gives the bike a little bit to warm up.

It isn't so much about the warmth of an engine. It is more to do with letting the oil circulate before putting the engine under load, i always warm my bike up before i ride. Start it then put gloves helmet and goggles on it only needs a minute, then i take it easy for a few minutes being careful not to accelerate too hard 5 mins later and awaaaaay we go:thumbsup:

Interesting point about cars however is that the manuals always say start and drive immediately and to never let the engine just idle from cold start up :ride: It goes against my common sense but i do exactly that and always have in all my cars, i think the companies that spend millions on R&D know better than i so i follow blindly:ride:

yeah i blew my yz125 up once from not warming it up, i got all geard up then just started hauling ass, from now on i get half my gear on then i start it up giving it plenty of time to warm up

Interesting point about cars however is that the manuals always say start and drive immediately and to never let the engine just idle from cold start up :ride: It goes against my common sense but i do exactly that and always have in all my cars, i think the companies that spend millions on R&D know better than i so i follow blindly:ride:

I've never actually seen that in an owner's manual...but that in no way means that it isn't there...

I'm thinking that would be suggested due to the oil pump pickup tube location and the slope the vehicle can potentially be parked on. If the pickup tube were at the rear of the oil pan, and the vehicle was parked on a slope nose-down, there's a risk of little or no oil being drawn back into the oil pump, and if it were to sit idling like this...Warranty and/or customer satisfaction issues!:ride:

But if it were clearly stated in the manual that it's not recommended to sit and idle during warm-up, the manufacturer has the legal high ground.