Sign in to follow this  

Powering down a KX??

Can anyone tell me how to limit the trottle on a KX 100? A new bike for wife that I would like to keep off the pipe as much as possible. I understand that the flywheel weights and less teeth upfront are good ways to tame the hit but I would like to avoid as much of the hit as possible during her first outings. Is there a way to limit the trottle to keep it off the pipe and if so how does one do this mod?

Cheers

My recommendation would be just to teach her not to gas it hard... other wise she might get used to having the limiter on there... Also, if she tries to climb any hills, she will need to be using the powerband...... good luck!

You will probably get more out of the flywheel weight as far as "taming" it down. The bigger fron/or smaller rear will help also and be less expensive,but the "hit" is still gonna be there,just further into the throttle. You could retard the timing one mark ??

I had a similar issue a few months ago. My 10 YO son went from a xr 100 to a KX 85. The kx had a pretty big mid power hit - at least for someone not used to riding a 2 stroke. After playing with dif. things to mellow it out I reallied what you need to do is in prove the bottom end so there isn't such a big dif. between the bottom and the mid - at the hit.

This is what worked GREAT for us - granted I did all these at once - after MUCH searching dif. forums.

He rides both off-road and some track so we tuned it more for off road but is still works great on the track - for him.

10 oz FWW - Steahly

Moose torque spacer - goes in between the carb and cylinder

Added 3 teeth to the rear sprocket - to my surprise (after trying 3 dif sprocket set ups) adding more to the rear (lowering the gearing) helped a lot. I was thinking it was just going to add to the hit but we needed lower gearing for off road. What the lower gearing did was squish the power band closer together ..........making the low end closer to the mid hit - with the added FWW slowing the revs some into the mid - the bike is VERY controllable and with some clutch action you can still spool the motor into the power band and fly!!!!!

My son REFUSES to get back on his XR :thumbsup:

good luck

dp

Just wanted to give an update: I got the throttle stop to work great. Refer to the link above for the "rest of the story". :thumbsup:

I had the same concerns with my wife on her KX100. I was going to try all the above for her but then she said just let me try it like it is first and see what happens. So I schooled her on it some and it only took her a few minutes to learn where it comes on at and now she is totally fine with it. She loves it. I do want to gear it down a touch because we only trail ride but other than that, she loves hers as is.

Just a little schooling did the trick in my case.

Check it out.Take and cut a small piece of fuel line put it over the throttle cable between the slide and the top of the cap.Instant Governor.

pretty much covered but like suggested, larger rear sprocket and flywheel weights will help allot

I bought a used kx100 for my kids ... heavier flywheel ... two stage reeds ... helped the situation ... It's tough to make a high strung small bore 2 stroke race bike into a good trail bike ... unless you are a real aggressive rider ...

My suggestion is to trade it on a ttr125 ... you even get to pick the wheel size and electric start feature ... Believe me ... your wife will love you for it ... you ... will even enjoy riding it

Mission Accomplished!! :thumbsup:

12oz fww and throttle stop with a hotter plug and the bike is super manageable. Plenty of torque down low for her without ever getting on pipe. Today she did 36 miles of trails, stalled more than a few times at first, had one or two little :bonk: , but she soon got the hang of the new 'modulated' powerband and had and absolute blast! :bonk:

On the way home she even told me to place an ad for her 'old' DRZ125 :thumbsup: Yes Dear!

Big thanks to all for your help :bonk:

Mission Accomplished!! :thumbsup:

12oz fww and throttle stop with a hotter plug and the bike is super manageable. Plenty of torque down low for her without ever getting on pipe. Today she did 36 miles of trails, stalled more than a few times at first, had one or two little :eek: , but she soon got the hang of the new 'modulated' powerband and had and absulute blast! :bonk:

On the way home she even told me to place an ad for her 'old' DRZ125 :thumbsup: Yes Dear!

Big thanks to all for your help :bonk:

Excellent :bonk:

My suggestion is to trade it on a ttr125 ... you even get to pick the wheel size and electric start feature ... Believe me ... your wife will love you for it ... you ... will even enjoy riding it

Been covered before in other threads: The electric start is a nice feature, but the poor suspension, rear drum brake and 30+ pound extra weight penalty is just not worth it in my humble opinion. It is far easier and cheaper to tame the KX100, than attempt to fix the problems with any 125/150cc four stroke.

Been covered before in other threads: The electric start is a nice feature, but the poor suspension, rear drum brake and 30+ pound extra weight penalty is just not worth it in my humble opinion. It is far easier and cheaper to tame the KX100, than attempt to fix the problems with any 125 four stroke.

A great bike the TTR is and I looked hard at one for some time. there are loads of "TTR125 barely ridden, wife's bikes, as new, $1500-$1800" in the local papers here. Almost a no loss proposition but...no amount of money will ever get a ttr125 close to the KX package. Wife had DRZ 125, similar to ttr minus E button. She commented that on the DRZ she was more along for the ride (mass in motion) than enjoying the MTB handling she has now. A cliche it might be but she now is exploring routes that she never would follow me on before. That, in my book, makes this the right bike for her. She even wants to decorate the damn thing with stickers and what not

A great bike the TTR is and I looked hard at one for some time. there are loads of "TTR125 barely ridden, wife's bikes, as new, $1500-$1800" in the local papers here. Almost a no loss proposition but...no amount of money will ever get a ttr125 close to the KX package. Wife had DRZ 125, similar to ttr minus E button. She commented that on the DRZ she was more along for the ride (mass in motion) than enjoying the MTB handling she has now. A cliche it might be but she now is exploring routes that she never would follow me on before. That, in my book, makes this the right bike for her. She even wants to decorate the damn thing with stickers and what not

Sorted 1, you hit the nail on the head. The KX100 is feels light like a mountain bike with a (incredible) motor, except that it has absolutely brilliant suspention. You'll have to post pix after the wife gets done decorating it. :thumbsup: I'm sure my wife will be doing the same :bonk:, I'll just be thrilled to have her riding with me no matter what the bike ends up looking like :thumbsup:

Here the new smile:

56968541-L.jpg

and the old:

56976018-L.jpg

I'd still like to find her a sidestand for this bike, any suggestions?

That's a smile of enjoyment! :thumbsup: Do a search on "KX100 kickstand" for my username. I've been exploring that too. I'm hoping to find a clamp on that works. Ongoing.