450 Exc

I am wondering what exhaust I should run in District 37. I am thinking the power bomb header with the Q2 or the Ti Q. Or something else that meets 96DB and is a Sparky. I also have a overheating prob. I run the engine ice and it still overheats. I have a IMS tank on that looks as if it let less air through compared to the stock tank. I have also taken the theramstat out but dont know if that helped yet bc the stator is ded. any help would be great. it is a 06 450 EXC

I have never had a problem with overheating a KTM so maybe its your jetting? Several qualified mechanics have stated that a lean motor will run VERY hot. can you do a temp test on the exhaust manifold? there is a temp where aluminum starts to vaporize and that will leat to strange deposits on the exhaust valves. This will continue untill catastrophic melt down so try to richen up the jetting just a little and see if that helps.

Hey, its worth a try.

I don't believe that you will get any increase in power over a stock KTM pipe, just more noise. At best you may loose a pound or two, but that is the most increase in performance you will get. Stay with stock and save you money for a jet kit. As stated, most overheating problems are due to over lean jetting. JD Jetting is about the most common jet kit for the KTM. Other should work just fine though.

If your bike has stock jetting, your running too lean. While it is true, to some degree, that most if not all 4 strokes will blue the header pipe (if it is chrome), it is caused by a lean condition and over heats the pipe.

You say you're running rich. How do you know that? Have you checked your spark plug? That is the best quick way to determine. If it is rich, the plug will be dark and oily looking. The plug should be a dry tan color if the jetting is on.

What is the dealer basing his opinion on? Has he even seen the bike? Doesn't sound like he is deep in engine knowledge. Maybe he's trying to sell you a GasGas?

It sounds like your dealer likes to rebuild engines? On my '04 EXC450 i also have a SLIGHT bluing of my head pipe but its not blue all the way to my boot. If you have any questions reguarding jetting your KTM and you cant find an answer here at TT. Try

www.ktmtalk.com

or

www.ktmamerica.com

The later is the webpage for Holeshot KTM in Akron Ohio. Denny is the owner and has been wrenching KTMs for over 30 years. I consider him to be one of the most knowledgeable Mechanics in the industry and he is willing to share his knowledge with you. if you browse to his site and click the FAQ or the chat room he may be online and willing to answer your queston. You can also call him at any time and simply ask him your question and he will always have the answer. Not to mention that he has EVERY part in stock and will have it to you as quick as possible if you need it. No i dont work for them but i have bought 3 bikes from him (a 6 hour drive from where i live) and all of them were assembled perfectly to my specifications and he took the time to set up the suspenson my style as well as made all the jetting changes before i ever picked up the bike. Unbelievable customer service for the day.

I never liked thumpers until i rode one that he (Denny at Holeshot KTM) set up. It was the his personal 440EXC/LC4 (?) i think, and at the time of kickstart only thumpers, he could start it with his HANDS. Yup, he would cycle it through once and then jerk back on the kickstarter once and that darn thing would start every time.... he even did this on the trail once just to shut me up about how hard it is to start 4-strokes.... at that moment he was my hero!

?

he is a guy in a club of D37 the plug is not tang it is dark. I know when a bike is running rich or lean I have a KX250 that I just blew up. But I am new to 4 st so I am hearing manythings from many people.

me and the people at ktmtalk dont really get along. their way of running the fourm is stupid and they dont like the fact that I said that so I dont really go back. that and i tried to get info and they were unable to help they moved my thread and then deleted it and so on and so forth. I like place much better

me and the people at ktmtalk dont really get along. their way of running the fourm is stupid and they dont like the fact that I said that so I dont really go back. that and i tried to get info and they were unable to help they moved my thread and then deleted it and so on and so forth. I like place much better

You should reread your posts before you submit them. They are very hard to follow. You seem to jump around a lot.

I think you will find they don't put up with crap over there, any crap gets started it just gets deleted right away, IMO best policy too so if your post got moved it was obviously in the wrong forum, you started shooting off for moving it they delted your post altogether, problem solved. Use the forums for what they are for ?

To answer your question, 1st place to start is your jetting almost certainly too lean and that will cause overheating problems, then go on to check your coolant mixture, while you are at it give it a bleed if air is in the system that too will cause you problems. If these are all correct then maybe you should consider the cooling fan available for them they are east peasy to install and will certainly fix your problem ?

it is running rich not lean. I just bleed my fluid and put in engine ICE that states it should lower ur engine temps by 40-50 degress

Are you hard of hearing or just not that bright? Everyone has been telling you that if the pipe is blue and you are overheating and you have stock jetting then you are almost definitely running too lean. You said that you know when a bike is running rich or lean but you quite clearly don't have a clue. You sound like a certain poser we have all heard from before.

he said that the header shoud be purple and blue and that is how all 4 strokes r soposed to be he said KTM Gas Gas Yamaha Kawasaki the yellow things and those pos red things that some how they call bikes

let me quote my self here. ? does it say my header is purple and blue? No it say that he said it should be. I do know what I am talking about to a certian exstent. As for my kawi I dont know why that gave way yet but I will know by the weekend. So either you are stupid and cant read or ur just dyslexic. ?