Idaho Desert: Am I Missing Something?

Just moved to Idaho a few months ago and finally got to take my first local ride the other day. Went to the Fossil Creek trailhead to ride. But ... I was very disappointed. While there's lots of room out there and dirt roads here and there, I couldn't find a trail to save my life.

I'd been looking forward to the race in Oreana on the 26th but now I'm a little unsure. Are the SIDRA races mostly fire roads? Or did I just happen to go to a lame area?

?

By Fossil Creek do you mean Hagerman? Hagerman area is really open riding, fun to go mess around but about a 1 on technical riding. If you want technical trails to ride, wait for the snow to clear up and go to the South Hills or better yet the Sawtooths and ride that country. If you're still disappointed after riding in the Sawtooths, you need to find a new hobby. There are a ton of really fun trails around southern ID once the snow melts. If desert is your thing, Paradise might be a little more fun for you than Hagerman. It's been forever since I rode Paradise so I don't remember it all that well, but it was a mix of open stuff/gullies/hills etc. The trails down there are killer though, I really miss riding down there.

The Fossil Creek trailhead is right off Highway 78, about halfway between Murphy and Grandview.

I do like tree riding and I know once the snow melts there will be some great riding up in the mountains, but yes the desert is definitely more my thing. BUT, not easy, boring, fire road stuff. Hills, fast rolling trails, sandwashes, rocks, canyons, that sort of thing. Maybe I was just in the wrong spot.

Have you tried Rabbit or Hemingway yet. It's right off highway 78 too. The riding is much better. Sweet washes, whoops, hill climbs, and lots of trails to choose from. Any questions PM me. Hope this helps.

Not yet but hopefully this weekend if the weather holds. I do need some riding buddies if anyone wants to join me.

Hi ya'll. First post. I'm new to Boise and have been away from riding for five years. I used to ride a 1984 XR350R and 1990 XL600V both of which I sold before I joined the Army and moved to Germany.

Today I bought a 1999 XR600R complete with original tires. Unfortunately, I've put the cart before the horse and don't have a way to get the bike anywhere since I am pickup/trailerless.

I've been Jeeping in the desert south of Boise for a month or so now and saw lots of trails down by Grasmere and south of Marsing.

Anyway, I don't have a job and I am dying to get back in the saddle. Any time ya'll want to ride, I'll be there.

Steve ?

I'd very much recommend the Oreana race, it will be off the hook, 100 mph washes combined with technical trails and rocky sections as well. That club puts on a good race! Check out the local clubs like TVTMA.com for group rides or Sidraracing.com, OMCRacing.com, pleasantvalleycyclepark.com or whiteknuckleracing.org for racing activities. ?

Just moved to Idaho a few months ago and finally got to take my first local ride the other day. Went to the Fossil Creek trailhead to ride. But ... I was very disappointed. While there's lots of room out there and dirt roads here and there, I couldn't find a trail to save my life.

I'd been looking forward to the race in Oreana on the 26th but now I'm a little unsure. Are the SIDRA races mostly fire roads? Or did I just happen to go to a lame area?

?

I have ridden too much at Fossil Creek, but I know there is a lot of trails, washes, rocks, and fire roads at Rabbit Creek. As far as Oreana goes, it's the best area SIDRA races at IMO. ?

Thanks for all the info! I already joined TVTMA and I'm looking forward to the upcoming trail rides.

Good info on the Oreana race too, sounds like it'll be excellent. Now, whether or not my sorry out-of-shape ass will make 90 miles is another matter entirely.

Anyone up for a ride this weekend? I'll be at Hemmingway Trailhead at about 9am on Sunday. It's gonna be COLD!

Steve ?

Might be at Rabbit on Sat. or Sun. I think we'll ride a little later in the afternoon....give more time for the temperature to rise ?

It's going to be friggin' cold!!

Might be at Rabbit on Sat. or Sun. I think we'll ride a little later in the afternoon....give more time for the temperature to rise ?

It's going to be friggin' cold!!

Yeah, it's gonna be cold. I was thinking of getting there at noon on sunday. It was 15 or something last night.

Anyway, I have a black Jeep and a green snowmobile trailer. Maybe I'll see ya there!

Steve

Not yet but hopefully this weekend if the weather holds. I do need some riding buddies if anyone wants to join me.

I've ridden Rabbit's Creek the last 2 weekends before this past one (does that make sense?). Anyway, RC is a great place for riding this time of year. We we're the first people there both times (about 30F at 7:45 a.m.) and had to layer up pretty good but by 8:30, the riding was great.

This past weekend was just too cold...I can handle 30-35 but not 22 with a wind chill.

I want to ride this weekend if weather and work permits. I'll pm ya if I plan on going.

Mike

I've ridden Rabbit's Creek the last 2 weekends before this past one (does that make sense?). Anyway, RC is a great place for riding this time of year. We we're the first people there both times (about 30F at 7:45 a.m.) and had to layer up pretty good but by 8:30, the riding was great.

This past weekend was just too cold...I can handle 30-35 but not 22 with a wind chill.

I want to ride this weekend if weather and work permits. I'll pm ya if I plan on going.

Mike

Didn't ride either due to temps being too cold. 30 degrees is about my limit. Have ridden in the past when the temp was 17 degrees....won't do that again, talk about a miserable ride. This weekend sure looks warmer, hopefully we'll be able to get out and ride. Saturday is looking good so far....well according to the weather channel that is.