Sign in to follow this  

false oil level reading

Is anyone having touble reading the oil level on a drz400s? The manual says idle for 3 mins (after the engine has cooled for a while) then wait 3 mins to measure - result, oil hardly touches dipstick.

If you wait 3 mins after a long ride it measures over full.

It is easy to get a false reading, any clues?

I had the same problem. I ran the engine and then checked the oil level and it was near the bottom of the dipstick. I added some oil and after riding the bike, checked the oil again and the level was high. Not sure what's going on.

Originally posted by stick:

Is anyone having touble reading the oil level on a drz400s? The manual says idle for 3 mins (after the engine has cooled for a while) then wait 3 mins to measure - result, oil hardly touches dipstick.

My buddy overfilled his DRZ-S so bad it was smokin' like it was on fire. The airbox filled up with oil being blown out the crankcase breather tube. The motor sucked this oil in; instant mosquito killer.

Getting an accurate reading is difficult no doubt. I've been following what it says in the owners manuel to the letter. If it is low using the Suzuki method, I add oil, a little at a time. I can't see doing it any other way and feeling confident it is done right.

I forgot to mention that you must remember that the oil expands when it gets hot. This is a normal characteritic of any oil. So when you come back from a longer ride and the engine is hot, the oil will register higher on the dip stick due to the expansion of the oil. Again, follow Suzuki's method exactly. They designed the bike, they should know best.

Here is my theory. If you change the oil and filter, and put 1.9 quarts in, (assuming that the bike doesn't smoke or leak oil), then it should be ok. With fresh oil in it, you can't tell where it is on the dipstick anyway, so if there is oil on the stick, and you put the correct amount in, then it should be good to go.

The way I check my oil is to make sure that the engine is at operating temperature, shut it off, then right away check the oil. When I serviced my bike, after the first dealer change at 1000 kms, I drained out over 2 liters, this is what the dealer put in, I never added oil. I refilled the bike with the specified oil amount (1.7 liters) ran the engine and the oil was low on the dip stick. I added 1 liter more oil to bring it to the top of the stick when hot. I have checked the oil level at every fill up, oil is at the full mark on the stick. I don't feel that I am overfiling it. Any thoughts?

me three! I never can seem to get it to read right on, always over or under...

Before my DRZ I was riding XR's for about 9 years. XR's check the oil the same way. I have never had a problem reading my oil on an XR or DRZ. Don't sweat so much about the manual. Ride the bike up and down the street, get it good and hot. Roll into your garage and immediately check your oil level. If it is midway and up on the dipstick (but still not over) you are good to go. Yes, the oil has expanded due to the heat but there is also a bit in the motor components still. If you get a good reading like that, go ride!

Originally posted by stick:

My last two oil changes I have not gotten the bike to accept more than one quart. The last time I was sure the bike was very hot -- and the oil did gush out quickly. I changed the filter also. But, only one quart will go in. What is wrong? I did this with the bike on the side stand, and did rock it to the right. Do you think the back of the bike was too low?

Just been to my dealer to have the 1st service done. After having it booked for 2 weeks, when I turned up they didnt have the filter so I had to ride 35 miles to another shop and bring back a filter for them! UK dealers! - sorry thats another topic!

Anyway, ongoing oil saga is: Suzuki mechanic says the oil does expand so its best to test it in the morning on a cool engine. He says do it by the manual, eg. let it idle for 3 mins, then stop for 3 mins, balance upright and rest dipstick on thread and measure.

He put in approx 2100ml(NOT U.S measure) and it read at the top of the F mark. So much for 1800ml the manual says! He also said that this is not uncommon for real levels to be different to book stated levels.

He had the workshop manual and said he'd been on a DRZ course so I think he is reliable and it was a Suzuki only dealer. That said they could'nt order a filter between them!

Be able to right a small book on the subject soon!

1 quart?!?!?!?! Are you taking out BOTH drain bolts? Don't just drain the frame, drain the bottom of the engine too!

Could the SUMP in the frame be leaking??

I've been having the same problem!! No oil on dipstick! Did not want to add oil so I did an EMERGENCY oil change! Level was good after 50KM check! 300KM later NO oil on the dipstick! Not leaking it or burning it!

Where is it??? Could the SUMP in the frame be leaking??

HELP??

dude,one thread is plenty.

you have to run the bike before oil will register on the dip stick.all the oil settles in the motor when they sit.

run the bike for 3 minutes.then check the oil.

Level was good after 50KM check! 300KM (240 miles) later NO oil on the dipstick! HELP??

HELP?

Warm the bike up...ride it around the block for a couple of minutes to get the oil circulating....let stand for 4-5 min...check. Should be good. No need to be so precise on the amount of oil when changed. Just dump in two quarts. If you have an oil reading when the bike is cold you are over full by a couple of quarts....

Oil checking on a DRZ..

Change the oil and filter often, pour in 2 L or 2 Qt. Ride bike.. AN oil leak or motor burring enough oil to be an issue between oil changes will be noticeable. Nothing to check. :crazy:

there is no way your bike is using that much oil with otu a mechanical problem.

you need to use the proper method to check the oil.

one thread is enough!