Do you stop, or do you... GO

I have to haul my bike about 60 miles to the nearest place to ride... So who can blame me for wanting to take out my bike and go riding without driving for an hour? Anyway, Ive never had any problems riding around where I live just scoping places out and riding here and there... keeping a low profile. Ive gone onto a lot of peoples property and i usually ask em about riding there and they usually told me to leave but that was all. I found that just talking to people like a mature adult never started conflicts. That all changed when i bought my yz426. Its like people want blood when they see me. (It's probably because of all the racing decals and the louder engine and everything i have now) I was just riding down this dirt road that i always ride on and this guy stopped in front of me and i thought he was gonna tell me somewhere to ride but then he starts calling the cops and threatening to beat my ass if i try to leave. I would have left but i wasnt very good at starting the 426 yet... so i didnt wanna risk it. So I talked to the cops and when the guy left the cops were real cool about it and let me go, But now im just kind of pissed and Im a lot more careful about where i ride, but I dont stop for anyone anymore even if they look friendly. I guess I should just wait until summer to ride... since im moving to a town with a ton of places to ride. Has anyone here had similar experiences??

The YZ426 is pretty loud. Noise tends to offend people.

It's all downhill from there.

Also, if you went form a timid looking trail bike to an agressive MX bike, people might think you are going to tear up the area. It's like driving down the dirt road in a Jeep CJ5 or Big Foot. In the Jeep, people might think you are passing through, in the competition off-roader, then think you're going to get wild.

Keep off private property.

Get into stealth mode. Quieter muffler, short shift.

If you go for a ride in the woods and no one hears you, were you there? ?

The KTM 300 EXC can be absolutely quite, yet powerful.

I've had the same kind of run in on my 426. I can ride from my house (legally) out into open desert which is state trust land where I have a permit to ride. But I have to go past a neighborhood of retirement people's houses so I always just put in 2nd for about 1/2 mile until I'm clear of the neighborhood.

A couple of weeks ago I had 2 old guys come out and flag me down...they were really dicks about it.....telling me how I'm making too much noise, too much dust, how his wife is dying of a lung disease, etc. I kept my bike running and tried to be cool about it and talk to them. I told them that I was sorry about his wife and that I ride slow in this area but he was just pissed off....telling me he was going to call the cops, which I welcomed him to do since I was not riding illegally. Then he tells me to go ride out in another area and break my neck out there (an illegal area)...thats when I kinda laughed and said "Now, thats not really nice...how would you like it if I told you to go fall down in the shower and break your hip?" Well, that pretty much set him off....so I just got outta there before things got out of control.

I've had the same kind of run in on my 426. I can ride from my house (legally) out into open desert which is state trust land where I have a permit to ride. But I have to go past a neighborhood of retirement people's houses so I always just put in 2nd for about 1/2 mile until I'm clear of the neighborhood.

A couple of weeks ago I had 2 old guys come out and flag me down...they were really dicks about it.....telling me how I'm making too much noise, too much dust, how his wife is dying of a lung disease, etc. I kept my bike running and tried to be cool about it and talk to them. I told them that I was sorry about his wife and that I ride slow in this area but he was just pissed off....telling me he was going to call the cops, which I welcomed him to do since I was not riding illegally. Then he tells me to go ride out in another area and break my neck out there (an illegal area)...thats when I kinda laughed and said "Now, thats not really nice...how would you like it if I told you to go fall down in the shower and break your hip?" Well, that pretty much set him off....so I just got outta there before things got out of control.

That was a lot funnier to me than it should have been. I am sick and on meds so maybe that helped... hahaha break a hip..... hahahahaha

I made that mistake once, I rode less than 100 yards from my house around a barricade (that was the end of the road) and into a construction area. i only rode for a minute or two and i left but when i was going around the barriacade a guy who lived close to there comes running out of the bushes, knocks me down and starts threatening me?!?! I got up and told the guy that if he didnt want me riding there all he had to do was say so and i would stop. I had ridden in that area for about 5 years before he moved in but apparently i wouldnt be riding there any more. I know its not right but looking back i should have taken off my helmet and beaten his fat arse with it. When he pushed me over it tweaked my wrist and elbow since i was just getting back on the pavement. arrrrggggghh thinking about that pisses me off!

Four strokes are the best thing to ever happen to this sport.

dont get me wrong, I like thumpers, but most of the new thumpers are quite a bit louder than pingers. Like its been said- "stealth mode" keep the revs way down low until your out where you can ride!

I agree, "Kill them with kindness" is the best approach but some times as you have experienced some people are just looking for someone to yell at.

For those people I call their bluff...

Jump of your bike like a mad man, let it drop to the ground still running and run right up to them waving your hands franticly.

One guy in a 100 will be ready for you, deal with him as you see fit, all others will wilt up like the bitches they are and leave you alone.

I was surprised one day when two ladies walking the ORV trail tried to stop me and tell me I was going too fast. Speed limit is 45! and? you are going too fast! and you know this how? I can tell by how loud your bike is! Loud like this? crank on throttle and kick shit right in their face. That was real loud but I wasn't even out of first gear! Shows what you know lady! Bite me!

The funny thing one lady by herself would never even of tried to flag me down but with her friend there as support decided she would grow some balls. I quickly reminded her she has non and should smarten up before some 20 year old kid beats the crap out of her.

now thats funny ?

similar thing has happened to me. i was riding with three friends in a quarry where we ride on a weekly bases,(me dad knows the owner) all of us on 125's. this guy just pulls up in his car, parks across us so we can't go anywhere. he gets out, tells us to switch of the bikes, we did not thinking we where in trouble or anything. he tells us that he is the manger of the quarry, and that we are trespassing, so hes going to press charges and stuff. he trys to take our names and details, i ask him if he has ID or something, he says no. we told him then that we have permission to be here, and that we're not telling him anything. he called the cops, they did not show up, rarely do. i called my dad, he came down with the owner. turns out the guy who stop us did not even work there, and did not even live around there either, he just left as soon as we asked who he was....strange or what, can't help thinking he was going to try and kill us or steal the bikes or something..........

Shoulda kept the engine on until you knew it was a friendly

or let him beat your ass so you can sue him the american way!

I think it is important to clarify this statement. I think he meant to say: "sue him the California way. (with full backing from the ACLU). I mean, gosh, I was only riding my dirtbike on someones private property. Oh sure I knew it was it was someone's property, but gee, I got rights ya know...etc...ad nauseum. ?

Good stories. Sometimes my friends and I do a "Night Assault" where we just get the bikes out late at night and drive down the neighorhood streets. Usually some Joe do gooder trys to follow us or run us off the road. It is funny to see how much people like to take positions of authority. I do think that riding on private property is disrespectful and I choose not to do that.