2/20/06 Red Mtn/Husky Ride report

Well after two 80 mile days we thought that it would be nice to try for a 100+ mile run to cap off the weekend. It was cold....COLD and windy again.

North face of Red Mtn.

IMG_0248.jpg

50 miles into the ride Erica's ready for more!

IMG_0250.jpg

Looking North across Cuddeback lake, the clouds were cool looking, but it was cold with a bitter wind coming out of the Northeast.

IMG_0249.jpg

Same spot looking at south face of Red mtn

IMG_0252.jpg

Erica checking out the memorial plaques at the Husky Monument

IMG_0253.jpg

An old mining operation, I wonder if they made any $$$

IMG_0256.jpg

The things people leave in the desert....

IMG_0259.jpg

This thing went 20+ feet into the ground, it had a roof on it and a small place on top to enter, I dont know if it was for water, explosives, food, OR ????

IMG_0261.jpg

These white posts are all over the desert, I think they are mining claims...Im RICHHHH Bitch!

IMG_0266.jpg

The entrance to a tunnel/cave

IMG_0265.jpg

Erica, inside the small room, this is the way to the other side

IMG_0262.jpg

For the Fleas......This is the way we came in

IMG_0263.jpg

As the sun sets on another great (but cold) day in the desert, 110 Miles for a 260MI total for Erica's first weekend of riding...

IMG_0267.jpg

Dust, Great pictures!!! Big miles for the weekend. My son and I and buddy did 65 miles on Sunday 2/19. Prospectors to Wagon Wheel then out East on some great spaced out whoops, south to some single track along the mountains. West back to check on camp Pick up 2 green riders then a Haul AZZ loop to Randsburg for a Newbie. I hope the big crowds don't start going out there. CD

Hey not knocking the place, we had alot of small kids in the group and I had no idea about where the good stuff was. I was off of trona rd. Two of us found a single track trail and rode that for a good distance and then came back around from direction. We almost just went to Dove Springs but that would of been rude. I went for the people not the ride, If I go againe I let you now and you can take me out and trash me ?

I did see that Mountain- even took a pic as well

We camped above Dawsons Cabin. Rode to Trona Pinnicales on Saturday, then around Diablo Mountains to South of Ridgecrest then back over to camp. About 130 miles for the weekend. Yes it was cold, but we had alittle of everything with the weather. Rain, Hail, Snow, Wind, Clouds, and Sunshine. Great weekend.

We camped above Dawsons Cabin. Rode to Trona Pinnicales on Saturday, then around Diablo Mountains to South of Ridgecrest then back over to camp. About 130 miles for the weekend. Yes it was cold, but we had alittle of everything with the weather. Rain, Hail, Snow, Wind, Clouds, and Sunshine. Great weekend.

I bet we crossed paths out there on Saturday.

i was out there too, i was camped at charlies place. on sunday, seven of us went from camp to where you had the pictures of, (i've always heard it called rock house), then to red mountain and out towards the pinnacles across teagle wash and back to camp. it was rice, it has been a long time since i rode out there. and it was cold, but a couple of layers and some good hard riding kept me warm.

That was a water tank for what I call The Hole In The Hillside House. You can see the old foundations where they had a covered patio on the east side and where they had a great room to the south. Did you see the skylight in the tunnel between the rooms?

There are several fireplaces and you can find the remnants of the old drain system for rainwater. Is was something back in it's day before the BLM burned it to the ground when the owners went into town to see the doctor. How pathetic.

It's always fun to take new people there and show them what used to be. The pine tree was alive last year but it looks like it finally died.