Yamaha XT 550 - Checking Oil Level - Oil Capacity

I've got the bike to start ?

Now I need info on oil, want to get fresh in before going any further? I do have a new oil filter to install.

What weight oil?

Do you fill through the backbone hole?

How much oil do you use on a oil change =

a. Without new filter?

b. With new filter?

How do you read the oil level? Dip stick is in the back bone =

a. Stopped (engine cold) and screwed in?

b. Stopped (engine cold) not screwed in?

c. Stopped (engine warm) and screwed in?

d. Stopped (engine warm) and not screwed in?

e. Immediate stop (engine warm) and screwed in?

f. Immediate stop (engine warm) and not screwed in? (Like Honda XR400)

g. Running and screwed in?

h. Running and not screwed in?

I've got a parts cd for it on the way. Also in looking on the net, there isn't a whole lot of info, most of what you find is European - in a forgien language. I have only had some success in getting translated.

Thanks

http://www.repairmanual.com/catalog/LIT-11616-XT-51 The re-printed factory manual is a bit expensive but believe me, in the long run you'll be glad you picked one up. There are no Clymers or similar manuals that directly deal with the two-model-year XT550.

Off the top of my head, I believe with a filter it was something around 2.5 quarts. I wouldn't try checking it while running...it's no fun getting hot oil splashed on you and the gas tank. ? I just check mine cold, not running, dipstick screwed in. I thought there were two marks on the dipstick (for "warm" and "cold") but I could be wrong on that one.

dakman74 -

I used the time machine (search) and found a nugget that will help tremendously. Back on 5-31-05 you answered a post regarding XT550 valve clearance and added a link for parts information pages that included a service data page for some bikes (the XT 550) being one of them.

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx

As far as the oil capacity ?

Dry - 2200cc

Oil and Filter Change - 1900cc

Oil Only - 1800cc

I sure I can figure out on-off \ hot-cold \ stick in-stick out as far as checking the level in general.

File I grabbed looked like it had just about everything someone might need service related. Lubrication info - plug info - valve specs - nut and bolt torque specs - carb specs.... With this file and my parts diagram number cd I am getting great info.

Once Again - Thanks Again ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

still curious to the dipstick part mine shows empty "nothing on the dipstick" when checked cold, i know i put 1800ccs in and showed full before i started it and i know last time i filled it to the full mark it had a gallon in it when i drained it

still curious to the dipstick part mine shows empty "nothing on the dipstick" when checked cold, i know i put 1800ccs in and showed full before i started it and i know last time i filled it to the full mark it had a gallon in it when i drained it

The oil in your backbone tank is draining down into the sump after you shut it off. It's not supposed to happen but I've owned two XT550's and worked on a couple others and it happened to everyone of them. If you check it cold and add oil because you think it's low, eventually you have way too much in there. The only solution is to check it hot. Run the bike a while and the system returns to normal, with all but a quart in the backbone tank. It's takes a few minutes of running for this to happen.

When doing an oil change, I add a quart through the intake valve cover then add the rest into the backbone tank. There is a bleeder valve on the oil filter housing, take the bolt out and kick the bike over with the kill switch off a couple times. You'll usually see oil ooze out the bleeder hole right off. Then reinstall the plug before firing it up.

What driftwood said.

I have a 550 and learned this the hard way. I changed the filter/oil. Then I started it and needed it to run for 10 minutes because I was baking the ceramic on the pipes.

So it sounded funny and I thought "hey, I ought to check the oil level", so I opened the backbone tank and oil went all over the front porch. Then I lied to the gf when she asked if I made a mess. (side note: when don't I make a mess? but I do clean it, it's been a long time, she knows me) Which I don't advise either, but it was one of those "not much" kinda lies, is that lying? Anyway, spent an hour cleaning that stuff up.

I think the knocking/extreme overflow was because of the dry-sump drain back let me think I needed to add more oil than it should have had, then once warm, the bike was knocking and I relieved the pressure, all over the porch.