$787 !!! for machine work ????

I just went to the machine shop with a drawing of the 3 pieces needed for the hooligan mod. (puting gs500 wheels on S) They want almost $800 for the work and 6-8 weeks for delivery time! What a crock. There has got to be an easier way to convert these wheels to the DRZ. Does anyone have any pointers, or know of a machinist that will do it for cheaper? I really want a set of street wheels. I already have the gs wheels and tires.

You see all that equipment in that shop and the skill to run it? ? It does not come cheap... :bonk: that price does sound pretty high though. :bonk: Check with other machine shops. Do you have a drill press and a chop saw? How about a welder, torch and plasma cutter? I'm 200 miles from a shop I trust so I end up doing my own work most of the time. It is sometimes possible to buy apropriately sized round-stock and make your own spacers. Good luck ?

I just talked to my friends dad who is a machinist. I am going to send him the specs and he will make them. If anyone else is interested in having this mod done, pm me and if there are 10 or 15 people who want to do this, he says he will actually start to produce them.

I wish I could find some 17" off a GS500. I know a couple of machinists and they always like doing this kind of thing. I think the price you received is about $450.00 to $600.00 to much, unless you are designing something really wierd. If your drawings are exact and are easy to understand, it shouldn't be that expensive. But, it really depends upon how busy each tooling shop is. Look for a little shop and you will probably get better prices and better work.

Gentlemen DO NOT machine the rear brake carrier.

Buy an RM125 / RM250 rear carrier (for 240mm disk). With Nates able guidance from 00 to 05 or 06 the carriers work, the 00 and 01 are slightly different than later models, but they work fine. Then buy an o/s disk for the DRZ rim. I got a spare caliper out of the deal.

Also if you are using GS rims the dimensions provided by Russ S are going to be out a little bit he used GSXR 750 rims. There will be differences mine are 3.5 rear and 3.0 front, his were 4.0 and 3.5. I am not sure what the differences are yet but don't just drop it at a machinist. I am concerned because the GSXR hub spacer is 0.5" longer than the GS so I think the hub is wider. that means his front rotor setup may not work. Plus a quick check of his rear spacers his seem smaller than what I need. It is different again though using the RM carrier.

Next up have you ordered bearings and spacers yet? GS bearings and spacers are 15mm you need 20mm

front

2 of were 15x42x13 need 20x42x13 p/n 6004-2RS-1

Rear

2 of For GSX600 (should be same for GS) 20x47x14 6204-2RS-1

1 of For GSX600 (should be same for GS) 25x62x17 6305-2RS

Spacer GSXR 750 (hub bearing)

1 OF spacer front 20.8x27 09180-20103 (trim to fit)

1 of spacer rear 20.8X27 09180-20104 (trim to fit)

1 of retainer rear 64733-27A00 (okay as is)

Mine aren't done yet (no time or money, come on tax refund ? ). 6 to 8 weeks depending on other projects. My goal is to avoid machining if possible.

Russ S did a bang up job and he got me started as well. You just need to be careful you have the right mix and match of parts! Ron Ayers parts fiches is an awesome resource.

Onward with the Franken wheeled Hooligan Bikes! :bonk::bonk::bonk::eek:?:eek:

One of the guys I went to school with, rich kid, but alright. Was into bikes and go karts. His Dad lent him and his brother (also a Mech Engineer) enough for a good CNC lathe and a CNC milling machine. They make custom Kart parts and CNC bike bits. They had good equipment and they hired a couple operators and now also do special quick turn oilfield work. Make a bloody fortune.

Too bad my old man couldn't have fronted me $750K to make Kart parts. ?