question about wheelies/ shifting

I can wheelie pretty good.Thur all the gears.I never use the clutch when I wheelie and hardly use the clutch when both wheels are on the ground.

I have never had any tranny or clutch problems.

When your doing the wheelie at a comfortable point you just hit the throttle a little harder to bring the front a little higher that way you can let off the throttle a tad and it kinda takes pressure off the gears and then you can shift and hit the throttle again and go a little and the repeat like the first shift

It takes a little practice. ?

Doug

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i wheelie I use the clutch and shift all the time, its not to hard. Just shift that bastard you can get it ?

Yes, but you're riding a 125 smoker = zero compression braking.

On a 4 stroke you are better off lightly preloading the shift lever (not for too long) prior to backing off the throttle a tad, shifting and then getting back into it. Rear brake is the key for smoothness.

This is much more difficult on an R1 at highway speeds. ?

Dave

It's no problem to shift up through the gears without using the clutch in fact it's quicker. Just let the throttle go momentarily and put pressure on the lever. When you want to upshift during a wheelie you will have to take the bike slightly past the balance point, let off the throttle slightly and push the lever up into the next gear. As the bike starts to come down you should have selected the next gear and can continue the wheelie. This obviously takes practice so good luck. Cover the back brake (it bloody hurts when you loop!)

i went out riding on the new '05 yz250f of mine. haven't ridden since 2000. within 15-20 minutes i was able to pull it up in 2nd carry through 2nd and shift to 3rd and carry it through third. i then started clutching it up in 3rd and riding across the whole field. it's incredibly easy, anyone who can't wheelie is just afraid. cover the brake and sit a lil farther back in the seat. dont forget to RELAX your upper body and let the bike come up to you. i never had to use the brake once.

Used to run wheelies from 2-3-4 or 3-4-5 with regularity without clutch. I only used the clutch to start and to get the engine back on the pipe if I am bogging it in some tight sand or a slow corner. If you have a competition style bike then it's not a problem, some more dual purpose bikes mightn't shift so easy under load.

Shifting a motorcycle is perfectly o.k. with out the clutch,Ido it all the time ,its not like a car.Indy cars have the same type of gear box and they don't use the clutch,it takes too much time.Ever hear of a shift button on a road race bike?Shift with the front wheel in the air without the clutch,get longer wheelies

With synchronized trannys it's ok to upshift with out a clutch.... but you should unload the tranny before you do it. (Momentarily let off the gas) When you get it right it feels just like a fast clutched upshift, do it wrong and things feels jerky. Alot of roadracers do this, people with more money do it with the throttle pinned and never let off- the shift kits will momentarily kill the ignition. Clutchless upshifts usually only feel right to me under heavy acceleration on a bike.

I also ALWAYS blip the throttle on downshifts(and use the clutch)... an old roadracing habit. It was recommended in my Aprilia Mille owners manual.

You can do this in a car also..... slip the car out of gear right as you let off the throttle, lightly rev the car and it'll slip right in.... no clutch needed. I've never gotten this to work (with a car) under heavy acceleration. Only light to moderate acceleration.

wow, you guys are funny. i NEVER use the clutch in a racing condition during upshifts. it's unnecessary and slow. i used to use the clutch every upshift until i started roadracing. speedshifting is the only way i'll ever do it now.

Ditto!!! And can save a clutch from a lot on uneeded abuse and will actually gain a few ticks of a second in time too. I learned from roadracing too! ?

A clutch was put there for a reason, so obviously you need it??And they put one on every bike.Also i think a clutch gives you more control too...

As has been stated in an earlier post within this thread. Motorcycle trannys are synchronized and don't require a clutch to work them. Yes, the clutch does make it easier for those that don't understand how to work the tranny without the clutch but its completely optional.

As gettr said earlier, I too do use the clutch during down shifts, but I also "blip" the throttle, which allows keeps the engines revs in synch with the next lowest gear. BUT, I normally do not use the clutch during upshifts, especially if I'm hauling booty. Its so quick and easy to lightly preload the shifter lever (i.e. pull up lightly with toes), briefly let up a touch on the throttle, and then finish pulling up the shifter with your foot, followed by reapplying the throttle. If this is done correctly, it all happens all at once in a blink of an eye. The tranny won't know a difference and your clutch will thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

In my 450 I can pull a wheelie in 2nd or 3rd and hold it for a long time but then I can't get the shifting thing down. When standing I can't seem to get my foot under the shifter but sitting down I can but can't hold the wheelie as long when sitting so what am I doing wrong???