WR450F: running the engine in

Hi Guys

I have just bought a 06 WR450F, and will get it tomorrow (cant wait ? )

Question is, I have heard so many different ways of running the motor in, so I thought maybe I would hear from the guys that have done it, and have the proof that their way works.

Please enlighten me.

thanx

I have spent countless hours researching this topic for sportbikes & now dirt bikes & have come up with nothing really..

Ride it hard / Ride it easy - doesnt really matter - just change the oil & filter alot at first & you should be good to go..

?

From what I have heard, you want to heat the motor up, let it cool. heat it up, let it cool ect.. In order to get your rings to seat properly, which will give you the most hours on your bike before rebuild, which can range from 8000 miles to 15000 miles. I rode mine on the street 3 days in a row. Everyday ride some very easy 5-10 miles let it cool, repeat until completely bored. ?

I did this until I had 80 or 90 miles, changed the oil, then I opened it up, changed the throttle stop/grey wire and ripped up some trails. ?

I rode my '05 fairly easy on small twisty back roads and gravel roads for about 100 miles before I did the mods and took it out on the trails. The idea was to not stress the motor too much and to be on and off the throttle...in other words don't run a steady RPM for long periods. After that, I changed the throttle stop, opened up the airbox and exhaust, re-jetted, changed the oil and filter, checked fastener torques. Then...I took it out on the trails and let her rip.

The bike has about 1000 miles on it now, and runs great, it doesn't use any oil between oil changes, and hasn't required a valve adjustment (I've checked...it's still in spec.). So far, so good! ?

Oh Ya, Bran new bike ?

Unlike a new rebuild, your bike as already been run.

Breakin is a nice way to let all of the engine and other parts to become familiar with each other, and start a wear pattern.

I would keep the rpm's low for the first hour and change the oil. After that you can probally start to get famaliar with the bike and get on her some what. I would maybe go 3 hours on that oil change. after that, go race ?

I have the same bike with about 130 miles on it now. I took it to the desert the first time and it road great. I tried to ride the upstroke and let the engine ride on it's on own the downstroke for the first 1-20 miles, then started riding it progressively harder and started to open it up, but just not for long periods. Roll it on for a short period, then roll it off and let the engine slow you down for a while. Also make sure you shift gears. Same proceedure - roll it up in speed, then down. Nothing very scientific. The engine is bulletproof.

You want to let the engine run in a variety of throttle settings and with varying speeds, etc. You don't really have to baby it by any stretch. I chaged the oil after 20 miles or so and it looked fine. I changed it again at 100 miles and it was a little more used, but still not bad.

All you have to do is the FREE Mods and you'll have a real bike. If you don't do the free mods initially while breaking it in, then all this advice goes out the window as the stock throttle only open about half way, so you can keep it floored and you'lll only be riding at half throttle. Get it?

If you have any issues, PM me.

?

Hi Guys

I have just bought a 06 WR450F, and will get it tomorrow (cant wait ? )

Question is, I have heard so many different ways of running the motor in, so I thought maybe I would hear from the guys that have done it, and have the proof that their way works.

Please enlighten me.

thanx

Hi There,

My advice is run it in the way the manufacturer describes in the "bible" that comes with the bike. I know from my experience that the factory warranty (3 months) is null and void if you do not follow the prescribed run in and service process. Additionally, most problems will occur within the first couple of rides (those are the ones that are not self-induced i.e. landing in a tree) hence the value of the warranty.

Lastly, just don't expect much of the bike during the run in process. It behaves like a dogs breakfast. But once you have completed the run-in and get to twist the throttle, hang on. I nearly took mine back during the run in as I thought I had bought a POS.

Regards

Nurooi

2006 WR450

there is some merit in these methods, see a couple of threads below, interesting reading.

Do a search for "Break In" and you'll find some very informative posts...SC

Such as:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

AND

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

New Engine Break-in Procedure

As stated, it is recommended to use mineral oil for about 500+ kms of riding and change it and filter regularly. What you are trying to achieve is bedding in the rings and clearing out all the produced metal and clutch bits and pieces. Engines are welll made to fine tolerences these days and the gentle run ins are no longer needed (IMO).

After 500 to 1500 kms go synthetic or synthetic based oil for less friction but check for no additivees that cause clutch slippage - WR has common oil for engine and clutch. ?

Enjoy

Colin

there is some merit in these methods, see a couple of threads below, interesting reading.

Such as:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

AND

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

New Engine Break-in Procedure

As stated, it is recommended to use mineral oil for about 500+ kms of riding and change it and filter regularly. What you are trying to achieve is bedding in the rings and clearing out all the produced metal and clutch bits and pieces. Engines are welll made to fine tolerences these days and the gentle run ins are no longer needed (IMO).

After 500 to 1500 kms go synthetic or synthetic based oil for less friction but check for no additivees that cause clutch slippage - WR has common oil for engine and clutch. ?

Enjoy

Colin

BINGO!!! ? ...SC