Sign in to follow this  

Husky goes to Dakar '07!

good luck to you Mike, really hope you get the parts you need to continue.

A big thanx to all of those trying to help.I really, really want the Whole Husky team to do well. It sux when a small problem can cause a domino effect. (damn twigs)

Hello AJSB,

thanks for the email. We are so glad that you have crazy sleeping habits, makes for great men.

ok, well the latest is that we're waiting for a call from Mike.

Rob sent him a text and voice message so hopefully he'll just call.

keep your ears on and we'll talk soon.

where are you located in Portugal? anywhere close to where the racers are located right now? denise

I'm the Husky dealer from where he got some last minute parts..

No, i'm not close...45KM above Lisboa by highway, no chance to go south and help him on time :lol:

Here are some Husky dealers (i don't know them...) in the south (try to contact them and/or find where owners live:

These ones should be very close (all +/- near Portimão):

Moto Rápida, Lda

Estrª Nacional 125

8215 - Vilamoura () - PORTUGAL

Phone: 289 328 197 Fax: 289 328 140

WARNING: Estrada Nacional 125 is considered by many international orgs the most DANGEROUS road on the WORLD !!! Lots of fatal accidents...drive extremely carefully !

-----

Carlos Guerreiro Coelho

Sitio da Igreja

8135 - Almancil () - PORTUGAL

Phone: 289 395 008 Fax: 289 395 008

Hope that those are in better position to help...the problem is contact them in a sunday....

I'm the Husky dealer from where he got some last minute parts..

No, i'm not close...45KM above Lisboa by highway, no chance to go south and help him on time :lol:

Here are some Husky dealers (i don't know them...) in the south (try to contact them and/or find where owners live:

These ones should be very close (all +/- near Portimão):

Moto Rápida, Lda

Estrª Nacional 125

8215 - Vilamoura () - PORTUGAL

Phone: 289 328 197 Fax: 289 328 140

WARNING: Estrada Nacional 125 is considered by many international orgs the most DANGEROUS road on the WORLD !!! Lots of fatal accidents...drive extremely carefully !

-----

Carlos Guerreiro Coelho

Sitio da Igreja

8135 - Almancil () - PORTUGAL

Phone: 289 395 008 Fax: 289 395 008

Hope that those are in better position to help...the problem is contact them in a sunday....

Wow, all this activity is great to see and certainly adds to the drama of the event. Even more impressive since the local time is something like 3:45am. Good thing you're a morning guy.

Getting the bike prepped is obviously a top priority, but I'm sure they are dead tired and in need of rest too. I hope it can all come together in time for today's stage.

R

In the morning i will try to contact Husky sales responsible in Portugal via he's personal number to see if he can provide cell phones of the local Husky dealers...i can't do promises about this but let's see what happens...better Mike try to solve it by himself just in case i don't good news...any news/info i will post here.

Bye for now...time for my next +/- 2 hours sleep turn :lol:

PS: Some riders spend today 22Liters in 100KM of stage when in Mauritania (with those big sand dunes) same riders spend in same distance 16 Liters !!!

Hi Denise,

Mike Hobbs here... Everything will come out in the wash but "Right now unfortunately his team and chase crew are not supporting him." I know one of the 'support' members over there and this is way outside of the realm of possibility. It seems to me that the Husky should have been prepped before sending it overseas.

I just talked to Mike a few minutes ago and it seems he has just finished the last section. He is pretty tired and discouraged.

We all know that this has been a dream of Mike's to represent the US at the Dakar for the last 2 years.

Mike's dream, but he is so giving that of course Mike's invitation was open to everyone because Mike is the ultimate team player and the guy that will help anyone out.

Right now unfortunately his team and chase crew are not supporting him. Obviously their intentions are not for the team and race....

still this forum can do incredible things so first let's give Mike all the encouragement that we can and

second if anyone has any financial or overseas connections that can help,

have them call us direct 760.985.7895. thanks rob and denise

A few things that Mike and others might want to know, in case one of you gets through to him.

1) There is a time deadline at the start of the Special. I think it’s something like one or two hours after your official start time. If Mike misses his start time by too much, they might not let him onto the course, especially if the cars have started already. This is what put me out of the race last year. I spent too much time fixing a problem on the liaison in the morning (in Morocco). The lucky thing for Mike is that they will probably not throw him out of the race as long as he can find his way to Malaga before the boat leaves. They try to be tough, but in the end they are very flexible for everyone in the first two days. Even if he doesn’t start the Special, go ahead to Malaga and get on the boat! Once he’s in Morocco, they won’t give him ANY slack!!!

2) If there is someone (Puncar Thogoole???) with a trailer to take Mike (and Brian) to Malaga, he needs to be at the end of the Stage 2 Special. Since Mike finished last on Stage 1, he’ll be the last bike to start stage 2, so he’ll be one of the last bikes to arrive at the end of the Special.

3) After the end of Stage 2 Special, their assistance truck and crew will take the short trip across to Morocco directly to the end of Stage 3 in ErRachidia. Mike and Brian will take the long trip to Malaga and a long overnight boat to Morocco, and they won’t see the crew (or their parts) until the end of the next day. So, they should try to fix their problems at the end of Stage 2 Special, where their assistance crew should be waiting. And if they MIGHT need some parts (stator???, spare tube???, tow rope???) to get them through Stage 3, Mike and Brian should take them out of the truck and carry those things with them to Malaga. Also, last year it was F’ing cold ALL DAY in Morocco. We wore ski gloves and rain gear all day just to stay warm!

4) While traveling to Malaga, try to find a car wash or water hose at a gas station to clean the bikes. This is probably the end of any mud, and it’s very helpful to have a clean bike when you are working on it later in the race. If there is mud on the bikes after day 2, it will be on there all the way to the finish.

Mike Kay # 216

Brian Schmuckle # 217

Their assistance truck, driven by “Des”: #???

dakartruckshippingdaynov17_g32a.jpg

GO Mike and Brian!!!

Well Mr. Hobbs,

so good to hear from you. haven't chatted with you in awhile. are in at the Dakar or just getting notes.

and you are totally right that the bike should have been totally prepped before going overseas but still things go wrong and that's where, I believe, that you just grit your teeth and come together....and the crew should always always support the rider.

OR DON'T SIGN ON TO BE THE CREW!

I know that may sound bold but come on dude, no cry babies.

these problems of blaming and fault finding are the reason why only factory supported teams win.

Things always go wrong, someone always blows it....but you pick yourself up and get going.

and I really am the biggest baby but I learned some of my very best life lessons from the best, ya'll. denise

The big problem with his Y pipe now is it has no restrictor to slow down the water flow

When I read this it sounds like everything is nice and water tight but you want to slow the water down.

How about a piece of smaller diameter hose inside the one he has now? Or possibly some creative use of JB weld?

Best of luck to Mike and Brian! :lol:

and the crew should always always support the rider.

OR DON'T SIGN ON TO BE THE CREW!

I know that may sound bold but come on dude, no cry babies.

:lol::confused:

The primary support team member is the farthest thing from being a cry baby on this planet and the overwhelming majority of people on this site couldn't hold Joe's helmet as a rider, a fierce competitor, an enthusiast, a mechanic or as a human being.

I heard that mud was already being slung in his direction. This is total BS! Chalk me up to watch this thread and challenge more BS like this. If you don't have details from both sides of the issue then stow the crap.

Their assistance truck, driven by “Des”: #???

That would be Joe Desrosiers, aka "Joe hauler". Former SCORE Class 21 champ x2.

Good evening Barro,

I completely agree,

no bagging on Joe, don't worry pjcnlv!

Just a cheerleader for Mike Kay

Whew! and let's get those boys to the finish line.

Hoorah. lol, denise

I see Mike is in last place 8 hrs. behind the leader, who finished the course in an hour and a half. He must have had big troubles. Stage one was lots of sand. Brian is a few spots ahead of Mike. They are both onto stage 2 I assume. Elymer Simmons from here in GA is 14th overall 8 minutes behind the leader.:confused: I hope things go better for them today. Got those stage 1 jitters behind them

30 min. show on VS.(old OLN) Sunday at 3 PM.:lol:

Did anyone ever match the $ I put up for Mike's Dakar effort, do you guys know? No one ever mentioned it to me? Glad to see they are both still running alight.

Denise, do you know if Mike solved the problems ?

If there is too much water flow and engine doesn't reach its correct working temp, he can put simply a plastic board on front of left rad...that will decrease air flow and rise temp...just don't forgoet to remove it when things get hot !!!

I try to contact Husky comercial director in Portugal but he's cell phones rings and nobody answers...if Mike wants, i can continue to try.

The good news is that both Brian and Mike managed to rode todays stage and finished it ! :lol::confused: :confused: :crazy::eek:

Scratch results show Brian made 189th today and Mike 227th (Overall standings they are now 225th (Brian) and 236th (Mike) including to each 5 hours of time Penalty)

MikeKay had some problems to send bikes to Portugal...this is not a excuse but...IIRC...

When Mike try to send from LA airport bikes drectly to Portugal but they didn't want to but in the end, they agree...

After some time and w/o bikes arriving, Mike discovered that bike's was still in LA for two weeks !!!

So,he had to send them to Holland and then they was send to Portugal by truck...

They only received bikes in Sunday right before of year....

When Mike contacted some time ago it wasn't only to buy parts from me...he also wanted to ride with me here in Portugal in my favorite riding area...sadly i had to inform me that i just got rid of my GG and was expecting my future 07 TE510...however, that 510 was supposed to be delivered to me by the end of November or 1st days of December, so i had enough time to get a number plate (it took only 48hours), "livrete e registo de propriedade" (actually now is a single document), insurance and make breakin and get used to its characteristics...however, bike was delivered to me only by Dec19th afternoon...so i saw that there was no chance to all of these and with Mike's bikes delivery delay, the idea t ride with me was out...

To be honest i got the idea, but didn't had the nerve to suggest it :confused: , to say to Mike when he was in my store something "Mike, when bikes arrive take them here anyway, let me show my riding area anyway and you and Brian can then ride it, its a fantastic area, you won't regret...ooooh BTW, because i don't have a bike of my own, i have to borrow one of yours and one of you can ride the other so i can show the area....i promise that i ride slow " (the final part of that phrase, it would with my fingers crossed in my back :( ) ....but i decided that there was no way that he would accept that and anyway, it was too close to final inspections by org.

Riding my own bike or one of the team bikes, however, i had no intention to ride slow...in fact my intention was to beat the c**p out of the bikes, so any potential problem could show right away and solved on time.

When i saw the pics of the supposed "shake down" i was very disappointed and my heart almost felt to the ground :lol:

They rode in a very easy area and with the "wrong crowd"...too slow...and i started to have a bad feeling that the bikes wasn't fully tunned (he told me , before he came to my store, they was having last minute carb problems...i assumed that was still in USA) and there could be in theory possible hidden problem(s) still didn't show up.

All those delays from LA airport contributed to less final prep on bikes...and i still blame myself for not "challenge" him to let me ride one of he's bikes :confused::crazy::eek: ...at worst i would make a big fool of myself to have the nerve to ask that and receiving a loud "NO" but at least, my conscience was now clear.

Oooh well, these things are natural to happen with a Dakar rookie team so don't start to crucify anyone of he's team (at least till we find the details)

The only thing that i criticize is why they didn't put metal Y connectors in 1st place (at least from Denise reports it seems that was using the T plastic connector...correct me if i'm wrong )

Hi Denise,

It's just turned 1pm here (Spain) , I'm going to be setting off to Malaga in about 2 hours time , I'm going out now but will check here before I go.

If they need anything ,post here & I'll see what I can do & take it with me.

Glad to hear there on there way.

Copy and paste from dakar.com

Brian Schmuckle: "The last into Dakar? With pleasure!"

Lost in the crowd at scrutineering, a cigar hanging from his lip, seeking in vain where he has to go whilst pushing along his 510-cm3 Husqvarna is how Brian Schmuckle acquainted himself with the Dakar… at least for the moment. Furthermore, the American rider was one of the last to submit himself to technical scrutineering. "I’ll also be thrilled to be the last into Dakar. That will mean I’ve managed to make it to the end of the rally", admitted the Californian business manager.

Brian, a father of three, has been a motocross fanatic for more than thirty years. This year he has therefore set himself a new challenge: to take part in the king of African rallies, an idea which is much too dangerous for his wife’s liking… But never mind, Brian Schmuckle will do his utmost to follow his friend Michael Kay, who convinced him to accompany him on this adventure.

His plans have been especially difficult to get off the ground. "Husqvarna promised to give us two bikes free of charge, but three weeks before the start, they changed their minds and asked us to pay for one. We have had no time at all to look for funding. My paint company is my main sponsor".

Now that the time has come to tackle the first difficulties of the rally, Brian admits to being quite stressed by the sheer scale of the event. "My deepest worry concerns the bike’s workings". The 49-year old rider does not, however, seem too bothered by the risks involved. "I’m really not worried at all about any accidents. I’ve already broken 21 bones in my body. Physically, I’m perfectly prepared".

For the Californian, this rally simply involves, "getting from A to B, without racing anyone…" Several minutes before experiencing the first miles of the race, the rider was still wondering just how the GPS on his bike worked!

Puncar if you get this message Mike is on his way after the special test he is in a van going toward you He still has problems with electrical and the Y tube if you could try his cell # and see if you can get him Thnaks Rob