Huge ass fire up by sadleback

It looks pretty bad up there. I have never seen anything like that in those mountains before. I have to go home that way tonight. I sure hope they can get a handle on it. Maybe they already have...

The wind shifted directions this afternoon. It should at least move away from communities and into the hills.

I live on the other side of the hill. Those giant water dropping choppers have been flying over my house all day. Why do they have to fly like 200 feet off the ground? ?

I was thinking about getting on my bike and riding up over the mountain to see if I could get close to the fire, but I didn't want to get caught riding where I shouldnt be. It's torture having miles of trails right at your doorstep and not being able to ride them!

Pretty sure its still going. They have to fight it from the ground now because they cant fly at night. But I think I heard in the news that the 241 is supposed to open up by tomorrow morning. That can change though. If its not open by tomorrow, then I feel sorry for all the people driving to O.C.

At about 11:30 it looked pretty nasty up that canyon. Glowing and thick smoke. The wind was kicking up, I would say about 30mph when I came through there.

They might as well let us put some red sticker trails up there now. I sure hope they get it out quick and nobody gets hurt out there. Fire sucks...

From theclone

I live on the other side of the hill. Those giant water dropping choppers have been flying over my house all day. Why do they have to fly like 200 feet off the ground? ?

It takes time to gain elevation when loaded and that time is the difference between saving someone's house or not you welcome that sound. It isn't much of an inconvenience if you or someone you know is about to lose their house to the fire.

Besides what are doing home in the middle of the day?

Does anyone know why Channel 4 news was calling this the Sierra fire? I've never heard of those hills referred to as the Sierras.

Could it be they're using that since it makes a more attractive headline?

"Major Fire Threatens Sierras!"

VS

"Major Fire Threatens Cleveland National Forest"

Besides what are doing home in the middle of the day?

Nasty cold. I hate being sick.

I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, just kinda wondering why those choppers fly so low. I can watch them fly all the way to where they pick up the water, and they never gain much altitude. I guess they figure its more efficient to just fly straight instead of picking up altitude. Its actually kinda cool watching them fly over.

Well i know several firemen alot of close friends of the family ( im in the fire acedemy too)...3 of them each said the same exact story to me how the fires started...

apparently the fire dept was doing small controlled brush fires the other day to clean up some of the hills and i guess somehow the wind picked up and the embers started the fire up huge befor they could do anything...

im 100% positive they will cover it up and noone will ever know, but this is acual info i got from close friends who work with the fire dept

sad they they do crap like that and hide behind there actions ?

Well i know several firemen alot of close friends of the family ( im in the fire acedemy too)...3 of them each said the same exact story to me how the fires started...

apparently the fire dept was doing small controlled brush fires the other day to clean up some of the hills and i guess somehow the wind picked up and the embers started the fire up huge befor they could do anything...

im 100% positive they will cover it up and noone will ever know, but this is acual info i got from close friends who work with the fire dept

sad they they do crap like that and hide behind there actions ?

Nearly impossible to believe that they would doing control burns during Red-Flag Wind warnings (i.e. Santa Ana wind conditions). I don't believe it!