Santa dropped this off with me.  Mostly to ride with my son on his 50.  It’s bone stock and fun but I don’t know how long I can leave it that way.  I have actually enjoyed owning something brand new and not having to turn a wrench on it.  Coming from a dragracing past that’s pretty unusual.

E631DF09-BCA0-4235-A078-3DD8D18B4D15.jpeg

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, smokedoff said:

Santa dropped this off with me.  Mostly to ride with my son on his 50.  It’s bone stock and fun but I don’t know how long I can leave it that way.  I have actually enjoyed owning something brand new and not having to turn a wrench on it.  Coming from a dragracing past that’s pretty unusual.

E631DF09-BCA0-4235-A078-3DD8D18B4D15.jpeg

Welcome to ThumperTalk and congrats on one of the funnest and most underrated bikes Honda has ever offered to the public besides XR200R.  There is something addictive and attractive about this old-school bike if you are a wrench-turner and racer.

When that awful stock suspension begins to scare the sense out of you (and it will, along with the tires) call Bruce Triplett for help.  He has helped many of us here in TT and he is THE MAN when it comes to our bikes.  The forks are bad but the shock is downright dangerous.  It bucks and swaps sides like crazy as well as being just plain uncomfortable.

Never be afraid to ask questions in this forum!  If it can and should (and sometimes should NOT) be done we have likely done it in here!

Bruce's Suspension Service
350 Skysail Road
Salisbury, NC 28146
(704) 637-3675

brucetriplett@bellsouth.net

http://www.brucessuspension.net

Edited by VortecCPI

3 minutes ago, smokedoff said:

Thanks, glad to be here!

When I bought mine after a decade+ hiatus I thought I might have made a mistake but I am happy to say with a little work this little bike has exceeded all my expectations.

So we bought my son a ttr50 for Christmas, and my wife surprised me with the 150.  I had no idea.  To be honest, I thought if you rode a dirtbike it had to be a 2 stroke 125 or 250. Lol.  But after riding it and reading up on it,  I think it is the perfect fit for this season in life.  I’m also pretty short, 5’6/7” or so, sonputting around teaching my son how to ride is easy on a bike that’s not too tall.

Like I said, i think it’s perfect for right now!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 6:58 PM, smokedoff said:

So we bought my son a ttr50 for Christmas, and my wife surprised me with the 150.  I had no idea.  To be honest, I thought if you rode a dirtbike it had to be a 2 stroke 125 or 250. Lol.  But after riding it and reading up on it,  I think it is the perfect fit for this season in life.  I’m also pretty short, 5’6/7” or so, sonputting around teaching my son how to ride is easy on a bike that’s not too tall.

Like I said, i think it’s perfect for right now!

We had a CRF150 for quite some time and it was a very fun bike.  Smaller wheels make the ride a little rough compared to CRF230.

• Like 1

We had a CRF150 for quite some time and it was a very fun bike.  Smaller wheels make the ride a little rough compared to CRF230.

Yes, I agree, very surprising on just how much better a 150 will ride and handle with a set of 230 wheels on them.
Night and day.
  • Like 3

You are a sick, sick individual. And I like it. My 04 looks similar. 2017 tank, shrouds, plastics and even same graphics kit. I gotta know some of the details...

1. Did you build the wheels or buy them? Are they 21/18 and are they 2.85 and 1.85 or whatever? Where'd you get them? I want black wheels/red hubs, red nipples, black spokes!

2. What front end is on there? Bolt on or lots of mod? 250x?

3. I assume you had the rear hub powdercoated red? or is it anodized?

4. What header are you running on there?

Absolutely love the build. Really nice job!!!!

Here's a pic of mine, before a few extras put on, and the list of goodies I've done so far:

• 2017 gas tank, shrouds, front fender, side panels, rear fender, seat cover (Throttle Jockey)
  • Flu Designs graphics kit
  • Baja Designs street legal kit
  • DoubleTake mirror
  • ProTaper handlebars
  • TrailTech computer
  • K&N air filter
  • Battery Tender pigtail for trickle charger
  • NGK Iridium Sparkplug DPR8EIX-9
  • Enduro Engineering hand guards
  • Zeta red anodized front brake guide clamp
  • Maier black front disc/fork guard
  • Red fork boots
  • Rev CDI box
  • JBS black oversized foot pegs
  • BBR Motorsports heavy duty shock spring
  • New rear OEM shock
  • Red anodized rim locks
  • Red anodized chain adjusters (aka snails)
  • Black spoke wraps
  • Black/red rim protectors/decals

20180106_235008_resized.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder how good they look after running them through mud and creeks, over,into,around rocks and trees. Through ruts lined with rocks, sand, mud deep enough to hold the bike up with out you and narrow enough to barley keep your feet on the pegs.  Or are these just used for around town and an occasional dirt road? 

The frames above the pegs looks like they've never seen any abrasive terrain. 

Edited by NEODS
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NEODS said:

I wonder how good they look after running them through mud and creeks, over,into,around rocks and trees. Through ruts lined with rocks, sand, mud deep enough to hold the bike up with out you and narrow enough to barley keep your feet on the pegs.  Or are these just used for around town and an occasional dirt road? 

I can assure you I put mine thru the paces. I primarily ride my KTM 500 XCW that is plated. I bought the 230 for my soon-to-be stepson who just turned 16. In the short time we've had the 230, it's seen it's share of decent offroadedness. The two days after Christmas, we rode Hidden Falls Adventure Park, which is 10,000 acres of single track, two track, rock climbs for buggies, etc. Lots of rocky climbs, and the 230 was on the ground about a half dozen times. Took it like a champ. The boy can keep up pretty well on the 230. I'm no pro and not fast, but raced MX until about 10 years ago, locally. Did a couple of TORCS races as well (Tx Offroad Racing Series). So again, you insinuate because the bikes look fresh and clean that they are not ridden, which is not the case, at least for me. I simply choose to clean my bikes after riding, and take care of my stuff. 

Here's the only pic from the days after Christmas, which was prior to the plastics surgery...

20171227_111049_resized.jpg

Edited by 3girlsdad
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, 3girlsdad said:

I can assure you I put mine thru the paces. I primarily ride my KTM 500 XCW that is plated. I bought the 230 for my soon-to-be stepson who just turned 16. In the short time we've had the 230, it's seen it's share of decent offroadedness. The two days after Christmas, we rode Hidden Falls Adventure Park, which is 10,000 acres of single track, two track, rock climbs for buggies, etc. Lots of rocky climbs, and the 230 was on the ground about a half dozen times. Took it like a champ. The boy can keep up pretty well on the 230. I'm no pro and not fast, but raced MX until about 10 years ago, locally. Did a couple of TORCS races as well (Tx Offroad Racing Series). So again, you insinuate because the bikes look fresh and clean that they are not ridden, which is not the case, at least for me.

Have Bruce Triplett take care of that suspension and you will be truly amazed...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

Have Bruce Triplett take care of that suspension and you will be truly amazed...

Thanks for the tip. Just looked at his web site. Much appreciated.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 3girlsdad said:

I can assure you I put mine thru the paces. I primarily ride my KTM 500 XCW that is plated. I bought the 230 for my soon-to-be stepson who just turned 16. In the short time we've had the 230, it's seen it's share of decent offroadedness. The two days after Christmas, we rode Hidden Falls Adventure Park, which is 10,000 acres of single track, two track, rock climbs for buggies, etc. Lots of rocky climbs, and the 230 was on the ground about a half dozen times. Took it like a champ. The boy can keep up pretty well on the 230. I'm no pro and not fast, but raced MX until about 10 years ago, locally. Did a couple of TORCS races as well (Tx Offroad Racing Series). So again, you insinuate because the bikes look fresh and clean that they are not ridden, which is not the case, at least for me.

Just my observation based off of a couple of photographs.  I'm not one to throw pretty parts on a dirtbike, to each their own. I tuned 230f will give that 500 a run for the money in the woods, and at a 1/4 the price.  :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, 3girlsdad said:

Thanks for the tip. Just looked at his web site. Much appreciated.

You are very welcome.  Bruce is a suspension expert and quite a wizard.  I have been to his shop quite a few times and he is basically a Millwright.

He bought a CRF230 just so he could be sure he was giving us the best he could and he does.  His customer service is also exceptional.

I used to use Race Tech Cartridge Emulators in my forks but Bruce's forks are FAR superior for the riding we do.

He's a good man and will freely discuss options with you.

John Hlebo in San Jose (Hlebo Brothers Racing Suspension) can also do a good job with the stock shock but his forks are not even close to Bruce's.

• Like 1

Very nice bikes you guys!!!! Good work!!!

NEODS...Sadly mine will be used for town commuting, and light fire roads/trail riding only....Last year I had my 15th knee surgery leaving me w/ a full knee replacement, and since it was a revision on a partial knee replacement from a few years back they had to put even more hardware in there and honestly it's just not worth it for me to get too aggressive anymore...I had 45+ years of riding/racing and I'm going to say I'm fine w/ that. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have done all that stuff to it if it was going to be hammered every weekend anyway, as paint does get scratched & worn down and black tends to take more of a beating than other colors. Hopefully, I can keep it nice for a while.

3girlsdad...Thanks!! I've had a lot of fun building it up!!! The wheels are 19/16 and I  built them up myself. Front end was from a CR85, the hubs were powder coated and the spokes & nipples were nickel plated. The header is a "Big Gun" and I used the stock rear silencer because the big gun was way loud and I'm not looking to attract any unwanted attention!! I'm planning on taking it when I go camping so me & my wife can get to some primo fishing spots and maybe find some backcountry logging roads & single track...who knows 

• Like 3