Sign in to follow this  

Dowl on conversion case

When you remove the rear lower mount you loose one of the locating dowl's for the case allignment, Are you guys just using the one dowl now or doing something to relocate the former rear dowl to another location.

Thanks

You use the top rear mount and the front mounts, then secure everything with two of the four bottom mounts. This why a strong and rigid motor box is needed. It also should be made so there is nearly zero play. In fact, play where you have to tap it into position.

He's talking about the pin that aligns the case halves. I wondered about that also. I would allow some misalingment where the shafts are not perpendicular to the bearings. I suppose you could run a reamer through the upper rear mount before cutting off the lower and put the pin in that one.

You use the top rear mount and the front mounts, then secure everything with two of the four bottom mounts. This why a strong and rigid motor box is needed. It also should be made so there is nearly zero play. In fact, play where you have to tap it into position.

Thanks for the reply quadparts, good to know.

socalxr I was thinking about the allighment of the 2 engine case halves more then the mounting of the motor.

I guess the crank and tranny stuff will allign it. The rest of the mounting stuff is good to know, and is how mine is setup to be done.

Boy, yesterday I was interested in having a little discussion with the engineer that decided those soft tapered phillips screws were the way to go attaching the oil pump. :thumbsup: I ended up drilling them out.

I need to pick up some O rings and some new oil pump mounting screws and I can put the bottom end together.

I'm pretty glad I did take this apart as it was a little cruddy in there while everything else is really clean. The O rings were kinda flat and tired looking as well.

edit: klxd yes that is exactly what I was talking about( you replied while I was typing my post)

Oh ok. :thumbsup: Yeah, it has NO affect on alignment what so ever. I done bottomend 100's of times without the lower mount in place. It's never been an issue.

Was just curious, as if they were't square, that could make for some tranny problems among other things.