Sign in to follow this  

Yz/wr 200?

Not that they'd do it, but I'm thinking that if Yamaha took their current YZ125 and made a larger cylinder/crank and made it a 200 that it'd make one heck of a fun bike. 👍

6 speed, very lightweight, and use the additional displacement to add lots of low-midrange power without hurting the top-end pull.

18" rear, lighting coil, softer springs, and a larger tank should take care of the mods, right?

Is there a market for these? 👍 Over on KTMtalk the 200's are very well liked.

I'm aware of the old DT200, IT175/200, WR200, etc.

I'm just looking at the potential the lil' 125 has and the off-road market share KTM posseses, and thinking that the big Y is leaving some money on the table.

my bro has a 98 yz125 is there a kit that can bore and stroke it to a 200 im aware of RPMs 168 kit how does that work any body have one

• Haha 1

I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. I just finished a KX 144. The 200 would be perfect. The YZ would be better as it weighs 10 lbs less than the lightweight KX.

I am sure they woudl find a way to screw it up. The old WR 200 was ok, but the chassis was dated and the bike was heavy.

I know they won't build it, but it seems the less they do to it the better off the end result would be (weightwise at least).

I think adding a slightly wider ratio tranny would be the only other item worth adding.

Think of your KX144 with 56 more cc's. I'd imagine with even the minimal enduro stuff on there it would somehow add 10 lbs.

I raced the WR-200. It was a pile. Hardly a overbored, race bike. I think they only made them for about two years, 91-92 or so. The motor was a over square street bike motor they took out of somekind of Japanese only bike. It was the first electric power valve in a dirt bike that I'm aware of. I never did think it could respond fast enough though, and there was not enough bottom end to even try to use it. It was probably a good beginner bike. The rest of the bike wasn't that bad, just a little heavy. I won a few races on it in the 200 Expert class in 91. I thought it was going to blow up every race though. Back then though the only other real bike in the class was the KDX 200s (which I went back to after about 4 races). The KDX was a much better bike and could be modified to run amazingly well. Since our rules have changed and the class is now combined with 125s, overbored 125s and KTM 200s, the old Wr 200 wouldn't stand a chance. I'd love to see the Japanese manufactures give us some offroad 200s (based on 125s) and offroad 300s (based on the 250s). They won't do it. But since there are so many Vet riders now that can run whatever (since 91 I've graduated to the 0/30, then O/35 and now O/40), I'd bet they would sell a ton on WR 300s. Same bike as the 250s, but with slightly bigger bore and stroke (tranny wouldn't be a problem, we don't even want more peak H/P, just more down low) bigger tank, WR tranny, offroad valving (same springs, or even stiffer since most of us Vets are heavier than their target 160 pound M/Xr), heavier flywheel. KTM has figured out the Vet thing, when will the rest of them?

Could a custom cylinder and crank be built to make it feasable?

The old IT175/200's were based on the YZ125 engine although it was a couple of years behind. I'm thinking of the bore to stroke ratio to make a bigger 125/smaller 250 powerband.

Not that they'd do it, but I'm thinking that if Yamaha took their current YZ125 and made a larger cylinder/crank and made it a 200 that it'd make one heck of a fun bike. 👍

6 speed, very lightweight, and use the additional displacement to add lots of low-midrange power without hurting the top-end pull.

18" rear, lighting coil, softer springs, and a larger tank should take care of the mods, right?

Is there a market for these? 👍 Over on KTMtalk the 200's are very well liked.

I wish Yamaha would build the bike you are talking about.

YZ125 chassis

a sleeved down 250 motor or a punched out 125

a bunch more low end than the 125 has

suspension between the MX bike and the WR

a 2.5-2.8 gallon tank (not over 3, as i hate carrying around that big blob)

I do not really care for the 18" back wheel, so I would prefer to stick with a 19". (I know that most offroaders like them, but I have never had a problem with a 19")

You can buy the same basic bike over at KTM, but I have owned KTM's and Yamaha's over the years, and the suspension on a Yamaha is soooo much better.

Dreaming.

i built a yz 200 last year

i used a yz125 frame

Ti sub frame

sdg tall seat

ally tank [just cus i like the way they look]

yzf250 wheels

wr426 suspension

wr200 motor

carbon fibre engine mounts

it rocked,,, made the front cover of a UK Bike magazine

sadly i only rode it a few times before it was stolen by some local scumbags:cry:

yz200done5.jpg

That is a sick ride. As far as holding out for a 200, no need to go to all that r&d. I'd buy a WR250 tomorrow if it was 2 stroke. I just keep putting more desert parts on my 01 yz and waiting.

That is a sick ride. As far as holding out for a 200, no need to go to all that r&d. I'd buy a WR250 tomorrow if it was 2 stroke. I just keep putting more desert parts on my 01 yz and waiting.

Fantastic bike. Is the ignition cover off another bike?

Not as cool as Mark_England's but here is another one. Lotsa' guys on here doing this conversion in one shape or form. 

I know this topic is YEARS old, but I think Ray450 is nuts, this little motor rocks!

johns bike complete.jpg