Sign in to follow this  

Husky goes to Dakar '07!

I hope things are going better for Mike. It would be easy to sit in the comfort of my living room this morning and arm chair Field Marshal this deal, but I have no real idea of what everybody is going through. Shoot, it's hard enough for me to get my thing together to ride an enduro that's 1.5 hours away and get through the whole event, much less the PD. There might have been a better way, but I have so much respect for Mike and this undertaking.

Go get 'em and ride safe.

Norman

January 6th.

Tough day but they finished. Mike Kay got some twigs in the exhaust which then caught on fire. In order to put the fire out he had to bury the bike in sand. Once the fire was out he had to clean out the sand. Not that much later the bike overheated and started to melt the electrical system causing more stoppages and delays. Back on the road, he had to stop once again after running out of gas. Despite all this, he did finish. Only word regarding Brian was from Mike that Brian was ahead of him. Stnadings show he did finish ahead. However, there was some uncomfirmed rumor that Brian may have been heading in the wrong direction?? Will have more updates tomorrow.

(posted from D-37 Website)

CB

Today must have went better. :confused:

Stage two results show Brian at 190th, 20 minutes 36 seconds behind the leader and Mike at 229th, 28 minutes 42 seconds behind for the day out of 242 bikes still finishing.

Overall shows Brian at 223rd and Mike at 235th.

Hopefully they are getting the bugs ironed out.:lol:

paul

All,

I am MOST impressed with the great effort of you all to help Mike!!!!!

I am sitting in Germany and can not offer any help from this distance - otherwhise I would have offered to rip my '06 510 appart for any part!

Mike, keep going! Best luck from my side!!

Short blurbs on the http://www.rallysocal.com/Blog.html page

here is what they posted today:

January 7th.

5am PST - Just got word that Mike and Brian made it through the special - Africa here they come! Huge relief for those of us who have been following Mike since yeterday's problems with the bike. Still having issues the electrical and needs some additional parts. He had some trouble in the river today, sounded like he got stuck but when a spectator offered him a beer, French camera crews took an opportunity to film him. Guessing France TV2 will have that segment. So they are now headed to port to catch the boat. Also a huge thanks to all who have been networking on both continents at all hours to help Mike out. It is refreshing to see so many rally behind their fellow rider and friend. It is greatly appreciated.

Best of luck to the Huskys, all of the Americans, and the Mexican team too!!!

January 6th.

Tough day but they finished. Mike Kay got some twigs in the exhaust which then caught on fire. In order to put the fire out he had to bury the bike in sand. Once the fire was out he had to clean out the sand. Not that much later the bike overheated and started to melt the electrical system causing more stoppages and delays. Back on the road, he had to stop once again after running out of gas. Despite all this, he did finish. Only word regarding Brian was from Mike that Brian was ahead of him. Stnadings show he did finish ahead. However, there was some uncomfirmed rumor that Brian may have been heading in the wrong direction?? Will have more updates tomorrow.

(posted from D-37 Website)

CB

Twigs ?!?

Pure bad luck...look this way, after all wasn't exactly a design/prep flaw but one of those bad things that can happen in a race...i see many times KTM go out in flames in the Dakar and those wasn't because of twigs !!

I feel much better now knowing that it wasn't a design flaw or lack of enough testing.

Also look this way, 1st stage was so bad for both that now should allways go up :lol:

I wonder if sand got inside the rad cores and got stuck and is blocking some of the air that should pass by them (don't know if he had also to put sand in the rads area).

a fierce competitor, an enthusiast, a mechanic or as a human being.

I heard that mud was already being slung in his direction. This is total BS!

If you don't have details from both sides of the issue then stow the crap.

I have to agree.

And anyone who knows me and/or Joe knows there was a rivalry between us so I'm not just spewing crap as a biased supporter (which I'm not).

Joe and I might not talk but I know that Joe is an huge asset to the Husky guys team and he'd do anything he could to help them continue. He's a great mechanic and very hard worker.

So there's got to be more to this....

I have to agree.

And anyone who knows me and/or Joe knows there was a rivalry between us so I'm not just spewing crap as a biased supporter (which I'm not).

Joe and I might not talk but I know that Joe is an huge asset to the Husky guys team and he'd do anything he could to help them continue. He's a great mechanic and very hard worker.

So there's got to be more to this....

It will be interesting though to find out exactly what happened over there. Regardless, hopefully everyone can get their acts together and straighten everything out. Good luck guys!

It probably isnt anything more than frustration, I dont know the situtation but with two bikes you cant be in two places at once and this is a big deal race and your on your own a lot so I would probably think it is a frustration level deal....But I dont know squat so dont flame me...

Anyway I think they will get it worked out I have seen Mike put his bike back together in the middle of Baja, so I think all these are pretty resoucefull guys....Hope both do well.

My personal opinion about them when they where at my store was that they all look like a good bunch of guys...so, those news about apparent lack of support caught me completely surprised...i bet that was only something said in the heat of the moment when the sky seemed to crash on the head.

I told the team that in the old days that Dakar started in France and in Spain, European stages was a joke...and that was one of reasons why the org changed to Portugal as starting point...now the Dakar starts right away hard with lots of sand even its still in Europe...i guess that they was a bit surprised by the difficulties and fuel consumption of the stage...many of the top riders also was surprised...

Just returned from Malaga , both bikes rode into the port at 7.30 C.E.T (Spanish time) Hurray !

Great news :lol:

What was changed/repaired ? did they used your 610 Y connector ? btw, is it made also of plastic like the T connector of the 510 or i made of metal ?

TIA,

AJSB

Did'nt even get a chance to say hello , was typical spectator madness , grown men running around with camera/phones like little kids getting all excited, yesterday they would'nt have known a Dakar vehicle if it ran them over !

Saw them arrive but could'nt get close , just happy to see them ride in , that was good enough.

Where abouts is your shop in Portugal & whats it called ?

I just talked to Mike on the phone and he is leaving port now on his way to Africa and about 600 more miles till the suport truck. He still is dealing with the Y pipe issue he will try to put a washer in the end to restrict the water flow down. Mike is still running with the stock stator he can not work on the bike on the boat so he will ride with Brian to suport each other I am sure they will not make the distance befor night fall so Mike will have to use Brians lights. Mike will change the stator out when he reaches the end of the next stage. Mike would like me to thank all of you guys over there and here at home for trying to help. Rob Barnum.

I do believe you are totally right, that I spoke in error and passion. Obviously the pit crew has had their own problems to deal with trying to make sure that they could do their jobs and keep these guys in the race. We had seen these similar problems in Baja with mis understanding and communication with our own pit support. This is a really big race for all involved and I'm sure that everyone is contributing time and cash of thier own.

Again, the idea wasn't to bash anyone.

Today it seems that everyone is just moving along. denise

I'm sure emotions & stress levels are in the extreme, all we can really do is cheer on the teams & hope for the best. When it's over, calmer heads will prevail & the whole story, trials & tribulations will be told to us. Congradulations to the teams in what they've accomplished so far & best of luck in the days to come. Things said & done in the heat of the moment are not a true indication of whats going on. Keeping my fingers crossed for all the teams, but especially the Husky team :lol: I'm a little biased considering I've got a TE510 :confused:

Hi Guys,

originally in my message about problems in Dakar, I only said "support crew". I didn't mention any names or go into negative character remarks about any person in particular. I don't even personally know the gentlemen of the support crew so a simple....."look lady, you are mis informed". would have been sufficient. Instead we have totally bashing going on about Mike Kay.

It wouldn't be so bad and I know that Mike would say no big deal but he has a 8 month pregnant 'sweet as peach' wife waiting for any news at home and I encouraged her to find support on this forum....because I felt and still feel that Thumpertalk is the place for the wives also to find support.

so let's try and be nice. denise