Sign in to follow this  

Toy Hauler *Buyer Beware*

sad. i have a weekend warrior so far its ok. when i picked it up new. the awing was broke, now big deal they fixed it there. the heater didnt work, blown fuse, smoke alarm did go off when heater first ran. got it home one of the speakers didnt work, no problem took it out and plugged it in. had to adjust doors so they would open and shut right. last trip fuel station quit working, blown fuse, replaced fuse and it blew again, 3rd fuse still going strong. what was up with that.that door for the sewer hose i put a piece of velcro to keep it shut.the door to put in the fuel the key didnt work. took them about 2 weeks to send me another lock. i feel for people that have to deal with stupid dealers that dont help. i would go postal

I am fully convinced that all toy haulers are made by monkeys with hammers and all dealers are there to rip you off and send you out the door. I bought my WW LE3105 from Giant RV and had problems ever since. Their repair center half-asses everything. I felt so slighted that I wrote a letter (Hand written no less) and sent it to the President of Giant RV and WW. I got a call from the President's Assistant saying he received the letter. WW never contacted me. Turns out not only is Giant WW's highest volume dealer the ower of Giant bailed WW out a few years ago when they were broke.

The moral of the story here is research your ass off and check all facts. That industry is getting worse and worse. To top it all of they are still running on some of the highest profit margins for any type of vehicle made. I hope $3/gal gas kills those bastards.

i bought mine at giant rv in colton. nobody makes anything good anymore!!! i think they know if they build to last they wont sell as many. , cuz nobody will need them. make them cheap and fall apart quickly. we will need to buy another 1. what a joke

good info, thanks. now, if you could do it over again, or they refunded you 100%, with this prior knowledge what would you guys buy. woulkd a rv with rear storage be any better

:thumbsup: Ok everyone, it's not just Toy Haulers it is the whole RV market, from the low end to the high end. There is a very good RV forum associated with Trailer Life magazine, oh the stories there. And again, not just Toy Haulers.

I have a warrior fs2600 that is now 5 yrs old and have had very few problems with it. the converter for 110 to 12v went out after 2 yrs replaced with quality unit no prblems. The gas struts that assist the rear bed went bad and the chinsy rubber strap would not hold the bed up, it fell and landed on one of the bikes and put hole in the bed. Allso came down on both of the twin beds that were folded up against the wall damaging both of them. One call to the factory and one call to the dealer after 5 yrs every thing was good as new.After the warranty was up. They replaced all 4 struts with heavier ones, repanelled the under side of the bed and fixed the twin beds. Also they replaced the rubber strap with a seatbelt buckel and tab, witch now comes on all the newer models along with the larger struts.I have talked with 5 or 6 other owners of the same years and 3 have had the beds come down and the others had problems with the struts being week. Of the three, the factory stood behind the product and fixed the problems. Witch makes me think they knew this was a problem thats why they fixed mine and the newer models at the factory. The one thing I don't get is why they don't contact owners of the first models and fix them prior to the damage. Labor and mat. to fix the damage to mine alone could of fixed 10 or more before the damage happened and made for happier customers :thumbsup:

Check out California's LEMON LAW. It seems tome that you would qualify and they have to replace or refund your money.

:thumbsup: Ok everyone, it's not just Toy Haulers it is the whole RV market, from the low end to the high end. There is a very good RV forum associated with Trailer Life magazine, oh the stories there. And again, not just Toy Haulers.

You are correct. My parents just bought a 40' Alfa Toy house from Mike Thompson's RV in Santa Fe Springs CA. They have had nothing but problems with the trailer and the dealer.

Ordered the trailer at the RV show at the Pomona Fairplex. Trailer showed up at dealer on promised date, with the wrong configuration inside. Dealer blamed Alfa, Alfa blamed dealer. They walked through the trailer on the delivery date, made a list 5 pages long of what was wrong with the trailer. They told the dealer they would not sign any paperwork until it was fixed, dealer still had the nerve to ask for the $10k deposit. Yeah right.

Two weeks later, trailer back from Alfa, problems fixed. So the dealer said. Parents show up to do the walk through. Out of 5 pages of defects, they fixed 4 major problems, ignored the rest. Simple things like replacing a torn screen, or bent screen, or leaking toilet. Parents were so very pi$$ed. You know, when you buy a $18k toy hauler, you expect to get that level of trailer. But when you buy a $60K trailer, you expect a better level quality and service. Turns out, the problems were mostly due to the dealer not taking the time to go through the trailer, and taking care of the issues.

The best part of the whole deal was when my parents finally took delivery of the trailer, the salesman, who could do nothing but make excuses as to why these issues were not his fault, asked me when I was ready to come down and trade my toy hauler in on a bigger unit (wife and I have a 21 foot sandpiper, no issues thus far for two years by the way), since we had a child and needed to upgrade. I just laughed, looked him straight in the eye and told him there was no way in hell I would ever buy anything from this dealer. After seeing the way my parents were treated when buying a upper end coach, I can't imagine how I would be treated when buying a mid grade toy hauler.

Mike Thompson's RV Sucks,

Chris

If the dealer and/or manufacturer don't step up (and soon), I'd hire a lawyer to write them a hotly worder letter. In many instances that's all it takes.

Good luck with your situation.

Tim

This is why the internet is so beautiful.. When you treat people like Mike Thompsons RV does word gets out. It's just so hard to get good service and quality these days. I guess you really have to make them turn everything on, run the genny, test the shitter and really go through the thing before you haul it off...

BUMMER ! I,m happy I took the time to build a box van the way and the quality I wanted.I have a friend that has a $350k bus and it's always a 5 page list of stuff that doesn't work or has broken.Each trip they start a new list. :thumbsup::thumbsup::bonk::bonk::bonk::eek::eek::lol::bonk::bonk::eek::eek::lol::p:p:p:p:p:p

this is so true,

and its been this way for 40 years, they are all junk , and you must go all through them and correct everything !!

i have had lots of units over the years , and it does not matter if is is a 450,000. or a 45,000 dollar unit you must really go through the thing,

it is just the way its is,

and don't think the dealer will fix it for you, ( you do not want there auto zone reject working on it anyway :bonk: )

you need to do it all if you want it right, :thumbsup:

this is so true,

and its been this way for 40 years, they are all junk , and you must go all through them and correct everything !!

i have had lots of units over the years , and it does not matter if is is a 450,000. or a 45,000 dollar unit you must really go through the thing,

it is just the way its is,

and don't think the dealer will fix it for you, ( you do not want there auto zone reject working on it anyway :bonk: )

you need to do it all if you want it right, :thumbsup:

AMEN BROTHER!! :bonk: Oh wait, if they were quality built units I'd be unemployed. Hmmm. And in Canada we are Canadian Tire rejects. :eek:

Seriously, it is unfortunate that some dealerships treat customers the way they do. It seems though that most people will always focus on the negative and never on the positive :thumbsup:

BTW I am a licensed tech and had to take a three year apprentiship program to get it. :bonk:

AMEN BROTHER!! :bonk: Oh wait, if they were quality built units I'd be unemployed. Hmmm. And in Canada we are Canadian Tire rejects. :bonk:

Seriously, it is unfortunate that some dealerships treat customers the way they do. It seems though that most people will always focus on the negative and never on the positive :thumbsup:

BTW I am a licensed tech and had to take a three year apprentiship program to get it. :eek:

i also am a master certified tech,licensed a&p and a&i i own a shop and i do all sorts of repairs and build race bikes, ( rv ,auto, race bikes , aviation ),

and i see all the good and the bad, and i just can't believe how bad the rv stuff is , and i just can't believe that some people still don't know that it is this bad ,

it is just hard for me to see a guy go get a new 5er and way to small of a gas truck,

then go out with his family and he gets mad because many things are screwed and don't work,( he did not really check anything , nor would he know how and or take the Time :bonk: )

then complain and bitch :thumbsup:

then the rig spends 3 months at the ww dealer and he gets is back more screwed up then before he took it in :bonk::bonk:

i have seen this for years, these rv's take alot of time to really get corrected .

and it takes alot of time to educate the customer on how to really use them :eek::lol:

i also am a master certified tech,licensed a&p and a&i i own a shop and i do all sorts of repairs and build race bikes, ( rv ,auto, race bikes , aviation ),

and i see all the good and the bad, and i just can't believe how bad the rv stuff is , and i just can't believe that some people still don't know that it is this bad ,

it is just hard for me to see a guy go get a new 5er and way to small of a gas truck,

then go out with his family and he gets mad because many things are screwed and don't work,( he did not really check anything , nor would he know how and or take the Time :eek: )

then complain and bitch :thumbsup:

then the rig spends 3 months at the ww dealer and he gets is back more screwed up then before he took it in :thumbsup::bonk:

i have seen this for years, these rv's take alot of time to really get corrected .

and it takes alot of time to educate the customer on how to really use them :bonk::eek:

I agree with much of your position but in a sense you are blaming the guy who is not a mechanic like you and was clearly told by the guy at the RV store that the thing is "plug and play" and here is where you are way off base dude.

Many of us are not mechanics and in many cases trust the people who tell us things about what we are going to get. Joe Consumer is looking to puchase his unit, drive it home, load it up and use it as advertised. Then they will take it in for normal service. Seems to me this whole market is saturated with crappy products and now you are telling me it is my fault? :bonk:

Go ahead and park your high horse bud, and take it easy with the emoticons. The real problem is it appears the whole RV market is saturated with crap and unless you are prepared to wrench yourself and juryrig the thing to death it seems like a huge waste of time. What else you gonna do though?

The problem isn't the product the problem is the dealers.

You must assume there will be problems with a house on a trailer frame rolling down the washboard at 50 mph. Soem houses fall apart and they are on foundations. What do people expect from a balsa wood (j/k lol) framed house on wheels.

Although it may cost more money it pays to purchase from a small (mom and pop) joint cuz you are their bread and butter. They don't spend tons of money to have the lot right next to the freeway and buy billboards etc... If the large dealers loose a buyer or two they don;'t care. Your best friend will go and buy the bigger and better one the next day (you are expendable). Mike Thompsons or Giant aren't afraid of a few complaining patrons cuz they sell more untis than anyone. Now mom and pop down the road that have to sell 2 units a month to make it will do everyhtin gin their power to make you happy.

Expect the product to be crappy and nothing will catch you by surprise. Expect those large dealers to be crappy too. Learn that lesson and take it to another dealer for service.

Here in So Cal WW just opened their warranty service center in Upland. I live 70 miles south of there but am going to make the drive. I have had several people take their rigs there and they went through it with a fine tooth comb.

When bought my trailer I treated it like when I bought my new house. You keep a pad of paper and a pen in your trailer and just right down the things that piss you off. Mass produced houses are just as crappy as mass produced RV's and you need to know that going in the game. What surprised me was how little the dealer, which is the largest in the country, knew about my trailer and how poorly I was treated at the dealer and the service center. At the dealer it was sing the paper and get the f$%k out. At the service center it is band-aid fix for a severed leg.

Back in the early 1970's my dad made campers called the "Stowaway". That and the Smuggler were the very begining of the toy hauler industry. 1973 came with it's gas shortages, price hikes, and odd-even days and my dad's business died. I remember watching my dad build his campers and they were solid as a rock. I even saw one the other day on the back of a truck still campin'.

Companies like Fleetwood and dealers like Giant RV killed the industry by treating it's customers like streams of revenue and not customers. All I know is next time I am getting an RV it will likely be a diesel pusher and I am going to buy one that is 2 to 5 years old that from someone that keeps records. That way someone else can do the shake down period.

Check out California's LEMON LAW. It seems tome that you would qualify and they have to replace or refund your money.

If your interested the Lemon Law is actually known as the Magnusen Moss Act. Essentially you qualify if after a reasonable number of attempts to repair something doesn't correct the condition or when an excessive number of issues occur, you can be considered for it through a consumer appeal board.

First step if find the appropriate consumer appeals board.

You have an excellent case against these guys. Call Bill Handle at KFI AM640 radio in Los Angeles on saturday mornings. I have heard him comment on this type of problem before, and its a simple legal argument, has a technical term I dont recall at the moment. The short of it is you can easily MAKE THAT DEALER BUY THE TRAILER BACK. It will require taking them to court, but its not a question as to IF they have buy it back, but simply when. As for me, I sure as hell won't buy an RV from those clowns. Thanks for the info!