• 3 weeks later...

Went with the irc ve35 front tire, pro com rev box, have the race tech emulators (installed back when these and the helbo mod were the only things around) already uncorked and jetted with the 03-05 needle. Thinking I'll leave the motor alone for now, just gonna get the shock revalved and see if I even need anymore power. Real happy with the bike except the front tire always wanted to wash out in the corners, and the suspension. The forks got a hundred times better with the RT emulators, but the rear just bucks. I just modified a pair crf150r ims foot pegs for it, which look close to stock height, but I went from 2" risers to rox pivot risers, do thinking it will even out with the offset if they're s smudge taller.

...thinking I'll leave the motor alone for now, just gonna get the shock revalved and see if I even need anymore power...

...I just modified a pair crf150r ims foot pegs for it, which look close to stock height, but I went from 2" risers to rox pivot risers, do thinking it will even out with the offset if they're s smudge taller.

Fyi, I took the spring off the stock crf shock and moved the back tire thru the entire susp travel range and the shock bottoms about 4" shy of hitting the fender. With the cr85 shock I get to use about 3" of that extra travel, and I'm guessing you'll gain close to the same with a Hagon or Fox shock. Just food for thought before you spend money on that stock shock. 3"-4" rear wheel travel increase is a huge opportunity for improvement, and seat high and steering are unchanged.

The cr85 shock needs bottom clevis shortened simply by redrilling the hole 5/8 shorter to match stock shock length. If you wanna sharpen the steering, steepen fork angle, you could try drilling that hole 3/8 or 5/16 and raise the rear end. I went 1/2" so about 1/8" longer than stock. Kill two birds with one stone. Test for interference before drilling.

What'd it take to make the IMS pegs fit? Something I've always wanted to upgrade but crummy aftermarket selection.

I ground off the extra metal piece that comes down and goes under the 150r mount, and ground off some of the width so it would slide in the 230 mounts. Used the 230 pin, but 150r springs. Springs a little big, but they function well. I have an extra set of ims pegs for a kx250 laying around that look almost identical to the 150r ones. So you could really use what ever you can find that's similar. The part that you need to grind off looks like a peg stop almost, but it isn't on the 230 pegs, so it's really not needed. I can take better pictures if you'd like.

The picture shows them laying on a flat surface, when mounted they sit at the same angle on the bike. You can see the extra metal tab part I'm referring to on the bottom of the ims peg.image.jpeg

Edited by pyrofreak
  • Like 1

I didn't do a comparison measurement, but they looked very close when I held them up to the mount, maybe a couple mm taller on the ims. But much wider and will grip much better. I got em for $15 on ebay, so I figured I wouldn't be out much anyway. But they work well. And I bought a stock shock with a bbr spring, which I'll send to Bruce Triplett once I give him a call. I'd have to do the same with a cr85 shock, plus probably buy different a different spring, and then modify the air box from what I understand. I figure when I'm ready for more, I'll get the Hagon and do the 150r forks. These bikes are great with a few mods ?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

...And I bought a stock shock with a bbr spring, which I'll send to Bruce Triplett once I give him a call. I'd have to do the same with a cr85 shock, plus probably buy different a different spring, and then modify the air box from what I understand. I figure when I'm ready for more, I'll get the Hagon and do the 150r forks. These bikes are great with a few mods ?

I see your point since you already have a spare shock, however, that bbr spring is a beast, guys have said. Not many good spring options out there, I had to have one made by Cannon/Racecraft for my 150f. For my 230f I'm running an XR350 shock with extended resi hose - it's got comp/rebound adj but that Fox shock is the sh#t. I did the crf85 USD fork swap, kinda forces you to do something about the shock.

• 2 weeks later...

Confederate, where did you find the engine plugs? I bought an oil fill plug, but there's no dipstick, so I'm probably not going to use it, but I like the extra shiny stuff. And I'm almost done with my bike, it's pretty similar to yours. I love those particular day star fork boots ? Wish someone made a retro Honda graphics kit for the 230s. I've been piecing it together to get the 80s Honda look.