On 4/23/2017 at 0:46 AM, Dirt Racer said:

I picked up this 06 230F a month or so back and it went straight under the knife. After initial tune with valve adjustment, mods include, billet triple clamps, stiffer springs, CR Hi bars, 13/51 sprockets with gold chain, all white plastic, front fender, rear fender and side number plates are 2017, ano red folding levers, red ano brake resi cap, red ano timing caps, full exhaust, CRF's Only jet kit with custom fuel screw, 135/48, spark screen cut out of airbox, removed snorkel insert, UNI foam filter and probably a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. Bike is crisp and a blast to ride, starts easy and idles like a champ, no problem pulling the front wheel up in third. Next will be a heavy duty skid plate and maybe some hand guards.

Do yourself a GREAT BIG favor and ditch that 135 main for a 120 main.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

Do yourself a BIG favor and ditch that 135 man for a 120 main.

It came with the CRF's only jet kit, kit included, needle, needle seat that is pressed into the carb by way of removing the main and main shaft stem, of course after the old seat is pressed out, 132 and 135 main, with a 45 pilot and addition of custom fuel screw. I upped to a 48 on the pilot for ease of starting and fuel screw setting is exactly where I want it to be for year round adjustment. Clip is 4th down on the needle, pulls hard. Bike runs amazing and is literally one of the best running bikes I have ever re-jetted and dialed in. The 135 would never work with the stock needle or needle seat.

Edited by Dirt Racer

10 minutes ago, Dirt Racer said:

It came with the CRF's only jet kit, kit included, needle, needle seat that is pressed into the carb by way of removing the main and main shaft stem, of course after the old seat is pressed out, 132 and 135 main, with a 45 pilot and addition of custom fuel screw. I upped to a 48 on the pilot for ease of starting and fuel screw setting is exactly where I want it to be for year round adjustment. Clip is 4th down on the needle, pulls hard. Bike runs amazing and is literally one of the best running bikes I have ever re-jetted and dialed in. The 135 would never work with the stock needle or needle seat.

Keihin PD needle jets are identical and interchangeable so no need to press out old needle jet.  Mike Coe did a bunch of dyno work conforming 120 main was still slightly rich with either needle.

An XR250 with 30mm PD needs a 135 main so there is no way a CRF230 with 26mm PD needs a 135 main.  I tried both back in 2010 and the top end was flat with a 135 main but came alive with a 120 main.  Frank Nye recommends 110 main with PoweRing or Outlaw system.

Many in here started with 135 main and just about everybody now uses 120 or smaller.

Edited by VortecCPI

1 minute ago, VortecCPI said:

Keihin PD needle jets are identical and interchangeable.  Mike Coe did a bunch of dyno work conforming 120 main was still slightly rich with either needle.

An XR250 with 30mm PD needs a 135 main so there is no way a CRF230 with 26mm PD needs a 135 main.  I tried both back in 2010 and the top end was flat with a 135 main but came alive with a 120 main.  Frank Nye recommends 110 main with PoweRing or Outlaw system.

Not sure what needle and seat was sent in the kit but, the taper on the stock needle is a lot more narrowly tapered to allow more fuel with a smaller main jet, that changes the whole dynamic of fuel delivery in the carb. The needle and needle seat I received in the CRF's Only kit both came in OEM Honda part numbered sealed bags, wish I would have kept the part numbers for reference. My last CRF230 I owned, I used the Dyno Jet Jet kit and just upped the pilot, that kit just came with a needle and main, it ran quite well but it did not runs as crisp and linear pull wasn't anything like it is on this bike. I just sold a great running XR250 that I had also jetted and piped, I honestly feel like this 230 could pull away from that bike in every gear.

5 minutes ago, Dirt Racer said:

Not sure what needle and seat was sent in the kit but, the taper on the stock needle is a lot more narrowly tapered to allow more fuel with a smaller main jet, that changes the whole dynamic of fuel delivery in the carb. The needle and needle seat I received in the CRF's Only kit both came in OEM Honda part numbered sealed bags, wish I would have kept the part numbers for reference. My last CRF230 I owned, I used the Dyno Jet Jet kit and just upped the pilot, that kit just came with a needle and main, it ran quite well but it did not runs as crisp and linear pull wasn't anything like it is on this bike. I just sold a great running XR250 that I had also jetted and piped, I honestly feel like this 230 could pull away from that bike in every gear.

Mike Coe has measured and done calculations on the needles and needle jets.  Nobody here really likes the "Full Power" needle very much.  I tried it and ditched it for a stock needle.

Agreed 100% on CRF230 vs. XR250.  We had two late-model XR250s for a while and in slow short tight stuff CRF230 will walk away from them.  My CRF230 was slightly faster than my buddy's XR250 on the dirt dragstrip but he did weigh a bit more, as does the XR250.

CRF230 is better for slow short tight stuff and XR250 is better for fast long open stuff.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dirt Racer said:

My last CRF230 I owned, I used the Dyno Jet Jet kit and just upped the pilot, that kit just came with a needle and main, it ran quite well but it did not runs as crisp and linear pull wasn't anything like it is on this bike. I just sold a great running XR250 that I had also jetted and piped, I honestly feel like this 230 could pull away from that bike in every gear.

I bought my CRF230 brand new in 2009 and could not believe how weak it was.  Nothing like a good old XR200.  After uncorking it and jetting it I could not believe how strong it was.  I love how much torque this engine makes way down low.  It just makes most riding very fun and easy.

Now with cam and piston and EO exhaust it makes even more power down low and everywhere else.  Wonderful engine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VortecCPI said:

Mike Coe has measured and done calculations on the needles and needle jets.  Nobody here really likes the "Full Power" needle very much.  I tried it and ditched it for a stock needle.

Agreed 100% on CRF230 vs. XR250.  We had two late-model XR250s for a while and in slow short tight stuff CRF230 will walk away from them.  My CRF230 was slightly faster than my buddy's XR250 on the dirt dragstrip but he did weigh a bit more, as does the XR250.

I've done a plug chop, several actually to make sure all was consistent and a nice bronze color on the plug. There's not even any soot on the inside of the exhaust tip cap of a brand new exhaust after nearly two full days ride. As she sits, starts easily and idles great especially how this carb, when the idle is adjusted higher, returns to a low idle very slowly if the jetting is off. I made adjustments to the fuel screw yesterday as it was high 80's here with high humidity, of course at warmed up operating motor temp, turned it in a quarter turn and she crispened right up. Getting ready to load up now to go out for a days riding. Super fun bike. ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dirt Racer said:

I've done a plug chop, several actually to make sure all was consistent and a nice bronze color on the plug. There's not even any soot on the inside of the exhaust tip cap of a brand new exhaust after nearly two full days ride. As she sits, starts easily and idles great especially how this carb, when the idle is adjusted higher, returns to a low idle very slowly if the jetting is off. I made adjustments to the fuel screw yesterday as it was high 80's here with high humidity, of course at warmed up operating motor temp, turned it in a quarter turn and she crispened right up. Getting ready to load up now to go out for a days riding. Super fun bike. ?

Nice yo hear you have it all sorted out.  Where are you in NC?  Have you been to Brushy Mountain or Carolina Adventure World?

• Like 1

Just now, VortecCPI said:

Nice yo hear you have it all sorted out.  Where are you in NC?  Have you been to Brushy Mountain or Carolina Adventure World?

Thanks man, I'm over in Jacksonville over by the coast. The main place I ride is Busco Beach, about an hour and a half from where I live, lots of good riding there, place is huge. I've ridden a few mx tracks here that are near by but as you know the ole 230 doesn't really excel in that area.:cripple: I used to always ride trails back in Beaufort here in NC behind where I grew up at, several hundred acres of woods until they recently sold it off. I've always loved some good fast trail riding and the 230 does great for that.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there, here is my CRF230F project complete. Mods as follows:
- XR250R 41mm cartridge forks with triples (96-04)
- Rebuilt/re valved rear shock by MotoSR (NZ equivalent of Hlebo in the US) 150F rocker linkage
- Full pro circuit T4 exhaust system
- Uncorked with 122 main, UNI air filter
- Off set bar risers with Jimmy Button tall Renthal bars. Ego barkbusters.
- Tall seat with gripper cover by DR Trim
- DRC wide footpegs and XR400 side stand

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

• Like 4

Hey is anybody familiar with the wiring on a 2006 Honda crf150f? I have one without a battery/electric start and I was just wondering if I could put a simple headlight and taillight on so I could ride at night. Everything on my bike is stock, except for some really hardcore motocross tries I use to rip up anywhere I ride. If this is possible please let me know and also if anybody knows any lights that would work for it please let me know. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 8:12 AM, Dirt Racer said:

I would just like to take a moment and point out to you that you are way off base on everything you are talking about..

From a 230 with a pipe and jet kit easily doing 3rd gear power wheelies...

To the comparison of the 230 pulling away from a correct setup xr250...

To your understanding of jetting and the interplay between jets...

You have another person already interested in helping you out and explaining some very well known jetting and tuning details to you... But you aren't having any of that!! Lol..

Just think though...  If Vortec is actually on to something with his jetting advice... You could potentially be ripping 4th gear wheelies and pulling away from 450s instead of 250s!!?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mixxer said:

Okay...  Here we go...
We had two CRF230s and two late-model XR250s in our shop for a long time.  All had good tires and all were uncorked and properly jetted and the two CRF230s had mild suspension work.

The CRF230 engines have very strong low, very good mid, and weakish top.  The XR250 engines have weakish low, very strong mid, and good top.

For slow short tight work the CRF230s will walk away from the XR250s.  For fast long open work the XR250s will run away from the CRF230s.

The bikes are very different because the chassis and engines are very different.

We chose CRF230 because most of our work is slow short tight.

No one bike does it all just right -- Always a compromise...

Edited by VortecCPI

I know... I have owned and seriously built a pair of the xr250s.... 

And built a few 230s for friends and now one for myself...

Mod for mod , the 4 valve setup of the 250 has the advantage...

I love my little bunny foo foo 230 to death... But stock or close to stock, the 230 is truly one of the lamest bikes I could imagine swinging a leg over.... I don't know if I would call it a low end biased engine or rather a distinct lack of power everywhere else engine... It only has a bit of bottom end stock...and a heavyweight crank and flywheel assembly that would make a manhole cover jealous...lol

But... Mod for mod... If you are going to do it to the 230...and you do it to the 4 valve 250.... 250 responds better... In my experience...

3rd gear "no problem" wheelies on a pipe and jet 230.... Not a chance...

Edited by mixxer

2 hours ago, mixxer said:

I would just like to take a moment and point out to you that you are way off base on everything you are talking about..

From a 230 with a pipe and jet kit easily doing 3rd gear power wheelies...

To your understanding of jetting and the interplay between jets...

You have another person already interested in helping you out and explaining some very well known jetting and tuning details to you... But you aren't having any of that!! Lol..

Just think though...  If Vortec is actually on to something with his jetting advice... You could potentially be ripping 4th gear wheelies and pulling away from 450s instead of 250s!!?

Well mixxer, maybe you should contact CRF's only and let them know their kit is way off, don't forget to mention how my bike runs amazing with it installed though ... and thanks for trying to make me look like a Fn idiot ? I see respect is not your strong suit ...

On 4/23/2017 at 0:46 AM, Dirt Racer said:

no problem pulling the front wheel up in third. 

What is your gearing??

6 hours ago, mixxer said:

3rd gear "no problem" wheelies on a pipe and jet 230.... Not a chance...

How much a$$ is on the rear fender, and how steep is the hill??

Edited by NEODS