2 srtoke rider considering switching sides

I have always ridden a 2 stroke, except for about 8 months when I (tried to) ride an XR 400 at my local sand dunes.

I also went out with a friend who had a YZ 426? thumper. I must say that bike did sound awsome, but I could never get it to start. My friend had trouble getting that beast started too.

Im looking at the 2005 Honda CRF 450, but dont know weather to go X or R. I am presently on a 2001 Honda CR 500, and 1999 Honda CR 250. (not at the same time tho)

What should I be asking myself, or better yet my local dealer, when looking at a CR 450 (X or R).

?

I want to use the machine for riding in the Juniper Sand Dunes near Pasco WA, where I live.

I have been riding my 2001 CR 500 for exactly that purpose, and its been good except that the vibrations and hard clutch pull are killing my hands. I also have a 1999 CR 250R, which starts easy, and goes fast in the sand. I let my favorite Teenager ride that one, except for when I seal it from him. He complains of the CR 500 "bad vibes" too.

I had a 2000 XR 400, and hated (I mean hated) every ride. Thats when I traded it in for a 2001 CR 500. I like the snap of a two stroke, but I see more and more Thumpers on the dunes. I understand the CRF is no XR, but if I go for the CRF 450X with lights and an elt. start, will the power remind me of the dreaded XR experience ? Can I really get a bike with lights and elt. start that will be fast & powerfull enough to get me up the big dunes without killing my hands ?

I really dont care if the thing weighs an extra 15 lbs because of lights, starter, and battery as long as it gets the job done. On the other hand I dont want a milk-toast engine with my lights and starter. I will happily kick-start my bike in favor of a strong snappy (sand dune eating) powerband. I am not a racer, but I do want the most bang for my buck.

Am I barking up the right tree, or just being rediculous ?

In my experience, either one will pull you through sand with no problems. If you ride a lot of rolling whoops, the X may have better suspension valving in stock form. A big difference to consider is that the X has a wide-ratio transmission; something that is quite useful in off-road situations where you go really slow and really fast on the same ride. Also, if you believe the Honda specs, the weight difference is more like 32 lbs. It's really tough to characterize the differences between the two, so your best bet is to bum a ride on each...

FFR:

I know what you are going through. I always rode Cr250's until recently I bought my first 450X. I am not going to lie to you there are major diff between the two. It was manly a green sticker issue with me. I am not sure if you have those issues in WA. The 4-strokes have come a long way. I really enjoy my 450X especially after all the mods I made to it. It is a fast bike and has a lot of power and rides really well but compared to the Cr250 it feels like a tank.

As for the electric start once you have it you will never go back. It is awesome watching your buddies kick and kick while you push the button and ride off.

I switched from a 96 CR 250 to a brand new 450X and I really like the bike ,it is taller than my old CR but it runs well.Take into consideration the transmission difference and also the fact that the X has more Radiator area to keep it cool in the heat.If you buy the x spent a little extra and get the JD jet kit,adjustable fuel screw,and do the pink wire mod. ?

I switched from a 94 kx250 to a 05 crf450r. I also have ridden cr500's quite a bit as two of my buddies had them. For power the 450 is no comparison to the 250 two stroke and top power is more like the 500 (maybe a bit less in the dunes). The R version of the honda 450 feels way lighter and more powerful than the X. The gearing is a big difference, but only if you ride over 80mph or under 5 mph often. I always thought the motocross bikes worked better in sand whoops too, but I may be mistaken, as I have never ridden the X in whoops. The R would be more comparable to the old cr500 in weight and feel, but the power is more broad, less peaky, and it hardly vibrates too. It's a rocket, and I have yet to kick it more than 5 times in the worst of cases. If a green sticker and/ or a headlight is not a factor, than get the R. It will start.