Sign in to follow this  

Te510 Oil Check?

I have had all three methods and like the check screw more than the others!!! The sight windows become scratched, glazed, and foggy. My XR dip stick I could never figure out how the bike should be positioned and couldn't trust it, so now I actually perfer the simple oil check screw. :thumbsup:
I can totally relate to the XR dip stick dilemma because of the in frame oil storage tank. I could become a believer in the check bolt method if more TT members used reason and logic instead of insults, I do have an open mind.

Originally Posted by EM_rider

There is no dipstick on a KTM either, only an oil sight glass near the right footpeg. IMHO it is not a reliable way to check the oil level because the readings are irregular to say the least. Go check out KTMtalk and you'll find many threads about this. And as noted, a good whack with a stick will break the glass and leave you stranded. KTMs are excellent bikes, but on this particular issue they have their shortcomings too. And on needing to helicoil something, I am batting 1000% so far. Every bike I've owned thus far has stripped threads somewhere that needed to be helicoiled. I'm a lousy mechanic and eventually, it happens........

I have seen some KTMs with a dip stick, I think it was a 2003 EXC450 but I have never seen one with a check bolt.

I would agree with you that the sight glass is not the greatest alternative but be honest with me and tell me that you would prefer a check bolt to a dip stick if you had a choice...

My 98 KTM 300 had a check bolt. (I think the check bolts are on the 2 strokes) My 2000 KTM 520 had a Dipstick and a Site Glass. My 2002 520 only a site glass.

They all will work.

The check bolt is easy to strip case threads. On the KTMs with the site glass you had to remember what the level was supposed to be when hot or cold.(Believe it or not I never happened to fall just right on a stick to break it).

I can't believe how strongly everyone here feels either way. It they come next year with a dipstick, site glass, screw hole and a periscope so be it.

They all will work.

The check bolt is easy to strip case threads. On the KTMs with the site glass you had to remember what the level was supposed to be when hot or cold.(Believe it or not I never happened to fall just right on a stick to break it).

I can't believe how strongly everyone here feels either way. It they come next year with a dipstick, site glass, screw hole and a periscope so be it.

Thanx for the laugh, I know I need to lighten up but it's really hard not to respond to people that make a case against a dip stick by saying "It could melt". I had to laugh because anyone that gets their bike hot enough to bake cookies is doing something seriously wrong.

When you asked if anyone would by an 06 with a weep hole or wait for an 07 with a sight tube or dipstick,,, you were kidding right??????? right? tell me you can't be serious about a question like that just because you want a dipstick??? , and you wonder why people respond with a answer that doesn't coincide with your feelings.. Give up on Husky, buy another brand,, I'm still waiting to get a 510 here in Canada. weep hole & all. Let someone who truly wants a world class bike have a chance at buying one, not a nit picking candyass,, A damn sight glass,,dipstick?????? give your head a shake,, what were you thinking??

When you asked if anyone would by an 06 with a weep hole or wait for an 07 with a sight tube or dipstick,,, you were kidding right??????? right? tell me you can't be serious about a question like that just because you want a dipstick??? , and you wonder why people respond with a answer that doesn't coincide with your feelings.. Give up on Husky, buy another brand,, I'm still waiting to get a 510 here in Canada. weep hole & all. Let someone who truly wants a world class bike have a chance at buying one, not a nit picking candyass,, A damn sight glass,,dipstick?????? give your head a shake,, what were you thinking??
Friggin newbe :thumbsup: I have been called much worse by much better people than you and it won't deter me from asking those uncomfortable questions that piss people like you off.

I will discover the truth about what bike will work best for me with or without your help. I could give a rats ass about buying your 510, If I want one I will buy one. :bonk:

I have finally started to feel comfortable with the idea of a weep hole no thanx to butt heads like you. :bonk:

The constructive positive replies by experienced Thumpertalk members with an open mind that understand new concepts can take some getting used to are what it takes to convince me. :thumbsup:

You asked the question once, that was fine, you got answer's, then you argue why?? other bikes have them & the Husky don't, you continue to beat the subject to death. If you want a dipstick that bad, complain to HUSKY USA,

BTW being a newbie on TT doesn't make me a newbie to Bikes, I started riding them in 79, I have plenty of experience with them, wrenching on bikes & cages,I just don't see the big deal on a weep hole being detrimental to a bike no matter what brand it is, as for my scathing reply, it was towards your idiotic question on how many people would hold off on buying an 06 & wait for the 07 because of a dipstick or sight tube :thumbsup:

Dont ask for a dip stick. I had a dipstick on a Yamaha that broke off and went through the transmission gears. The stick came out in 3 parts twisted like a pretzel. Thanks be to Allah,The bike still runs great. Just measure out the right amount of oil and change it frquently.

If you want a sight glass perhaps you could find a screw in sight glass from a different motorcycle, pop your righthand cover off and drill and tap a hole for your site glass.

For me this is a non-issue because my oil needs changing every 2-8 hours anyway (depending on if I'm riding on the track or the street) which doesn't provide enough time to use enough oil to need to add more.

If you want a sight glass perhaps you could find a screw in sight glass from a different motorcycle, pop your righthand cover off and drill and tap a hole for your site glass.

For me this is a non-issue because my oil needs changing every 2-8 hours anyway (depending on if I'm riding on the track or the street) which doesn't provide enough time to use enough oil to need to add more.

I can adapt and get used to a weep hole before I start hacking up my brand new engine. My problem is I just sold my XR400 and it could lose enough oil in a week to get me in trouble. It didn't smoke but maybe it leaked inside the frame reservoir or something. I would check that pig every ride and a weep hole would be more trouble than a dip stick on a daily basis.

My FZ6 Yamaha road bike has a dip stick and I use it to check the level at the time of my oil change. After the first oil change I drove it 4,000 miles and it didn't seem to loose a drop so I no longer worry about that bike. Once I get my Husky and break it in and change the oil I will check the weep hole before every ride. If it holds its fluids well till the next oil change it will be no big deal to have a weep hole.

I can deal with it if I have to but I still feel that if they put an electric start and a hydraulic clutch on the bike they can put the dip stick in the case as well. Both the E-starter and the hydro clutch weight more and can have more issues than a dip stick.

Once I get my Husky and break it in and change the oil I will check the weep hole before every ride. If it holds its fluids well till the next oil change it will be no big deal to have a weep hole.

It will, dont worry.

Enjoy your new bike. :thumbsup:

Break a sight glass dropping your bike, 8 miles up a sand wash, 15 miles north of anywhere and tell me how good a solution a hunk of glass stuck in your side case is.

Take a close look at the Husky cases. Where would you put a dipstick, that was even slightly accurate and consistent - and out of the way. No really! look at the case. Move this here, this here, add a bulge there and then drop the bike on that side and...

I find the check screw to be the Simplest Efficient System. Few parts, requires you to pay attention to what you are doing (don't give it an extra 1/4 turn, or just throw in the helicoil first thing) - but damn-near impossible to screw up when riding in the bush. Primative as all heck - and therefor really hard to break. After some thought I'll take primative, thank you.

This is interesting. There is an incredible amount of engineering that goes into Husky's so I would think there would be a reason for what they do - and this train of thought seems reasonable...

But I DO have a question - if the bolt is stripped and helicoiled - what are the chances of it stripping again?

Not trying to beat this to death but I would like to know.

I'm surprised this thread has gone the distance. One thing I have discovered is that Californians are very touchy when their words are questioned :thumbsup:

On the oil screw issue, I originally thought the oil screw method was a bit outdated too but after mis-reading sight glasses on KTM's for years, I find the Husky oil screw to be an accurate method to check oil level.

Between oil changes, my 510 doesn't use any oil.

My 01 520 had a dip stick pushed into the plastic oil fill plug. I too had it come loose and fall into the primary drive gear were it made a big mess. KTM decided to discontinue the dip stick from 01 onwards - surprisingly :thumbsup:

I am not touchy at all - just curious if a helicoil is stronger or weaker than non-helicoil...

I am not touchy at all - just curious if a helicoil is stronger or weaker than non-helicoil...

I was just having a dig at Yamahondaha - Just for fun :thumbsup:

I luv all Californians or where ever they come from.

From an Aircraft industry perspective, A Helicoiled thread is much stronger when soft metals are involved.

From an Aircraft industry perspective, A Helicoiled thread is much stronger when soft metals are involved.

I've heard the same.... they are stronger.

I just bought 2 Huskies.

'04 TE250 and a

'05 TE450

I am looking into engine oils. the manuals call for a 5w-40 (250) and a 10w-60 (450). can I use the same weight of oil for each bike??? or should i follow the manual?

I just bought 2 Huskies.

'04 TE250 and a

'05 TE450

I am looking into engine oils. the manuals call for a 5w-40 (250) and a 10w-60 (450). can I use the same weight of oil for each bike??? or should i follow the manual?

I have been using Bel-Ray 10W-40 in my 06 TE-450. Not the synthetic kind but the regular oil. I will probably change it to semi-synthetic next oil change. The 10W-60 in the owners manual is a 100% synthetic oil. I have read to use synthetic if you are racing the bike. For trail riding the other oils will work just fine as long as you change regularly.

You have got to admit that this is not up to current industry standards and putting a dip stick is not going to add more than an oz. of weight or $1 more cost to produce. Is this how the husky's of the past are done? Is this an improvement over past design? :thumbsup:

why would you check the oil? you should be changing it after a couple rides anyway. i have a sight glass on my street bike and my old klx, but to be honest, i only ever check it when i fill it. then i ride it a few times. then i change it.

I found out that to check the oil on the 06 TE510 you need to unscrew a bolt on the left side case and lean the bike over till oil comes out . Is there an after market product available for site tube or thumb screw to check the oil? All my bikes have had much easier access to check oil level like a dip stick or window. To those who own the 06 TE510 is the oil check a bummer or what? Would you have bought the 610 instead to have that sight glass on the case? My 510 is on the way but I can get the 610 instead, should I? :thumbsup:

Here's a tip:

If you tighten the "Check Bolt" with a Nut Driver (8mm), especially the kind with a hard Plastic Handle, I'm pretty sure you would be hard pressed to over tighten it.

AND..................

IF by some chance you LOSE the "Check Bolt", the bolt for the Rear Master Cylinder Reservoir is the shortest Bolt nearby that would likely make a nice replacement.

CB

Tank shroud bolts are shorter and not a critical bolt. If your worried about not tightning enough put some silicone seal around the bolt to case if it comes loose it wont fall out,same with all lightly tightened bolts, around outside of drain plug, lower filter cap screws also. Use it on tank shroud screws just a little silicon sealant on the threads any screw that goes into a brass insert thread or where loctite should NOT be used. Hope this helps Later George