Sign in to follow this  

CRF450R for trail and desert!!

I would like to set up my 2005 CRF450R for desert and single track riding. As of know it is stock and has been ridden in only the sand. What mods/add-on's has everyone done to make it a desert rider. I'm pretty sure that I will add a larger tank. Secondly does anyone have pictures of the 450X overflow mod that I have read about and if so do they have the part #'s !! Thanks :thumbsup:

My 450R and friends are set up for high desert singletrack. We ride from as far north as Topaz to down by you.

If you have the money:

Heavy duty tubes

Hand guards that can protect the levers.

Steering stabilizer

Full bash plate,

Not the ones that bolt to the case but the Utah sports, Scott Summers or Badger.

Shark fin.

Just the one that bolts to the brake stay. The full axel mounted shark fins tend to ruin the whole rear end when you tag a rock. The bolt-ons just snap and you replace the $35 fin.

These tend to be the standard items. Additionally you can get a heavier flywheel, the Barnett clutch with the stainless steel covers work really smooth. And any other items that you may need like gearing.

With the stock tank I get about 70 miles, so if your desert rides are shorter then that you won't need the tank. All the above is good plus 1 tooth bigger in the front should give you plenty of top end and still crazy pulling power!

Make sure to get your gearing right. Stock your bike is geared for what? 70mph? Add one tooth to the front sprocket.

You might want to jet you bike a little on the rich side. You'll be running WFO in the desert, thats pretty hard on the 450's, richer jetting will help protect the engine from a lean condition and parts failure.

Get a coolant catch tank so you don't find yourself low when your doing alot of stop/start riding. :thumbsup:

Thats all i can think of that wasn't already said.

All the above post are right on. I dropped three teeth in back and use Ironman Sprockets with a DID chain. I did everything above for the most part, but I also use Maxxis desert IT tire in front and a Maxxis 120/90 IT rear. Its a tight fit in the rear fender on bottom outs, but no problems.

I also added a promoto billet spark arrestor, then got a new pipe with a SA installed.

I also say have your suspension done for your weight and off road riding. Your body will thank you!

Z

Thanks that is a good start. What coolant is everyone running. Out here in the summer I do not even think of running my CRF and stick to my XR. If I can find a good coolant I might get more riding in. Also what light kit is the easiest and brightest to throw on I heard the HID light kit is nice? Any takers!!

Thanks that is a good start. What coolant is everyone running. Out here in the summer I do not even think of running my CRF and stick to my XR. If I can find a good coolant I might get more riding in. Also what light kit is the easiest and brightest to throw on I heard the HID light kit is nice? Any takers!!
Engine Ice. period.

HIDs are an incredible light source and I believe Baja Designs have some very nice sets. Unfortunately you will need to send your stator out to get rewound and Baja Designs can do that for you as well!

All of the stuff mentioned is great. You might consider some FlexxBars too. I love mine in the desert. Also, you'll get better traction with an Maxxis SI front, and it wears very well. Stick with the Maxxis IT for the rear if you only do desert.

I run my 450R mostly on the track these days, but it works plenty well for me in the desert as well. I'd run a better skid plate than I have now if I did desert exclusively, but the Works Connection glide plate that I have has worked well enough so far when I've dragged the frame over a rock or boulder.

I only geared my up one tooth in the rear and it works pretty good. Again, if I did desert exclusively I'd probably add one more tooth in the rear.

Also, if I had the money I'd get an auto clutch. I then move the hot start leverl to the right side, and use the old hot start lever as a rear brake finger lever.

Like mentioned, you can get great milage on the stock tank if your bike is jetted properly. You can definately do 40 miles of anything without gas issues. 70 miles is probably pushing it, unless you are operating at a higher elevation or something.

Suspension work can make such a world of difference. This is probably the first thing I'd spend my money on, if not the Flexbars.

ben

Here's an item you might want to lookat from Bajadesigns

Item Code: 050100 Oil Tank, Kit (CRF450) '00-'04

The stock CRF450R crankcase only holds 650cc of oil to lubricate the

crank, piston, and entire top-end. For bikes being used exclusively

for motocross this is no problem but for bikes being used for

offroad and/or dualsport this can be a serious issue. The piston has

only one oil-scrape ring and the bike has a tendency to blow oil out

of the vent tube at extended high RPM's.

The Baja Designs CRF450R ('02-on) external oil tank is designed to

increase the crankcase oil capacity to a full 1 liter as well as

recover any oil blown out the vent tube. It mounts between the frame

rails directly in front of the motor and plumbs directly into the

existing oil system. Kit includes all necessary hardware and

detailed installation instructions. It will fit all years of

CRF450R. Note that an aluminum skidplate is required to protect this

product once mounted. See Related Items below.