Sign in to follow this  

Please explain Supermoto to me

I'm looking at getting a new bike for commuting, and I'm curious about the supermotos. I saw one at the dealer, and the tires look like they would be terrible on a dirt road. I think they're neat looking mutant bikes, but would a supermoto work as a commuter?

not very good for freeway use. i ride a 650sm to work almost every day of

year. 30 miles round trip.

i ride it in the dirt too.

Comfortable seating position but you will beat it to death as a commuter and it will beat you to death too....but now if ya want to play..nothing finer...

for city commuting I don't think there's a better bike to commute on than a Street SM. Unless you need to ride a long way on the freeway at 80+mph the SM will be perfect. If your commute is nice windy bi-ways with 55mph speedlimits the SM will Own all. I've got a converted XR650L at the bike works perfectly in every situation except highspeed cruising.

The Supermoto is an awesome around town, shorter trip on the freeway, get to work late 'cause your having WAY too much fun to care about work bike. That is untill the man yanks your fun ticket 'cause your having WAY too much fun!!!

I ride my DR650 as a commuter, supermoto are great everywhere but the highway

dirt, who cares

158-5886_IMG.jpg

J1.jpg

If you watch supermoto races, you'll see that dirt is not a problem. Mud however is. Basically, any hard packed trails, fire roads, and gravel...you are good to go as seen in those pictures (RJB269- nice pics BTW :thumbsup: ). Supermoto bikes versatility will surprise you--happily :thumbsup:

Riding a SM bike on hard packed dirt is ok with slicks or sportbike tires. You still have some traction, just be careful and use the rear brake instead of the front. Mud is different story.

Most supermoto race tracks are 80% pavement with a small dirt/jump section.

Riding a SM bike on hard packed dirt is ok with slicks or sportbike tires. You still have some traction, just be careful and use the rear brake instead of the front. Mud is different story.

Most supermoto race tracks are 80% pavement with a small dirt/jump section.

Supertireguy has never ridden his awsome bike in the dirt, but that is understandable. His Berg 650 is a beast to keep in line even when there is traction!! :thumbsup:

Supertireguy has never ridden his awsome bike in the dirt, but that is understandable. His Berg 650 is a beast to keep in line even when there is traction!! :thumbsup:
Do you think there'll be a dirt section in Stockton on the 5th?

Do you think there'll be a dirt section in Stockton on the 5th?

It's up to Matt.