Sign in to follow this  

help changing fork oil in CRF250x (2006)

I have been reading the manual and trying to find the answers I need on the web to no avail. I am trying to find the best way to change the fork oil. I was told at a local shop that I could drain the oil from the shock by simply removing the center bolt from the bottom of each shock while it was still assembled on the bike, allow the oil to drain from the bottom of the shock assembly and refill thru the air bleeder valve.... I have some seal savers to put on anyway so I think I will go ahead and take the forks completly off of the bike. Has anyone used a tool other than the fifty dollar lock nut wrench to loosen the fork damper from the outer tube? Am I correct in thinking that once I remove the damper from the outer tube I will have only two peices (damper and outer tube)? I can then drain the oil from the outer tube and replace with new oil? I can't find any clear information on this procedure and any help would be appreciated.

1. Loosen upper pinch bolts only.

2. Loosen damper nut. (Large nut on top of fork)

3. Remove forks from triple clamps

a. Be careful that they don’t fall to the floor.

4. Unscrew damper nut all the way

5. slide outer tube down slowly.

6. Drain oil for forks

a. One thing that I do is to pour the oil into a container so that I can measure the amount of oil that came out.

7. Replace oil

8. Reassemble in reverse.

If you have the manual you can follow the directions in there and they work well.

As far at the tool for the damper I made one in my shop, or if you can find one a

1-15/16" wrench will work.

Am I correct in thinking that once I remove the damper from the outer tube I will have only two peices (damper and outer tube)?

No you have to unscrew the damper and then unscrew the compression bolt on the bottom of the fork. Then your have to loosen the lock nut from the compression bolt then you will have two parts. You will need the special tool to hold he lock nut from going back into the fork at this point. I made one that works really well and would be willing to lend it out if you are willing to do the shipping thing. Although if all you are doing is seal savers you should not need it.

Sorry if you terminology is not correct in some areas.

Has anyone used a tool other than the fifty dollar lock nut wrench to loosen the fork damper from the outer tube?

Yeah, I found a $39.99 lock nut wrench.... :thumbsup:

click

Where in Alabama do you live? I'm in Huntsville and have a little suspension shop with all the correct tools, perhaps I can help.

What about the inner cartridge oil? That's the stuff that really goes through hell.

I think you're talking about only changing the outer cartridge oil, or volume oil. Really no sense in changing one without changing the other.

There's a technique to bleeding the inner cartridge oil too, If you have no experience you should probably have someone do it.

Like I said, if you live close to Huntsville I'll be glad to show you once, then you'll be able to do it on your own.

Where in Alabama do you live? I'm in Huntsville and have a little suspension shop with all the correct tools, perhaps I can help.

What about the inner cartridge oil? That's the stuff that really goes through hell.

I think you're talking about only changing the outer cartridge oil, or volume oil. Really no sense in changing one without changing the other.

There's a technique to bleeding the inner cartridge oil too, If you have no experience you should probably have someone do it.

Like I said, if you live close to Huntsville I'll be glad to show you once, then you'll be able to do it on your own.

Seti_1,

Thanks for offering to help me out and I may take you up on it. I live in Trussville, just East of Birmingham. I have family in Huntsville (Gurley) and I play golf there a couple of times a year. Have you ever been to the Ridge (www.ridgeriding.com) in Springville to ride? If you have been to the Ridge I live about 20 minutes from there. Fortunately I have a good friend who has more experience working on shocks than I do and he is helping me out but I may call on your experience if I/we get stuck on something.

thanks again

Seti_1,

Thanks for offering to help me out and I may take you up on it. I live in Trussville, just East of Birmingham. I have family in Huntsville (Gurley) and I play golf there a couple of times a year. Have you ever been to the Ridge (www.ridgeriding.com) in Springville to ride? If you have been to the Ridge I live about 20 minutes from there. Fortunately I have a good friend who has more experience working on shocks than I do and he is helping me out but I may call on your experience if I/we get stuck on something.

thanks again

PM'd ya :thumbsup: