2006 450sx

Went to the dealer's yesterday looking at the new model bikes, and they had 3 new 450SX's in stock as well. I already have an '06 CRF, but man that bike looked sweet. Out of curiosity asked the sales man the price- yours for only $7,800!!!! I about crapped my pants! The Yellow YZF SE 450 was $7,899! ? These guys have got to be freaking kidding me! No wonder they have a bunch of '05 CRF's and '05 YZF's still taking up space on the floor!

KG, What are you talking about? Steel frame, weird body work, less power. Are you nuts?!

Sorry Katoomers, but the truth be the truth.

Does the price of the other 450's include valves, clutches, and all the other parts that have to be replaced every 15 hours? Just curious.

Not maintenance free but i would say more reliable if taken care of.

That goes for any bike. We've been seeing 06 yz250f's destroying valves and heads, bad! So there is no bike that is immune. The Katoom 450's may be a little less susceptible because of their lower power output, but I'd rather have the extra 6 hp. ?

Let's not hit the panic button here! NO I am not going orange! Just was shocked to see the price!

Whew...

(back of the hand wipes the brow)

One of the guys on my race team just went from a 200sx to a new 450 and that is one funky looking machine IMO. It is at a serious power disadvantage as well, but he's a small guy so it works for him.

My last 3 bikes were Hondas. I rode the 06 250sxf and was hooked. I'm too heavy for it, though... at 235lbs, but it had plenty of balls for the small tight SX track I rode it on. I agree the new 06 sx bikes kill in the looks department. I should have the 06 450sx in 2 weeks. I've always been a painful to watch slow rider, but I must admit my corner speed was pretty damnnnn good with the KTM. I just hope the 450sx feels similar to the sxf;I've only ridden the 03 and 04 KTM 450SX. I'm not concerned about the power disavantage compared to the other jap 450's. I think power is very overated in the 450 class. My CRF was a rocketship when I put an aftermarket exhuast and changed the gearing, but it just wore me out after a couple of laps. Funny thing was, I sold the the exhaust and put the (chopped 5 inches off stock muffler) stock one back on, and it made the power much smoother. I lost a lot of low end but it was still good. I pulled more holeshots with the bike stock and hacked, (against 520's and tricked out CRF's) and rode longer too. The reality is, the KTM 450SX has more than enough power than most anyone here can really use, or would care to admit.. unless of course they're racing on straightaways! ?

My 450sx doesn't feel much different than my wifes 250sxf. I think you'll be very happy with the choice you have made...

Let the other guys make fun of you for getting an underpowered bike... Then they'll wonder what the heck happened when they can't get around you on a fast straight away... ?

My 450sx doesn't feel much different than my wifes 250sxf. I think you'll be very happy with the choice you have made...

Let the other guys make fun of you for getting an underpowered bike... Then they'll wonder what the heck happened when they can't get around you on a fast straight away... ?

Pffffffftt! Yeah right. ?

That goes for any bike. We've been seeing 06 yz250f's destroying valves and heads, bad! So there is no bike that is immune. The Katoom 450's may be a little less susceptible because of their lower power output, but I'd rather have the extra 6 hp. ?
Do you really need the extra 6 hp??? I would say no. Unless you are a pro and you use every bit of power, then 6 hp does not matter at all. I'd give up 6 hp to not have to worry about valves.

Do you really need the extra 6 hp??? I would say no. Unless you are a pro and you use every bit of power, then 6 hp does not matter at all. I'd give up 6 hp to not have to worry about valves.

Do you need the extra 6hp? No. Do I need the extra 6hp? You better believe it. Until my bike has valve issues, I can't make any comment other than my '05 has had zero problems and will blow a KTM off the track. ?

Don't overly get excited guys. All my comments are in fun. I'm just messing with you. Everyone has their own preference. All the bikes are so good nowadays that you can't really complain about any of them, but I do wonder why KTM built a bike with less power than all the others in it's class. The rest of their bikes make tons of power for their respective classes. ?